Forums > Social Chat > What is the pupose of life....?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DRAGULAmember
70 posts

Posted:
i mean think about,
You are born....
you spend 12 years of your life trying to pass
school so you can get in to a good collage....
*can't spell it*
Then you spend all of your life trying to get a good job......
you get old and die, then you either go to heaven or hell. and then spend the rest of eternity
either having fun or reciving pain.....

your views on the subject are welcome.....

Are you okay?I don't Know.....I'm generally f***ed up so it's kinda hard to gauge-Rainbow Randolph

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I cant vouch for the rest of the world but your first mistake is going to college!

The American School system is designed to do one thing, make emploies!

How many of you emploies make more money than your boss?

Probably none!

Frankly anyone who says having a job isnt about money is a liar!

The school systems should teach people how to become buisiness owners. In America the tax laws are designed to help out small business owners.

Frankly anyone who wants to get in on their employers 401k is an idiot, the market for small business, especially E commerice is exponential!

An estimated 5 trillion dollars will be made from the internet by 2005! Then again these numbers are regulated by government agencies and are probably lower than what will really happen.

Why work for 40 + years only to retire on 1/3 of what you cant live on now?

as for the rest of life, thats up to you.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
You have to find your own purpose in life, your own direction. For some people what they want to do most in their life is have children. Raising a family becomes their purpose. For others it is having a career. It may not be your choice, it isn't mine. But what is important is that they find fulfillment in their life.

My fulfillment comes through helping others. It comes through interacting with the world with love & openness.

Their are some things in life that you are obligated to do. But quite often you can find within these things the road to your purpose.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
psy-trance in a barn bursting with blacklights, crazy psychedelic paintings and deocrations just my opinion

on a more serious note...the point is just to find happiness and peace within...then radiate it all back to the people you love...and even the ones you don't.

[ 27 September 2002, 15:16: Message edited by: SunSpot ]

Om Namah Sivaya

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Hugz, getting hugz is the reason for living
Fire is a DISTANT second
nothing else comes into it

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
What Rozi said

I see the purpose of life as built of several components: to understand and hence improve yourself; find comfort and balance within yourself and your life; cause minimal harm to others; be an influence for good.

Something like that.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Happiness is the purpose of life.

Whatever that means for the individual or individuals in question.

Raph

The Brick Layermember
17 posts

Posted:
Personally speaking the meaning of life is something that is a very individual definition for everyone. Some say happiness, some say wealth, some say hugz, and so it goes that to many spelling is a completely arbitrary necessity.

I find the meaning of my life is not only my happiness, but the happiness of those around me. We don't know what lies around the corner, or what is in store for us in the afterlife, so you have to make the best use of what you have and stuff. If you have goals, try to achieve them. Do something completely out of character just for one day, just to see what it is like, and always be open to new experiences. Note that this doesn't mean you have to pop every pill going...

Happiness is important, but for everyone, not just you. Narcism isn't nice kids, but spelling is, so please remember

hugS
and
employEES

sorry just had to get it off my chest mwa ha ha
(Mother would be soooo proud!)

Chris

I don't know what it is thats making you stupid but its working!-----------------------------------I'm away to Morningside for a fish supper-Team Buddies

DRAGULAmember
70 posts

Posted:
hahaha.....
You people think that life matters!?!
It doesn't matter. It only matters if someone loves you, if someone cares for you....
Fortunatley for me i have niether so if someone feels i should die....
(stares into heaven)
....Strike me done now!!!!!!!!

Are you okay?I don't Know.....I'm generally f***ed up so it's kinda hard to gauge-Rainbow Randolph

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
If you go through life only seeing yourself through a reflection of other people's reaction to you, you will never have any sort of control or autonomy in your life.

Okay, that was probably not the answer you need right now, so I will soften it and deliver it with a (note: no "s" as it is singular )

I am guessing you are referring either to your family, or to someone you care about a great deal. Yes, it is important to receive love from these people. But what if you truly don't? Well in this case you have to find strength and care from another source. The only source of care and affection you have any control over, is yourself. You cannot really control how other people view you and respond to you. If you rely on their response to you for strength, you will run yourself ragged trying to gain their affection. All you can do is behave in a way that brings your own respect and love for yourself.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Life isnt all about money to me, I was refering to the

"you spend 12 years of your life trying to pass
school so you can get in to a good collage....
*can't spell it*
Then you spend all of your life trying to get a good job......"

part of his post!

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
The purpose of life is twofold:
to go along having as much fun as possible and the more good you do as you go, the better
and
to go along doing as much good as you can and the more fun you have as you go, the better.

If you work on doing good and having fun, you will get to love yourself, which leads to other people loving you, which leads to you loving them which leads to fun and good for everyone involved.

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
humans like to think there's a purpose because it's comforting to think there is.
essentially we're all worm food, and that's okay...it's the cycle of life. other than that, if you find enlightenment through life, great but that's not "the purpose".

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

2,905 posts

Posted:
Wow, that is something that I'd never expect you to say. My main reason being that your own background is so connected to the spirit world in its own religion. I have another question I would like to ask you but I will save it for a PM or email, it just wouldnt be right to say it here.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The more I got into studying life (biology) the more frustrated I got at trying to figure out a reason for it all.

Basically, as depressing as this may sound, after all my searching...I don't think there's much of a purpose to life. And I also think that we're probably the only species that even wonders about it. At least on Earth... Bacteria sure don't seem to care.

Because in the end, if a huge asteroid were to come crashing into the planet next week and all life in Earth (and, thus, as far as we know, in the universe) ended...what would be any different?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I don't think you are going to find some overall purpose, some higher goal for everyone. All you can do is guess at it. And if you do find something that you can believe in, well it is only your personal beliefs. If it helps you live your life better, and be happier, than I am all in favour. But I don't think you are going to find some provable higher purpose. Even religion requires faith above all things.

You need to find a purpose as an individual. To help you lead your life better, so you don't end your days looking back and feeling that you added nothing to the world.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

2,905 posts

Posted:
Mike not all of lifes answers are in a text book or can be found with a microscope!

Science is good at two things and two things alone, 1 is proving itself right, 2 is proving what they previusly thought as right as wrong.

There is not a scientific explination for life that can not be dissproven using science!! Sorry bud but God is the only way.

ZaphodBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
Yes, the answer to the Ultimate question of Life the Universe and Everthing is..... as mentioned just above..... 42

Cheers to Deep Thought on that one!

Cheers to Douglas too!

[ 29 September 2002, 21:25: Message edited by: Zaphod ]

DON'T PANIC

2,905 posts

Posted:
Yep your right, just above your post is the answer, not above mine though

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Speaking biologically, the purpose of life is to reproduce. Nothing more nothing less. After that, we decline. Boring, not necessarily . In the mean time, psi trance rules.

To the bricklayer studying for a phd. Err sorry mate, but getting too pedantic about spelling could also be seen as a form of narcissism. Or waz the pun intended? I suppose it depends on your dictionary

[ 29 September 2002, 22:58: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:

There is not a scientific explination for life that can not be dissproven using science!! Sorry bud but God is the only way.

Oh, no textbook ever tried to answer this question, and biologists don't even generally discuss it. You just get this sense when you realize that everything is just out to make more of itself and that's that.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

6,978 posts

Posted:
like moonpixie's really lovely sig (aim for the stars, even if you miss, you'll land on the moon, - or somefink like that) really illustrates the idea.

basically even thought searching for the meaning of life is a difficult journey, with a destination that may never be reached, it's the travelling undertaken that enriches our lives.

an alternative queation that may be asked is, how would you face your life if you knew the answer?! would you scream? would you eat a shitload of icecream?
I try to practice what I would do if i knew - live with the perception that it will all be fine in the end, that the petty things not get in the way of just enjoying this journey as it is.
Not to want the life of excess that marketing imposes on us.
Not to live severely like the zealots behind you (look!)
but a middle path of compromise between the two.

(As Drea would say 'organised religion is the devil!' but i'd like to be Ch'an Buddhist i guess, but unfortunately i love a good steak dammit )

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Damnit bender, you beat me to it.

6,978 posts

Posted:
haw haw. i almost didn't cus i was like 'hey that's silly' but then i thought 'hey that's silly'
so... what's seven multiplied by six?!? bwa har har... etc etc...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
nice bender....

i don't care so much about the purpose of life. I just want to enjoy it...

and right now to understand why i get hell-bent on making that impossible sometimes.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I've heard a lot of answers to this question in the past, but only very few do I take any stock in. Here they are in no particular order:

The purpose of life, is to live.

Life can only be understood backwards.

Shut up, Mr.Burton. You were not put upon this Earth to "get it."

(P.S. 10 points to whoever can identify that last quote...)

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Being happy is certainly the most important thing in life.

Good to see the Hitch Hiker references. But the answer '42' is not the whole story.

Adams describes Deep Thought, the great computer that comes up with the great answer of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

After millions of years, Deep Thought comes up with the answer 42.

So then a new, even greater computer is built, to discover the question. A computer so vast that biological life forms part of it's operational matrix. It is called, the Earth...

As is often the case, it's not the destination that counts, it's the journey.

Magnus... pay it forward

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
a quote for the nihilists, admittedly from Angel, although I think they were quoting someone else

"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do"

Magnus... pay it forward

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
experience...

how can one truly know happiness if one does not truly know pain...

[ 30 September 2002, 20:55: Message edited by: pozee ]

anyone got a light?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I can't remember where I read this, but this is probably the best (in my eyes) meaning of life I've seen: To be happy, to make other people happy and to make other people.

Obviously it's a bit more complicated than that in reality, but it's a good starting point to base things on.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Page: