Forums > Social Discussion > What do you do when you run out of energy and crash?

Login/Join to Participate

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hello Everyone smile

I've recently started to reaslise how bi-polar i am in terms of enjoying myself. i get periods of great happiness and joy joy and then suddenly i run out of steam and its off down to the depths of self pity and paranoid over stressed negative thinking and its always inversly porpotional to how happy i was initially. Im learing to recognise that sometimes there are normal factors that bring me down. Tiredness, hunger and low sugar are especially dangerous and so im trying to take these as they are i.e. dont panic, eat, sleep and then think about it. I find it very hard to pick myself up out of these holes (especially if there are current issues that need dealing with) and up until now i've always relied on other people to help me. Its gotten to the point now though that im putting a strain on the people i love the most and its not fair.

So what do you do? Does anybody manage to maintain a healthy amount of positive energy consistantly? It used to be it changed with the seasons for me. Now its every other day.

How do you deal with your bad days? Hot bath? Massage? Isolation? Group hugs? Chocolate? Running, Screaming, Crying, Laughing ?

Much love to you all.

a

Love is the law.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Depends on how bad it is and what time of day. Somwtimes a bath (especially if you can find lemony scented things to put in it) helps.

Making myself get off my backside and do something useful helps most of the time. But that's often rather hard to do!

This week I've been swimming twice (before work this morning!) and seem to have bags more positive energy, so I'm going to try to keep that up.

If you want another person to talk too then you know where I am sweetie. Hope you manage to find something which helps.

hug hug hug kiss

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I've started doing Yoga every day for an hour, that is really helping with my moods. I've done Yoga for years, but it's been a while now since i've practiced every day. It makes me feel more balanced, I'm less prone to being so excitable when happy and so exhausted when I'm not. Gives me peace of mind for a bit so I can put things into perspective. smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Thank you kat, your a sweety, i'll see you soon and crush you with hugs smile

good point there Tea Fairy, I started yoga classes a few weeks ago and i respond really well to them, need to be doing a bit more of it though. The lazy bug gets me alot. Especially on work days when i just want to go home and throw myself out on the bed.

I finish my job to go be a performer in a few days, this is really the final hurdle.

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
hug

Dude i know what you mean - your in same sorta boat as me from what i gather - working 24/7 in proper job and fire troupe thingy wink

I get days when i really am knackerd and it does bring you down, but i find that doing something on my own or with someone close who has nothing to do with my everyday life - ie fire or work, it helps me wind down........... it may be a jam on some strings with my cousin, a walk on my own somewhere, i may even watch tv eek all of which i must add involves a spliff smile ubblol

But thats just me smile

Wherever you end up in life dude, everything else can be down as long as you keep your chin up cool .....even if you have to prop it with a staff or summit wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I have the same cycles in my life, and I wish I knew the answer... good food certainly helps though, I think a sugar and caffeine based diet doesn't help much. Hope you feel better soon mate hug

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Some things that help me get over bad days (which are very rare these days)...

Just being comfortable with myself and at peace with who I am
Knowing that tomorrow will be a better day than today if something went wonky
Taking time out for me to just be and do something I enjoy (even if it means missing a huge party)
Cooking myself a nice, healthy meal
Writing an actual hand-written letter to someone
Making others smile (this one is usually done on my walk to/from work each day - smiling at complete strangers is grand because they usually smile back)
creating a mix CD when you are happy to be played when you are having a bad day so that you can remember the happy stuff

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
ado-p.... First of all hug hug hug It's difficult but it passes... Take a break. I find that both swimming and mindless cycling help. You will be fine and we'll be here for you no matter what, don't worry too much hug

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Doop hun, I'm sorry I'm not around so much in the day time..... stupid work expects me to show up and everything or they won't pay me Pffft! Stupid people.

You know where I am if you need me though. Just mail me and I'll get on MSN asap. Remember that you are never alone and that the bad feelings will pass. hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I make sure that I get a little down time every day. Down time means time for myself, no one else. No interuptions, no outside distractions. I tend to do various things that will help my mind focus. Weaving, dancing around the room, playing a musical instrument

But sometimes you just need to talk and off load, there's no way around it. At this time I want to thank my dumping ground for being there.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Talking to enchanting people works well for me, but when thats not possible, havnig somewone supportive give me a kickstart to something is great. When neither of those are about, i usually lie in bed, but thats not realy helpful......
Schedules and commitments help me keep rom doing it, but of course too many make me even more tired.......

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
thanks ya'll hug

not to worry anyone though, this doop has not fallen to the depths of depression. i've just recently noticed a pattern in the times i start to feel a bit crap. like i said above. Alot of times, Its because, I havent eaten properly in a few days (every weekend), I havent slept properly in a few days (every weekend), Low blood sugar or even worse... sugar come down.... all these aside, it might be alot easier to tackle the actual problems as they arrise...

recognising this alone is a big help. i've decided now that if i am feeling down that i am not allowed to make any important descisions, not allowed to tell my friends and family im pissed with them (coz chances are im not really) and not allowed to wallow in my room

and most importantly if im feeling down, it can be just that (for any number of reasons) and doesnt have to be attributed to any particular event or person in my life, i can try wait till it passes and then see whats going on.

i worry constantly about the future (especially ow that the time to leave my job has come so close - 3 days!!!), i've also realised that worrying is a long term habit... a bad habit...

so how do you kick a worrying habit?

keep em coming. everyone has a bad day. what do you do?

love and light

a

ps

its very nice to know that i have friends that are keeping an eye out. i would do the same for any and all. hug

Love is the law.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

its very nice to know that i have friends that are keeping an eye out. i would do the same for any and all. hug

It's cos we all love you! Silly doop. rolleyes

hug biggrin

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Getting to the other side smile

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Good luck with finding balance. It is something I struggle with all the time!

I would suggest really watching your blood sugar levels, consistantly eating a combination of protein and complex carbs every two hours, sort of grazing all day, but avoiding caffeine and simple carbs or sugar... Low blood sugar is brain starvation, which most surely will crash you in mood and energy. Nothing else works when your brain can not!

Dont wait until you are starved to eat, and dont eat crap. The only way I manage this is to prepare stuff a head of time, so I can grab something easy and healthy from the fridge when on the fly. Realistically, I can set out to cook a good meal, but never get to it! So one day a week I try to put some stuff together, freeze some, whatever, but have healthy fast options on hand for the rest of the week. Protein bars on me at all times for when I forget and am out.... Smoothies are yummy and easy when I am in a hurry at home. You can throw all kinds of supplements in there with forzen yogurt and berries, and still make it taste great in five mins or less... Good for us lazy people!

Also, stay hydrated, drinking lots of pure water. Studies show huge percentages of the population are fatigued by simply being dehydrated. Caffeine drinks in general flush water out of the system, another reason to avoid them if energy is an issue for you!

And it may sound obvious, but sleep! Nice cozy sleep, in a dark quiet place, for at least seven to nine hours a night...

**Oh, I had better get to bed, I hear my pillow call even as I write...**

To get yourself going in the morning, cardio of any sort. Jump around! 20 mins. I do it before I am even awake enough to object.;-) It perks your metabolism up for the whole day. If I wait and try and do it later, I never get to it, so go for it first thing !

*Hmmn.As I read this, I realize there is lots I need to work on! *

These things are the basics our body needs, like maintenance. Essential.

Attend to your spirit too, however feels right for you! meditate, breathe, dance, talk, commune with nature, music, art, whatever feeds your soul.

The Dalai Lama said something I found useful about worrying. Something to the effect that if there is a problem, and you know there is something you can work on to improve it, or solve it, dont spend time worrying, just begin to do what you can. If the problem is not something you can do anything about, then be at peace, dont worry, for you know it is out of your control, and there is nothing you can do... Sort of akin to the serenity prayer, do you know that one? He says it a lot better though!

Good luck,
smiles,
Andrea

wherever you go, there you are

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Ado hug

I used to get this really bad, although mine was only S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Dissorder) related I think I can relate to what you're feeling.

I never found a cure, like you say...
Written by: Ade

Im trying to take these as they are i.e. dont panic, eat, sleep and then think about it.

....was quite important for me. Realising conciously that I was being an a-hole to people contributed massively to reducing the impact of moods swings on those around me. Also, talking to them about it helped to. If I started to snap for no reason they'd raise the subject, tell me I was being snappy which'd make me realise I wasn't angry or annoyed or anything like that, I was just down and hadn't realised.

I'd say taking a step aside from yourself is the best way to deal with it. Ultimately it's just to many/a lack of checmical in your brain so we have to try to control them. To much of the good stuff had negative affects after a while. Perhaps if there's any activities, I'm talking illegal, being partaken frequently then maybe that frequency is too much for your brain to handle over long periods of time. Also, it could be diet related. I've known people who've been allergic to things like Dairy products and have enver realised. Once they've discovered this they've changed their diet and are amazed at the results even tho they'd been quite healthy all their live.

Sorry to be so general, but there are a million potential reasons, it's just time to be a sleuth and find which one!

I hope you can conker this, I know what it's like and feel for you mate. This winter just gone my S.A.D. never appeared at all, I have no idea why but for some reason it was the best (happiest) winter ever, lets just hope next winter is the same.

