Page:
animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Let's talk about beards.

I like them biggrin

What are your views? Do you have one? what is your favourite type (If you have a favourite)? do you want one but can't have one?

My friend has an awesome goatee with mustache thing going on: long chin hair (perfect for thoughtful stroking) and a 'tache that can curl at the ends!! I want one, it looks so much fun!!

At the moment, I have the 'Jazz Spot' (my fiancee didn't like the biblical look, but then, she hasn't seen this one on me yet)...

Anyways,

Let's talk about beards.

:beardwearingsmiley:

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol Jinkies!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I wear a goatee out of shear lazyness and spitefull feeling towards razor blades.

"a man without a beard is like a woman with one."

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
No, beards not good, why hide your gorgeous faces?

besides, theres only enough room for one prickly one in my relationships wink

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Beards aren't about hiding.

fact is that most men with beards have them because they like the way they look; it's a form of self-expression in the same way that clothes and make-up are.

It's not to do with hiding your face; 'enhancing' might be a more accurate description.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
I think beards rock ubbrollsmile

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Besides, you'll have a beard unless you do something about it... Unless you're a woman. Of course, there are exceptions though. wink

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I want one...and am in the processes (only 18) but all the females I know seem to discourage this...why is that? ;x

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I have no idea... Just grow it, then let them stroke it. They'll change their mind... tongue

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

I'm with prickly on this one.

Beards are PRICKLY. And they hide the face. I hate kissing beards.

And then, boys, do recall that those of you with facial hair, especially goatees, have a PORCUPINE STRAPPED TO YOUR CHIN.

Do you have any idea how much that can HURT when you... eek

Walk into any gay bar/club (other than a leather bar because they're wierd and like pain) and you'll see that 99% of the guys are clean-shaven. We know.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i'm wearing a 'full' beard at the moment. i say full in '' because its only the goatee and moustache that actually look decentish, the cheeks look really thin and sparse. which kinda sucks.

I mainly wear one because i look about 12 without one frown

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
maybe thats what i should do, grow a beard to look older?
what do people think?

Do we sleep when we die?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: pricklyleaf

I'm with prickly on this one.

Beards are PRICKLY. And they hide the face. I hate kissing beards.

And then, boys, do recall that those of you with facial hair, especially goatees, have a PORCUPINE STRAPPED TO YOUR CHIN.

Do you have any idea how much that can HURT when you... eek

Walk into any gay bar/club (other than a leather bar because they're wierd and like pain) and you'll see that 99% of the guys are clean-shaven. We know.

i don't know about that - I get hit on by guys way more often with a goatee than without.

of course that could have something to do with the fact that I have a goatee 95% of the time...

-v-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

i don't know about that - I get hit on by guys way more often with a goatee than without.

of course that could have something to do with the fact that I have a goatee 95% of the time...

Vance, you get hit on because you're hot. ubblove

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
wink

one other thing - beards are a lot less prickly than stuble - and I'll be damned if I am going to scrape sharp metal across my face everyday, aging my precious mug 2 to 3 times faster than normal, just because someone gets picky about what they kiss.

if you want to kiss a smooth face - go kiss a woman!

(I still love you lightning!)

-v-

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Beards aren't about hiding.

fact is that most men with beards have them because they like the way they look; it's a form of self-expression in the same way that clothes and make-up are.

It's not to do with hiding your face; 'enhancing' might be a more accurate description.

But the problem is most people, especially women don't see it that way, I'm sure I've read some phsycology tests about it somewhere. (can't find it but found entertaining website below to make up for it!) On a subconscious level many see people with beards as hiding something, because you cannot see the persons face. Also many people see people with beards as dirty. However, men with beards are also seen to be more masculine.

Personally, I don't like them. They hurt, a lot, no matter the length (although stubble hurts more).

Babies with Beards-click me

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
"beard=hiding something" is often heard; and presumably you're right- some people actually think that way.

My feeling is that it is, at least in part, due to the fact that "beard=hiding something" tends to go unchallenged.

So I'm just taking this opportunity to challenge the myth.

1. In my eyes, to seriously believe that a man who chooses to have a beard is trying to hide something, is out-and-out prejudice.

Possibly a damaging prejudice, for example, if men with beards face suspicion in job interviews.

2. There are levels of beards- while a full-on biblical style unkempt foot-long beard could be used to hide facial expressions, the majority of beards do not do so eg, small goatees, or close cropped stubble style beards.

3. If men with beards are hiding something, wouldn't the same apply to women who use make-up?

4. Some men are cultirally obliged to wear a beard, for example, some muslims.

Forty years ago, if psychology tests had been performed amongst white middle class UK-ers, I'm sure they would have established that they considered black people to be untrustworthy and suspicious.

That was prejudice, the key to sorting out it wasn't to just say 'that's the way it is'; instead it needed to be challenged till everyone understood that it was pure prejudice.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
pricklyleaf....that is the scariest website ever!

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

neckbeards rule!!!!
(note. not a pic of me)

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

1"1. In my eyes, to seriously believe that a man who chooses to have a beard is trying to hide something, is out-and-out prejudice.

Possibly a damaging prejudice, for example, if men with beards face suspicion in job interviews.

2. If men with beards are hiding something, wouldn't the same apply to women who use make-up?

1. I'm not suggesting that men grow beards with the purpose of hiding something, just that people on a subconscious level, interpret men with beards to be hiding something. Also I got the 'dirty' thing off a website promoting beards.
I agree this is ridiculous and wrong, but as you know First impressions go on to form the main part of how you percieve a person, and so looks mean a lot in this way, which is why it happens.

