Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Ok firstly....I have done a search, i know there are other meaning of life threads but this one asks a specific question for people to answer so i thought that it deserved a thread of its own biggrin

I've been doing my psychology work all afternoon and this exercise I have found really interesting and somewhat difficult!

firstly a little extract from my textbook

The Austrian therapist Viktor Frankl (1905-1997) who emphasized our need for meaning

Frankl distinguishes four ways in which personal meaning may be sought. One way is through actions, in particular creative activity. By building a machine, creating a garden, a poem or a painting we give value and meaning to our life. A second way is through experience - of beauty, nature or music, for example. A third way is through love, 'encountering another unique being in the very uniqueness of this human being' (Frankl, 1959, p.69). Finally, in situations of inescapable difficulty, we may find meaning through fortitude. For example, Frankl himself spent several years incarcerated in Auschwitz and Dachau. He found that one way in which some prisoners were able to give meaning to their lives, even in these awful circumstances, was by the strength of spirit with which they bore their suffering.

List three ways in which meaning is given to your life. One way of distinguishing these is to think of aspects of your life (such as a relationship or activity) which, if they were no longer possible, would significantly detract from the meaning which life has for you. Do these come within one or other of the categories which Frankl suggests? Are there other categories you would want to add (e.g. spiritual meaning, religious belief, having children)?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dream

hence why i like star's question to give three of the things that you consider to give meaning to life... and hate the title of the thread.

yeah but thats a problem as i have no answer to those three points, does that mean i have no meaning to live?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
dream, there is no inherent meaning to life.

For sure people “add†an infinite number of meanings to life, including belief in supernatural beings.

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Noddy

42!!

Ill second that!!

LilBBoySILVER Member
Discoverer of Rainbow Cheese
143 posts

Posted:
I think it's about pro-creation. Continuing the human race. Looking after the Earth. Loving each other. Living in harmony. Stuff like that. biggrin

Time does not exist. In theory, everything with a beginning has an end. Therefore, only things with an end can have a beginning. As time has no end, it has no beginning, therefore does not exist. GO PHILOSOPHY!!!
Brittle Week was the shizz!!!

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
we are animals, same as monkeys, fish, insects, and bacterium. we have but one purpose. to bone one another, to expand the. that is it. no otherworldly, pray to god malarky. everything you do boils down to sex.

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Whoever dies with the most offspring wins. That's my motto.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
So I'm guessing chavs who've been having babies since high school will conquer all...

Should I even enter Pat....? tongue

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
its true that stupid people are multiplying quicker and at a younger age, but are also dying younger cos they all take smack. so it kinda evens out

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
The search for a 'meaning of life' is just part of the human ego complex...

Written by:

Once upon a time, in some out of the way corner of that universe which is dispersed into numberless twinkling solar systems, there was a star upon which clever beasts invented knowing. That was the most arrogant and mendacious minute of "world history," but nevertheless, it was only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths, the star cooled and congealed, and the clever beasts had to die. _One might invent such a fable, and yet he still would not have adequately illustrated how miserable, how shadowy and transient, how aimless and arbitrary the human intellect looks within nature. There were eternities during which it did not exist. And when it is all over with the human intellect, nothing will have happened. For this intellect has no additional mission which would lead it beyond human life. Rather, it is human, and only its possessor and begetter takes it so solemnly-as though the world's axis turned within it. But if we could communicate with the gnat, we would learn that he likewise flies through the air with the same solemnity, that he feels the flying center of the universe within himself. There is nothing so reprehensible and unimportant in nature that it would not immediately swell up like a balloon at the slightest puff of this power of knowing. And just as every porter wants to have an admirer, so even the proudest of men, the philosopher, supposes that he sees on all sides the eyes of the universe telescopically focused upon his action and thought.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
the meaning of life?

you find your own meaning

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
The meaning of Life is the pursuit of self gratification and hapiness.

Or....Hats, poeple aren't wearing enough of them.

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I put forth the idea that the meaning of life was once written in the night sky, but over the years it faded away until all that was left were the dots of the I's and the J's and the fullstops. In conclusion, we know that there were lots of I's, J's and fullstops.

In all seriousness though, do we really need a meaning of life, can we not just live it, embrace it and enjoy it to the fullest extent and relish the moments along the way. meditate

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I think we do need a meaning, otherwise we just end up feeling alienated and that there is no point. I dont know about you guys, but if I didnt have a meaning to live, I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself! what'd be the point of being alive otherwise if there was no meaning? smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I think the meaning of life is need.

This makes it specific to the individual.

i.e- we all need to survive, therefore for everyone one of the meanings of life is survival, keeping alive and reproducing.

For more advanced life forms emotional needs come into it too, wether it be having somebody to make you feel loved, indulging in a hobby that gives you joy, or simply having a job that pays well.

You choose the meaning of your life, its whatever you need it to be.

smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stone

there is no meaning

its a story we make up to feed our egos

Written by: Maus

for maore advanced life forms...............

wink right on Stone.

SeventyMilesBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG. the meaning of life is "to save ourselves and others from suffering." like, i mean really, when you think about it thats why we do anything isnt it? even subconciouisly thats why we do things. put some deep thought into this one cuz its the true meaning of life

"A beautiful day. When it ends nothing remains the way it was..."

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SeventyMiles

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG. the meaning of life is "to save ourselves and others from suffering." like, i mean really, when you think about it thats why we do anything isnt it? even subconciouisly thats why we do things. put some deep thought into this one cuz its the true meaning of life

I disagree with your first statemant. This thread asked for our opinions. Opinions are created by the individual and we each have a right to express our opinions, and by saying 'YOU ARE ALL WRONG' in all caps is hardly going to make anybody change their mind now is it...

The meaning to my life is love and creativity. Simple as smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
but his opinion is that we're all wrong wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
does "we" include himself? wink

maybe it would help if he expanded on his belief instead of leaving us poking fun?

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SeventyMiles

The meaning of life is "to save ourselves and others from suffering." like, i mean really, when you think about it thats why we do anything isnt it? even subconciouisly thats why we do things.

So what happens when we do something that makes others suffer? For example, people running drug rehab programs - they put their clients through the suffering of detox... Yet I don't see anyone saying their life is meaningless...

Some people derive meaning from inflicting suffering... Hmm.. confused

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
What about sadists? They need to cause pain in order to find meaning in their lives. It was on the internet, so I know it is true.

Oh yeah, and Masochists. They like suffering.

Oh wait, maybe your theory is that the meaning of life isn't actually invented by the individual mind, but exists outside of us. Therefore, we could invent things and claim that it makes our lives meaningful, but be wrong.

Is asking "what is the meaning of life" more like asking "what color is mars" or "what is your favorite color"? Is it something that we just invent for ourselves, or something that exists independent of us?

In other words, could someone claim that a particular thing gives their life meaning, but be incorrect?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
no.

asking "whats the meaning of life" (which this thread is not doing) is comparable to asking "whats your favourite colour" because both can change as you change and its just your personal opinion.

i dont beleive there is some authoritive meaning of life, but maybe that will change in the future.

poigirlsnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
The meaning of life is............................................................................................................................................................... ubbrollsmile............................................. rolleyes............................................................................ ubblol..................................................42!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
*was hoping the thread contained the answer* bugger

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
The meaning of life is simply the search for the meaning. Mr adams had that one right from the start.

Cheers

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well, are we/ am I eligible to give meaning to my own life, or am I to find out, what meaning "creation" has initially provided?

But this takes one too far I guess...

Meaning of life to me:

Find out WHO I am, WHAT I can do and whether or not it MAKES SENSE to do it... but basically I suppose that the meaning of life is life itself (to live it I mean)... Anything on top is just the cherry on the cream...

[Edit I] Ah yes and sorry I forgot: Collecting ringing tones and download music from the internet definately comes to be an essential part [edit II: to pursue] the meaning of life, as well as posting in forums...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1153223048)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Flashpoint, I think there is more to life than spending one’s time searching for some esoteric meaning, like for example doing something to make a difference.

Form my point of view there is light and dark. After all, Jesus said I am the way, the light, and the truth. I think the the secret to light and life is best summed up in the quote by Albert Einstein, which gets posted every now and then at HOP.

“A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

An optical delusion of his consciousness would be searching for some meaning to life.

wink
EDITED_BY: Stone (1153202677)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i was really liking that until the last sentence, then a human started speaking. saying "our task must be" IS giving a meaning to our lives.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Before I start... IMHO...

The search for meaning is often more important than the meaning itself

Seek and ye shall find? The "seek" part is the action, but also the result. There is no ultimate end other than death. Its life we experience, not a series of "answers" or "judgements".

By the way, your Einstein quote:

Written by:

“A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

basically refers to this search.

One of the goals of Buddhist religion (stop me if im wrong, im crap at comparative philosophy) is to seek enlightenment. Through this search, you touch other people, creatures etc and they learn from you. Paths are just that. When you realise that the search itself is the cause for searching, then you sit back, concentrate on yourself and others, and there it is, the glory of the meaning of life. I used to sum it up like this "the meaning of life is to prepare for death" Reduce that, as I have done recently myself, and boom!

"The meaning of life is to live"

Edit: thats the answer to the question, but how you live your life, the path you choose, the decisions you make, the choice of love or hate, light or dark, or other anthropomorphic considerations, are ultimately a search for a truth.

Hell, i think there IS no esoteric meaning, but if we were put here for a reason, then my opinion of what the reason is is that we should experience.
EDITED_BY: =Flashpoint= (1153264843)

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Page: