doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
im not sure if this is the right location for this post.. theres a venue here in dublin that regularly invites fire & glow performers. however, they dont like to have their entrance(which is a high polish stone) covered in fuel.
i was wondering if anyone had any cleaning ideas. apart from the obvious hands and knees with a bucket of soapy water. any brainstorm ideas will be more than welcom.

thanks HOPpers.
Dr. Fandango

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
You could try using a spin-off can after soaking your wicks. That would reduce the amount of spray. I can explain a bit more if you want...

761 posts

Posted:
we do that too, but theres still too much spillage on the stone.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
if you use spin-offs correctly, there shouldn't be any spillage! otherwise, i can't think of anything other than getting down on your knees!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
The only thing i can think of, is maybe putting down sawdust? and sweeping it up once you're done?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
watch pele and malcolms safety video - there is stuff in there about blotting the wicks with a a towel or squeezing the excess fuel off.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Using good practice(s) involving excess fuel removal, spin off container and or blotting generally works well enough, not sure what fuel your using, (lamp oils can be a little more difficult) in this respect though. I find doing indoor performances are trouble free using these techniques, if your really stuck then allow the wicks to burn off a little before comencing your show.

I find though if working with parafin(s) indoors, i use the following preparation(s) for each fire tool, (does cut down the burn time slightly).

outside prep

spinnoff with fuel catchment containers
blott for excess fuel
light and allow to burn for a short period
extinguish and allow to cool
secure tools

ready for inside performance

Assuming for some reason none of this works for you, then you need something that will breakdown mineral oils, if i'm putting on a show where the risk assesment has identified a potential problem with surfaces, a good quality mop and bucket, bleach and pine disinfectant and access to hot water will usually work well enough.

mark

761 posts

Posted:
thank you all for your help.. i think what we will do is put a tarp on the stone, cover the tarp with bark chips, and then do the show. the bark will give a better grip to the performers and also soak up any fuel which could pool on the tarp. the spin/shake off isnt realy a possibility for me i dont think. since we're doing the fire to attract people into a club, i find that big burnoffs are usually best to grab the attention of passers-by.
thanks again
Dr.F

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

That would explain it then, have you ever looked at a large staff burn off, and seen the amount of unburnt fuel thats ejected through the fireball, and if I understand your reply correctly and your not employing adiquate fuel removal procedures when performing poi, well, yep, you are going to get fuel everywhere.

mark

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Do a small scale test first, and have people there to act as safetys.

The worrying thought is that, if the bark does soak up excess fuel, isn't there a very real danger that it could act as a wick and ignite?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
good point there Dave.

Kitty litter is what Malcolm and Pele recommend.

As used by the professionals smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Shu

if you use spin-offs correctly, there shouldn't be any spillage! otherwise, i can't think of anything other than getting down on your knees!

actually when you are spinning on stone or other slick non porous surfaces, it is nearly impossible to spin off enough fuel before a burn to completely mitigate this problem.

it is likely kitty litter will not be much appreciated by the same people who want the area cleaned - and it will only absorbe standing fuel effectively, not the slick surface stuff you are dealing with.

the tarp, unless well secured, could add safety concerns as it could be an underfoot hazard. but not a bad idea if maybe you duct tape it down or something.

the best solution I know of to avoid this problem is to spin with whitegas/coleman instead of lamp oil or parrafin (be sure you are using a safety with a wet towel though!!!). The more volitile nature of whitegas/coleman means it evaporates away quickly and cleans up much easier. when you are done, mop with dish soap mixture or other degreaser, and then towel dry the area.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
He was talking about spin-off cans though, and not just spinning off like we usually do in a corner somewhere. I've used spin-off cans before, and Shu is right, if used correctly, there isn't any that gets out. You do have to be spinning the wicks with some velocity for the liquid to stay in them though. Maybe that's the problem you are having with them, Doctor fandango?

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I agree with Vanize. You've now breached the "Professionals" boundry so you need tip top safety. White gass is the best indoor fuel when used properly, think No Smoke. I don't even need to clean up anything after using white gass because it all evaporates without a trace. Granted, if your using the same tools you use with Kero, traces of Kero could be carried with the white gass spinnoff ( what's left after a proper pre spinoff) and you have a cleaning issue again.

There has been a long "discussion" about the dangers of white gass so make sure you research it and fully understand what your doing with it. It is not a Newbie fuel, but has benefits to professionals, like eliminating your problem with messy fuel, stench, and smoke. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: spritie

He was talking about spin-off cans though, and not just spinning off like we usually do in a corner somewhere. I've used spin-off cans before, and Shu is right, if used correctly, there isn't any that gets out. You do have to be spinning the wicks with some velocity for the liquid to stay in them though. Maybe that's the problem you are having with them, Doctor fandango?

spin off cans with parafin do not solve this problem completely - they help a lot, but not completely. plus, spin off cans don't sin out any more fuel than spinning out in a corner does - even less actually since you can't spin the whole thing quite as fast as you can a naked wick.

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
hmmm...I'm a tad confused then. I thought the problem was to avoid getting any fuel on the walls outside the club (the area where they spin out), not actually the area they spin in which was inside the club???

I must spin my wicks out longer than most it seems as the times I've used the bucket I have had no spray left once I actually light my wicks.

Since the requestor is in Dublin where I don't think white gas is readily available like it is here in the states, maybe the best option is using the buckets and then hand squeezing (with gloves or some such) the remaining "loose" fuel out of the wicks?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I hope they aren't spinning out in the entry way of the venue!!! eek

if what you say is the case, then they should just go spin out further away!

-v-

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

actually when you are spinning on stone or other slick non porous surfaces, it is nearly impossible to spin off enough fuel before a burn to completely mitigate this problem.

i get it right, and i still get a good burn from the wicks! I have had to get it right, i've done a fair amount of fire dance for fashion shows... can't have the catwalk getting and more slippery than it already iz!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

761 posts

Posted:
the problem was fuel on the ground outside the venue.
we never spin indoors.
and the solution we will run with is the tarp coated with bark or some other soak up material like sand.

this has however been an interesting forum

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i've also span at the club dr. fandango's talking about. it's not the 'spin-out' thats the problem. it's just that the surface area is polished granite paving stones, almost marble-like, and the smallest amount of fuel spilled on the ground creates an extremely slippy surface.

we can buy colemans camping fuel here, but it retails at E14.95 ($18 - £8) per litre!!!! eek now that's just not do-able unless the club is gonna pay for it, which they're not, unfortunately...

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
whoa!!! eek

coleman costs $2 per GALLON in the states!

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
If you do use a tarp, please make sure that is doesn't have any plastic or plastic derivative in it. That and fire make for a nasty combo if something were to happen.

Oh, and not that it matters, but Coleman's is closer to $3.50 per gallon these days.

SirEggomember
37 posts

Posted:
sandis the answer...we use sand a nd a garbage can then we set the can on fire untill the sand is dry, for those who spin off this isnt a worry but to those shakers shake over the garbage can and there will be no Bio waste.

where there are ashes from those burnt by flame
the phoenix rises again and again.

CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
I normally spin off my wicks and then let them stand and dry for a few minutes...
I find this eliminates the excess fuel on the wicks
ubbloco

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing UP is OPTIONAL

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
But you'd still get fuel everywhere from spinning off... confused