Forums > Social Discussion > Travel Advice: Anyone been to Fiji?

Login/Join to Participate

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone,

in a few hours we will be booked on a flight to Fiji leaving next month, and I dont know anything about it. I was wondering if anyone had been there and could shed some light / give advice on travelling there? Where are the best places to go (bearing in mind we arent made of money - backpacker / budget spots would probly suit us most) and things to do? I think we will probly end up with about 12 days there.

We really want to find a beautiful quite beach someplace...to get some quality spinning and juggling done smile

Hope you can help!

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I spent a month camped on a beach there and loved it to the bottom of my heart!

I stayed on Waya Is, in the Yasawa Islands at Octopus Resort. The Yasawas are the group of islands that Blue Lagoon (a la Brooke Shields) was filmed in; true tropical paradise.

It was amazing - the reef was right there on the beach and the snorkelling was almost a spiritual experience. The now seem to offer diving courses as well, which they didn't have when I was there.

Actually, come to think of it, I did my first ever double staff performance at Octopus, for the locals and tourists in exchange for a bar tab one night.

Octopus is quiet, the food is okay, served in a sand floored bure with no walls, and the locals are beautiful. I remember coming out of the ocean one afternoon and my (then) waist length hair was a mass of knots. Without even asking, I soon had a group of 4 women with afro combs standing around me battling my tangles.

They are very Baptist - no nudity/toplessness on the beaches.

https://www.octopusresort.com/

Dorms beds $25 per night. Camping $20 per night. Prices have increased considerably since I was there in 2000.

It took over 3hrs by small boat to get there from Lautoka Marina. I honestly thought I was going to die on that boatride - we sailed directly into a massive storm... the entire journey had me obsessing over the fact that I was too young and beautiful to die.

two flashy thumbs up for Octopus resort.

PS - dangerboy also spent several months living in Fiji on his trip back to Canada in 2004. Let me know if you need his email addy.
EDITED_BY: flash fire (1118281073)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Moon Pixie and Bec are there at the moment performing... I will direct them to this thread when they get back... or they get back on sunday if you want to pm them!! hug hug hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I've never been, but I'd love to go! It looks like one of the most beautiful places in the world! Have a great time.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Helen_of_Poi was also there sometime towards the end of last year. would be glad to direct her towards your thread....

smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
well we're booked in smile only going for a week but thats all the time we can really afford at this stage. If its cool I can imagine we'll be going back smile

At this stage a package deal to octopus resort is looking well tempting smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I spent a couple of weeks there in October of last year - it was amazing peace

You're probably flying in to Nadi - get out of there as soon as possible. It's not awful or anything, but compared to the islands...

Me and Squarefish took a trip around the Yasawa Islands with a company called Ultimate Adventures, staying 1 or two nights on a bunch of different islands. On all the small islands your food is included, and it's amazing. i put on so much weight in Fiji...
Of the different resorts i stayed in, i'd recommend Coral View, on Tavewa Island, Kuata (but make sure to be there on a Tuesday - it's "Fiji Night" and they have an amazing feast, and a Kava ceremony), and South Sea Island (but go there midweek, as it's really busy at weekends).

I think the cheapest way to see the islands is to get a thing called a Bula pass from Ultimate Adventures - basically a boat pass for a set amount of days, and an accomodation pass - which gets you food and accomodation - and then you can island-hop to your heart's content.

Some "don'ts":
Don't get sunburnt, even though it's cloudy and you think you'll be ok, like we did
Don't stay in a place called Club Mecca near Sigatoka - it has rats
Don't stay in Sunrise on Nanuya Lailai - we met people who were ravaged by bedbugs there.

Do:
Drink kava
Race crabs
Swim/snorkel/dive as much as possible - bliss
Lie in hammocks eating fresh pineapple wondering why you don't live somewhere this nice sunny

And mainly: have a great time!

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
BULA!

ahhhhhh.... just returned from a fleeting visit to Fiji... and it is *such* a beautiful part of the world!!

I don't think I have too much useful info, as we were only there 3 days and rehearsing & performing for a bit of the time.. but we managed to squeeze in some time on the water & snorkelling... and massages on the beach.. drinking pina coladas (sp?) out of coconuts... and eating so much *yummy* food... I really don't think you could go wrong anywhere there.. the locals are soooooo beautiful & friendly.. the scenery gorgeous, and heaps of fun things to do..

hmmmmmm... falling back into Fiji bliss...

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Drinking Kava and racing crabs are both cool - watching dogs dig for crabs is also cool. Don't get surnburnt - i put on factor 30 on my front, fell asleep and rolled over, to wake up with a VERY red back (one hours boat ride from the nearest phamarcy). Had to wear a t-shirt for the rest of the time i was there, not much fun. Take aftersun and lots of suncream.

I went to Leluvia Island ubblove off Suva and The Beachouse on the Coral Coast. Beachouse has some great snorkelling. Don't go to Beachcomber - very expensive and touristy. Yuck!

Yes, get out of Nadi ASAP. If you are in Suva don't tell any local your name - they'll have you buying a wooden cross with your name on in no time. Agree on a price before you get in a taxi, but I wouldn't advise going too far in them. Take the local buses - they're very dark and cool.

Oh, and when I was there in 1998 there were only two cashpoints - one in Nadi (at airport) and another at Suva. Keep this in mind - i doubt it's changed too much since then.

Have a great time...and tell us all about it when u get back!

hug

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
No travel advice, except you will love it and the people are amazing. I used to go there for holidays when I was a kid, and have very fond memories of being taken care of by local people at the place we stayed.

They adored me and my sister cos of our little weird white fairheadedness. And we in turn adored them. I can remember holding one woman's hand and turning it over, being fascinated by how the back was tanned and brown, and the palm was creamy light coloured.

smile

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
aaaah it's a small agony reading this! I just spent all my spare dosh sending my young daughter on a trip to UK and Ibiza to stay with friends and family for a couple of months.... the alternative was for us both to take a week or two in Fiji...

I'm happy I have given her the change to break out of the mid-teen rut and build some healthy travel expertise... and it really wasn't that possible for me to take time of various commitments right now.... but i think I am still owed my time in Fiji!!!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....