Forums > Social Chat > Another brainstorm last night...!

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I know there are alot of you that are traditionalists. You like to keep Poi true to its essence..yadda yadda yadda. BUT, i was thinking that this site (which I believe it is) is the POI mecca on the web. We should make this (i dont want to say "club")...but more like a brotherhood..or a secret society if you will. We could have I.D.cards with a number. Generate the #'s based on post # from the board to initialize the system.. Members with higher posts, will have lower card numbers...so on & so on.We can have someone that meets certain criteria be a represenative for a region. (either by state/city) Have that information listed so that when any of us travel, we can contact the rep for that area, and find a place to twirl & meet other people. This is great, especially if you are traveling alone.I think this would help introduce it new people, and expose to others what we know is a gret thing. We can hold performances that roam from region to region, or even have tournaments for memebers. Hell, we can even have member t-shirts, ill design the logo!After we become unified...then we can conquer the Earth.. grinIt would organize us while keeping Poi true to its orgins.. I know i am new to this, but twirling has embedded itself in me. It has absorbed all of my freetime. i know i will be doing this for a long time.Just an idea generating. I think it would help the art grow & thrive.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Yeah, and then we could have big 'eyes wide shut' type parties in huge mansions in New Jersey... smile

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
EXACTly!!! how could this have been overlooked???We could have wild fire twilring, bongo drum banging orgies..AHHHH the possibilities. grin------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
secret club hmmmmmmm.do i get a password.why? i feel the need to ask. i am quite happy as i am without another useless card in my wallet. it also strikes me that the number of posts that someone has changes all the time. ie. i could put up a hundred posts today and probably have the highest number (bar pele)the list of people is already here and there is that fire registry mailout which is trying to get people to build up lists of fire twirlers around the world for traveling fire twirlers. (i subscribed ages ago and i think its something to do with incendium)nice idea but i think its all kinda been thought of.

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Do we get a funny handshake too?? Like the world domination idea lots, but can it wait until after the festie season as we're all probably a bit busy 'til then. T-shirts sound funky, but what about a competition for the bestest, meanest design.....really like the idea about the "Big Guy" twirling planets - I've been working on a Pan figure twirling fire dragons - bit of a weird culture mix but it's looking OK.Not sure that a secret society would work on an open forum web site, maybe we need something more, well, erm secret - or am I missing something here?Noods wink

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
ya know super....there was a pretty active board here before this one that i posted dozens of times on. would those posts be taken into consideration? but really, my friends would think im even nutzier if i had an id (or license maybe?) for spinning fire. my parents think im stupid enought the way it is for playing with fire. hehehe.DRAKE

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Would we have to take a test? If so I am screwed as I don't test well.The way I see it, with the comparitively small amount of people on this board next to others...we are already a secret society!! smileI like the t-shirt idea alot and I like the regional contact/gathering thing, except alot of the people I would prolly concider regional contacts travel as well. I dunno.Hey Ali, do you think it's a bad or good thing, my number being high? And last I knew Simos beat me out by like, two.*sigh* Oh well. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I dont sleep well at night so i just think up shit to post on the message board in the morning. Secret handshake...i like that...oh oh oh wait!...We can brand ourselves on the tops of our wrists, then put a watch over it like in that movie, "The Skulls"..FINE!! you can t be in my supersecret cool fire club....hee hee grin "S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
STOP, stop, stop. Listen to yourselves.Why alienate ourselves from 'normal' society more than we allready do? Poi'ist (is that right? or is it poiers?), allready have traditions and customs that we all adher to, dependind on who and where we are twirling.I rekon that we should all send in designs for a T-shirt. Belonging to a world-wide poi club would kick ass. tongueAnd isn't the meet others data-base the same as the idea of region representatives, ish?Malcolm, We could all sent in our designs for you to sort out and organise printing and distribution. I kinda like the idea of different T-shirts depending on what type of fire you spin etc.For high quality performers, there t-shirts could be a diffferent colours than those who are recreational spinners, soley glow-stick-swingers, liquid dancers etc. What do ya reakon all?------------------------------------"some see the world as it is and ask why? Others see the world as they wasnt to and ask, why not?"

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Quick people start posting. The one with themost gets a card.Only kidding, I thinkit is a good idea about regional contacts,wealready have the meet others but to automaticcaly direct new people to us would be cool. would kinda make us moreof a community. sounds good.you got my vote.peace outgarbo tongue[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 29 March 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
The different types of shirts for different forms definitely get my props. But as far as a secret society et al sounds more like a forming religion; ie thou shalt not, thou cant... we are slim enough a group. To me, basically anyone with an interest in poi is already on the edge of society...------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I thought about forming an organisation awhile back. My thought was for more of a "proffesional" organiztion. For no other reason than to possibly get lower insurance (" Im a member of the international poi guild, certified to perform with fire....") Also, to cut the number of quacks who make the rest of us look bad. I think, being just the way it is right now, works just as good.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
KKK is all i have to say everyones equal (apparently)

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
KKK? umm.. they do *say* that..but history speaks for itself nay?

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
that is a very strange, fight-club-like comment. i wouldn't want this to be so exclusive. it's a growing art form, and in order to grow, others need to have access to it. this is one of the best access spots ever- so i think it's fine the way it is. just my opinion smile

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
this does sound like an interesting idea.CAINED-AND-UNABLE differnt t-shirts for differnt things sound cool but in some cases a single t-shirt would havet encompass several styles if the wearer does more than one thing (ie my self i do strings (w/ glowsticks) and sticks (glowsticks that is)). ------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
true that. maybe we could have a general poi shirt encompassing everything, and then specialty shirts for our favorite style; ie staff, poi, fire, glowstick....------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I've started a couple of sketches but the funny thing is I can really only draw girls well for the "spinner"!!!! I totally suck at the male form! *lol*Oh well...I'll keep trying.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
yeah, i checked out your pics. you should post whatever you come up for shirt designs on your site... even if they are just grrrls! i am an artist sometimes, but i cant do figures. i only do surreal crazy stuff... frown ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

onewheeledweirdomember
35 posts

Posted:
I don't want another number I've got enough of the F%*kers already...