Think happy thoughts.
Remember happy times.
Talk about everything to your friends and family so they can realise that when you snap it's not because of them and they won't bite back.
Find something to take your mind off things, from computer games to spinning to making things. Anything you like so long as it's distractive to a negative thought plane.

And of course, hug lots hug grouphug hug2

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Depression sucks.

I generally deal with it in the following ways (and in sequence):
1. Isolation and Self-Reflection i silence (sometimes i wonder if i think to much!
2. Some cool chillout music. Like Dead Can Dance/Delerium/Blank and Jones. Just sit and listen with my eyes closed, clear my mind, kinda like a meditation, with the music as the focal point.
3. Dance. Usually with poi, but sometimes with the staff/devil sticks/astrojax/
4. Then i hang out with a friend or two. Just hang out, don't have to talk, just be around people. If none of my mates are availible (very seldom) i go to a coffee shop, sit in a darkened corner and just watch the people!

Thing is, everyone has a different way of dealing with these kinda issues. When you feel outta energy or depressed, you need to know the kinda energy sources that counter the feeling, the above combination works for me. Go on impulse, the first thing that comes to your head (unless it's suicide)... roll with it! If it doesnt help do something else, you'll find what you need and learn how it works.

The following energy sources help me in different situations:

Anger: Trees and plants. No human or other animal interaction, unless it's a cat (cat's tend to absorb and disperse negitive energy).

Overwhelmed: Water. Rain is the best, but not always availible, so a shower/bath/swim normally do it!

Frustration: Music. Loud, hard and vibrant (pref. Goa or Psy Trance) and a pair of poi!

Demotivated: Silent Meditation.

-----------------------------------------------------------
okay i'm done!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Ado-p
You sound very similar to me. I generally live a very happy and bubbly existance. I do get very affected by lack of sleep, food and it makes me snap or go very very quiet.

People notice it instantly, and will say - "oh, you're a bit quiet today. is everything ok". This instantly make me think about what is actually going on.

If it's a food thing - i tend to try and put an emphasis on having a nice meal every so often. Maybe invite friends over and put on a mexican or a bbq. This means that the food issue clears up stright away.

If it's tireness - i try and have a nap. on the sofa, in bed, on the toilet at work ubblol This really helps and i get up feeling a lot better.

My GP has been constantly testing me for diabetes since i was affected by a huge exhustion and motivation loss that lasted about 2 weeks. I can really notice my blood sugar rising and falling and now try to not let that happen.

For instance - i rarely drink coffee after midday. if i have a sugary drink or sweets - which i try and limit i'm prepared for the sugar high then crash and i manage it. If i know that i'm really flagging with sleep i try and make sure that all jobs that are urgent are done then try and have a nap.

It's trying to find your own methods of coping. For me meditation and yoga don't help as they are not relaxing for me. On good days i have so much energy that i need to do more high impact stuff. Exercise really does lift you - just be careful of the tireness and sugar level. I can only do this when i have the energy and strength. When i'm down i prefer a slower pace - maybe a bifter, a game of monopoly and a good film.

I have also recently been trying to analyse the down patches and see if there is any more i can do. When i answer that's there's nothing wrong my boyfriend sortof forces me to evaluate what's happening to try and gain the answer then helps me do something about it.

for me - good food, naps, getting together with friends or having a quiet night and a more recent discovery of a hot bath and lots of bubbles tends to work for me. It might not work for you but i feel me and you from your description have a similar thing going on.

On the worrying front - i'm a secret worrier. To the untrained eye i haven't a care in the world but i do worry about things. Not wide world issues but more close to home problems. Most of which are down to organising effectively - making sure jobs get done and not being scared to ask for help. Lists help - i know this sounds geeky but they do help. They make you proiritise and realise that it is do-able if done in a better, more logical way (god i sound like a computer programmer ubblol) Once i realise it's do-able i try and get the majority of "do-able now" jobs out the way so i can focus on the bigger things. Keep your perpective about life.

This i found amazing and defintely something to strive for:

Written by:

The Dalai Lama said something I found useful about worrying. Something to the effect that if there is a problem, and you know there is something you can work on to improve it, or solve it, dont spend time worrying, just begin to do what you can. If the problem is not something you can do anything about, then be at peace, dont worry, for you know it is out of your control, and there is nothing you can do... Sort of akin to the serenity prayer, do you know that one? He says it a lot better though!

Good Luck

Wow this is the longest thread i've ever written.

hug
Make sure you're fully rested for next weekend and have fun.

Gayle
x

Gayle.....!