Forums > Social Discussion > Medical Trials- First hand advice

Login/Join to Participate

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've been invited to take part in a medical trial,and lets face it, I could use the money, but I feel a little yicky about it. I've done some reading up on it and I understand the basic workings of it. I'm a female smoker, not the type of person they normally invite, so theres my first silent "hmmm?" right there.However I have yet to actually speak to someone who has taken part in a medical trial. So I'm asking now if anyone has taken part in a medical trial, and if so, please tell me about it or impart some wisdom you may have gleaned from the experiance.

Thanks

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I was once on a 'standby' for a multi-day trial, whic meant I stayed there the first couple of days in case someone dropped out (they didn't).

As a student I did a non-residential trial, and I've several friends who've done a lot of full on studies.

For me, the really off-putting things are the high level of blood-taking, involving either frequent insertions of needles into veins, or even leaving one taped in permanently.

Also, the rigid food stuff involving eating fixed amounts of food over which there is little choice.

For others, who've done trials lasting weeks, the main negative seems to be boredom.

If I were you I'd plan to take something in to work on- if it's spinning/juggling stuff check first with them as sometimes they don't allow stuff that can be seen as 'exercise'.

Personally I think I could easily handle the time/boredom by taking in useful stuff to occupy myself with, but I do find the blood taking repugnant, and I'm very accustomed to eating what I want, when I want.

(it's worth bearing in mind as well, for any vegetarians, that many medical testing places do not have veggie food, I know that 'Covance' don't, but there's a place in, i think, Manchester, that does).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
I've done two so far, going to do a third one soon. As onewheeldave said, there is usually alot of blood taking. Some trials can take months, but they just take a sample once a week.
I've done a 3 month trial and a 1 week trial. Both started with overnight stays eg, go in monday night at 6, leave wednesday morning at about 11. and getting the drug on the tuesday. The group that does them here in Adelaide gets catered food, but everyone has to eat the same thing and its all timed, so you get your food at certain times. There is one problem with it as well, you usually get starved from teh monday night till lunch time tuesday as they like to give drugs on empty stomachs. Usually if they are going to take frquent blood samples, they will put an IV thing in your arm.
Different trials allow different activities, but most make you sit the entire time. The group here has play stations and dvd players, you just have to take your own games/dvds. Most people take text books and assignments to do.

Do we sleep when we die?

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Thanks Guys.

The blood-taking will be no problem, needles don't bother me at all and they said I can excercise as much as I like, so it will be great to take some time out to practice and play!

I'm still not too sure weather I will actually go for it or not,I'm going for a physical and regestration on the 29th, as well as a bit of an induction. My biggest fear was side-effects, as they dont specifically tell you what theyre testing, but I've managed to speak to a few more people about it, and so far, I've heard no real horror stories. My biggest fear now is actually going to the hospital itself and spending time there. I hate hospitals,they give me the creeps!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
frown

they only offer £2-£4 at my uni for the psycology department.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Ah,dont go to uni and the facility wud have to be relatively close to Brighton as I also have full time wrk ( dont know how I'm going to get off for this trial, but I'm not even too sure if I have to stay on site for the length of yet, or exactly how long it will be for), plus, I need quite a lot of loot! Going travelling a bit near the end of the year....If I'm still alive! wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've been in a study on the disease I have. It depends on the trial. For me, I just had to go in and they gave me an exam and then I filled out questionnaires twice a year for the next 4 years.

I remember going in, it was a standard Doctor's office. I walked in (a few minutes early), gave them my name and the receptionist said "Ah yes, the doctor is waiting for you in Room 5."

eek

The doctor is waiting for me??? Now that's a new one. I mean figures that since I'm doing them a favor, they should have to wait for me and not vice-vers, but yeah...that got me off-guard.

Ok, if I can put on my doctor cap, medical trials require a lot of paperwork to ensure that the risk to the subjects is minimal. The big issue is what sort of trial it is. It may simply be a trial like the one I did where I made a whopping US$7 from it and spent a whopping 1 hour of my life, total, on the whole four years. On the other hand, it could be an involved inpatient thing where they take blood every 5 minutes or whatever. Or anything in between.

Just showing up doesn't commit you to the trial, but I do ask, on behalf of physicians everywhere, that if you can't commit, don't commit and then back out. Wastes time and money.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey blu, have you got any more info on te trial? what are they testing, how long is it going to last, is it residential etc.

Also, I like the sound of those psychological ones (needle+me=don't go AT ALL!). How do you find out about them?
*goes off in search of websites*

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Well, I used to live in London when I first came over from South Africa and subscribed to recieve the TNT magazine via email (Its like the travellers bible), and although I dont live in London anymore so its pretty useless to me, I still recieve it and flick through it from time to time. About a month ago there was a link to this medical trials thing (I've tried looking for it again for you,but have a feeling I may have deleted it), and I'd heard a few people talk about them, so on a whim, I filled in my details and sent them to them, not really expecting them to reply at all as I'm female and I smoke. From what I gather, they mostly use males who don't smoke, but low and behold, a week or so ago, I got a call from them. They basically asked me a few medical history questions and then said that they would like to invite me to come and take part in a trial they will be holding in July/August.

I have to go in for registration on the 29th and a bit of a medical, but the lady I spoke to didn't give too much away. Basically, she said it could be anything between three days and three months depending,and it may be on or off site. All will be explained to me once I get there I suppose. My acceptance is still dependant on the checkup, and I dont have to accept even if I pass. They'll keep my records and call me up if another trial comes up that I may be suitable for.

I think they probably have more than one trial in mind wich is why they are so vague at the moment, but I'll defenitly let you know the outcome of the registration.

I don't know how the psychological ones are come across though,its the first time I've heard of it. How does one become involved? Anyone?