brzyoungnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
i have just bought some poi, anyone willing to give me any tips or tricks would be helpful. so far i can fowards and backwards(keeps going inwards thou confused) turns, they are bean bag poi cos the lady said that was the best for begginers. thanks

smile i love snow Partrol:)

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Dip them in set fire to them asap for a much more impressive effect!

no... DONT, just kidding smile

I think there's a link at the top with lots of free lessons to help you get started.

(welcome to the hop boards, by the way)

smile

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
The lessons here are great, if you get stuck on anything just do a search and there will be lots of hints and tips in the Poi Move section

https://www.domorepoi.com/lessons_grandparent.php
has some good lessons as does

https://www.motsplace.com/poi/poi.html
which has some great vids to help you learn

You might want to make yourself an intro in the Introductions section so that we can all get to know you!

Also, the easiest poi to learn with are sock poi, just get some long socks (the more stripey and colourful the better!!) and put a juggling ball/bean bag in each one and ..swing!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Sock poi are definately the easiest to learn with, but tailed poi are advisable as they make you learn to keep to your planes and perform tricks smoothly and look better from the start. They also slow the movements down making it easier to learn.I would recomend putting tennis balls in the socks, as they are lighter than juggling balls and tire your arms out less, also giving you more control. (try cutting a cross in one side of the tennis balls and a single slit in the other side to make them hurt less when you hit yourself. I also recommend getting the book 'poi spinning' by MIchel Kahn,published by butterfingers, I think they sell it on the online shop here (click on the link at the top). Also have a look round the shop anyway, they have beginners sets here, (although I wouldn't reccomend the scks they sell here as I find them too stretchy- apart from that the shops great and very quick and reliable service).

Also, try searching in the meet others forum to find other freindly poisters in your area that may be willing to help you. If there is no existing post, why not advertise your area yourself.

And Welcome! biggrin

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by: .:star:.

The lessons here are great, if you get stuck on anything just do a search and there will be lots of hints and tips in the Poi Move section

https://www.domorepoi.com/lessons_grandparent.php
has some good lessons as does

https://www.motsplace.com/poi/poi.html
which has some great vids to help you learn

You might want to make yourself an intro in the Introductions section so that we can all get to know you!

Also, the easiest poi to learn with are sock poi, just get some long socks (the more stripey and colourful the better!!) and put a juggling ball/bean bag in each one and ..swing!

What Starpoi said biggrin. Sock poi dont tangle as much and look funkier

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

brzyoungnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
thanks,people!!!

brzyoungnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
just come across a problem, my string is starting to break i have only had my poi 3 days :-S

georgia knewbie
19 posts

Posted:
it doesnt say where your from but.... if you're from the uk if you buy stuff off this site you have to pay tax on it when it arrives. i didn't know that and i had to keep the postman waiting for ages while i hunted around for my money!

but yeah buy that book by michal kahn- it's really good!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
You don't always have to pay tax on HoP stuff, you are just unlucky if you do! I've ordered lots and not had to pay tax on it but i know others who have.

If you need new string for your poi make sure you used a braided cord rather than a twisted one or it will go all funny after a few spins biggrin

Happy Spinning

Sic Kittymember
167 posts

Posted:
I'm from the US and I gotta pay taxes when I order something. But they add it all up right then.

p.s. I really want that Michal Kahn book, I keep putting it on my b-day/christmas wish lists but nobody ever buys it. Suppose I'll have to save up and buy it myself....

You've just been attacked by:
SIC KITTY!
*cackles maniacally*
I suffer...*sob*...because I am better.

I don't really believe that.... *coughs*