2. I agree totally, but this is a discussion on beards, which is why it hasn't been brought up before. I don't personally wear make up, but many women wear it to cover up blemishes, draw attention away from features they don't like and draw attention to features they do. And yes, many women are therefore hiding their insecurities behind make-up, especially those women who won't leave the house without any on. But women wearing make up are usually conciously 'hiding' themselves, the nature of putting make up on means you think about what you are trying to hide and what you are trying to draw attention to (if anything), wheras a man growing a beared probably doesn't think at all about the fact he's trying t hide certain features/draw attention to others, certainly not to the same extent, he is probably more concerned with making the beard look good/trendy/or just not bothering shaving (which is fair enough). The only example that I can think of at the moment where this is not the case, is men who grow beards to hide what they see as a weak jawline, that they grow to look more masculine, where it is a concious effort to hide their jawline.

But I'm not sugggesting for one minute that this means they are trying to hide their personality/cannot be trusted. Mearly that because of the way we form impressions about people, SUB-CONSCIOUSLY, people can think SUB-CONCIOUSLY that the person is hiding something.

When I said in my origional post that I think you misinterpreted, is that a beard (any beard that has some fluffiness to it, even when it doesn't have sideburns or whatever) is covering up a persons face, and you cant see what they look like under the beard.

Plus NONE of this changes the fact that beards of any length, particulary stubble, regardless of aesthetic issues HURT a lot! wink

Ralph Waldo Emerson

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
That makes sense.

I'd question that it's always subconscious; I think that as the 'beard=hiding' thing is often verbalised, that, for some, taking that on board is a conscious matter.

I also feel that it's possible that the extent of this prejudice against beards is possibly exagerated; I certainly don't, consciously or sub-consciously, consider those with beards to be hiding something, and I would think that anyone with a degree of intelligence/perception would also tend not to fall for it.

Lastly, I'll point out that, amongst cultures where beards for men are the norm, it is those who shave, who tend to be seen with suspicion, or who are perceived as 'hiding' something.

I'm not particularly disagreeing with you on anything here; we both seem to agree that the prejudice exists. I'm just posting this opinion so that those who do believe 'beards=hiding', whether on a conscious or subconscious level will maybe reflect, and realise that it is a prejudice.

As for beards hurting, I can't speak from personal experience smile

However, I've heard that beards maintained with clippers do not have anywhere the degree of prickliness that stubble, or beards grown from stubble, have.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Beard have always and will always remind me of Mr Twit. Bush and full of old food and goodness knows what else...GROSS!!!!
Clean shaven is best.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

twofingerfreedomBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
i have an awesome beard

ive had it since i was 15 and feel naked without it!!!

plus shaving does my head in!!

black gloves,green socks......purple hair

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
i either shave regularly or let myself get stubbly then shave, depends how lazy im feeling, in winter i shave less often, as i get lazy and cold in winter. my gf doesnt mind so that routine works for me. i will NEVER grow a full on beard tho, just dont think i would like it, and a full on beard needs as much work as being clean shavin al the time, and the bottom line is, im lazy.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
A bit of soft stubble, yum smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Looking back at this beard=hiding argument, I can't help but think that the beard is naturally there. So having it isn't really hiding anything. umm

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Shaving is just hiding what you'd naturally look like smile

I've stuck with the look Johnny Depp has in Pirates of the Carribean since my beard has been thick enough (He nicked my look!).

I can't shave, as the hair grows really fast, and is very thick, so it's really painful to cut short. I can shave twice a day and still have nasty stubble all the time. It's the kind you can strike matches on wink

I always thought beards were a sign of wisdom, like they're somehow used to filter it out of the air smile

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

WonderlushBRONZE Member
Haven't you heard? I come in six-packs now.
134 posts

Posted:
I hate shaving(sensitive skin) and always seem to gravitate back to the beard thing. I feel kinda naked without facial hair, actually. I like the way I look both ways, but having a beard just feels more natural to me.

If you can talk you can sing / If you can walk you can dance

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Having a beard IS more natural. wink

Thanks polarity for finding the words I was looking for! hug

Flame SwirlWeilder of the P.E.T.S.O.C.K.
247 posts

Posted:
I like beards, I dont know why but I do... Mabey it's that my dad, grandad, uncles etc. have all had beards. Mabey it's something else alltogether.
shrug

I myself have sidies, a gotee and a mo... I usualy shave the bits inbetween but being lazy does meen this only happens a few times a week and leaves me with some stubble most of the time. frown
I don't really like the way I look without facial hair, although it has been some years now since I shaved it all off. Besides I have no reason to. It's a nice ginger colour and I can stroke it thoughtfully, which I do often. smile

Reality is mass beleif...

Feed me and I will grow, give me drink and I will die...

I'll lap at your heels, if you give me the chance. Though I won't fetch or stay, I surely will dance...

Enjoy, be happy, and don't forget to breathe...

Delirium_Starmember
73 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seraphire

I want one...and am in the processes (only 18) but all the females I know seem to discourage this...why is that? ;x

Chris. Darling. I have had previous boyfriends with beards and I just personally don't like them. They just get irritating but by all means grow a beard if you really want hunny. It's your body and I won't stop you from doing what you want. You can always experiment....Grow one see if you like it, if not shave it off. Don't worry I won't really do what I said I'll do if you grew one *hug*

+†Delirium_57412†+

Page: