HI NRG RaverBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
OK so i hear alot about the cage but i have yet to see any pics . confusedperhaps yall could post them up for some ideas.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I assume you're talking about cages for steel wool sparkly poi. I remember there was some pics in the gallery somewhere, about a year and a half ago. Anyways I used metal fabric from the garden section (near where the chicken wire is) of that big nationwide hardware store. It's a little hard to bend and looks like little squares that are sturdier and has smaller holes than chicken wire. I just bent it into a cylinder and cut a circle out for the top and bottom, attached with bailing wire, leaving the top easy to open for inserting the steel wool. added more wire to attache a quicklink and chain/handles... hope this helps.

I AM working.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
If you go black bush style and have solid sides so it only burns out the bottom it lasts longer. Tin can, or whatever you got just make sure its strong enough

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

SirEggomember
37 posts

Posted:
ok heres something to think about, the sparkler Poi I use is O clamps and steel wool the steel wool burns off so the cage isnt really practical.

where there are ashes from those burnt by flame
the phoenix rises again and again.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Some people just secure the wire wol to thier wicks with strong wire, ensuring that it won't come off. I notice that you're quite new t this so please can I warn you to be careful as sparkly poi are dangerous. The sparkles are actually bits of molten metal flying off your poi that will hit you, and anyne/anything surrounding you, so make sure you are in a clear safe area and if you have any spectators, that they are standing well away. Most people advise wearing saftey goggles to avoid getting any of that burning metal in your eyes. Also ensure you wear appropriate clothing and wet your hair. Have Fun!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

HI NRG RaverBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
well the only problem is that im the first to spin fire here in my city. Im trying to get more people into poi .I get alot of attention for this (even getting paid to perform at clubs).So this sparkley poi is the next step . I plan to let the local news to come by and see the show when i get it down. hopefully this could promote poi in my area. thanks for the help guys.

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
ok, can someone explain to me in very simple non technical girl type terms, the beginners guide to first spinning with wire wool. been meaning to try it for years and fully intend to on the beach this summer one evening. precautions....what to dos.....exactly what to buy, how much to use, how to attach etc.....my poi are on cables if that makes any difference.

thankyouuuuuuuu smile)

bouncebouncebounce

daisy xx

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Well assuming you've got your cages figured out.. Usually you don't need to use any sort of fuel to get them started, even just a 9v battery will get them going most of the time.

If you've got 'delicate' skin, or aren't used to sparks I'd advise long sleeve (cotton) shirt that you won't mind if it gets burnt, possibly gloves, something for your hair, and goggles of some sort to protect your eyes. Trust me the last thing you want is molten steel in them.

Other than that, spin hard and fast, keep it simple to things like weaves and fountains. Butterflies work but I find them slightly more difficult to pull off..

It's important to maintain control of them, the balance is going to be different than other poi. Chances are there will be a nice glowing red blob of slag on them when you're done spinning, so its important not to hit yourself with that.

Honeslty though I've only done it a handful of times so I'm probably not the best one to be talking

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals