Forums > Social Chat > I have a little stinky!!!!!

Login/Join to Participate

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I now am an owner of a skunk. she is about a month and a half old. Me and my wife found her and another one on the side of the road saturday. they had been abandoned by their mother. they where dangerously close to the road, so we picked them up. sad to say that one of them died yesterday, but the other is in good health.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
that sounds cool. Are they friendly animals? i've only ever seen people treat them as pests on movies, pests that spay them with stinky smell. Is it really hard to get rid of that smell off?
Can we see pictures of it? how big is it?

Do we sleep when we die?

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
that brill! we used used to have a chipmunk, i would love a skunk! same as above please!

daz

stupidity is not a crime, you are free to go!!!

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:

Cool, are you going to get it's gland removed or keep it o'natural?

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Pepe L' Peu

biggrin

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

ubblol

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I hear skunks make great pets. You just have to de-skunk them so they don't get all excited and skunk the place up.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
some pics would really be great!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
yeah we want to pictures!!! Pleeaaassee

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Erm..
have you considered taking it to a animal rescue centre?
umm

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
but that would be sensible Ucof tongue

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
VT ... PLEEEAAAASE get those glands removed.

Congrats on you little addition. wink

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
gunna have to go with UCOF

its a wild animal and young as it may be it should be kept away from humans so it can go back there :P

if you could jst pick up anyold near to be road kill id go put a polar bear next to the M25 and take it home with me :P

back

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
i dont know about a polar bear, when its fully grown it might be bit of a problem.
I wouldn't mind a half dingo, friend had one, really nice pets.
Or i could just go back to a rat, though i think Adya wouldn't like that.

Do we sleep when we die?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Eau de skunk.....the new perfume...

Come on some people might actually find it appealing....

shrug

Or not....

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
just like the little old ladies that come into my shop wearing "perfume" that smells more like toilet spray than anything else.

Do we sleep when we die?

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
There is not an animal rescue center near us ,and the closest one won't come pick it up. It is too small to return to the wild ,and by the time it is old enough to return to the wild it would have been exposed to humans to much. So we are going to get the scent glands removed and keep it as a pet. I i would take it to the shelter myself ,but I don't have the time or the dinero to do so. She is about 4 1/2 inches long and stands about 3 inches high. she is cute as a button and very affectionate. I will post pics as soon as i can get hold of a camera.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Appearently owning skunks in tennesse is illegal so we could not keep her. the ultra uber sad part is we had to give her to an vetrinarian to have her tested for rabies because the state is trying to do a study on rabies.

-Albert Einstein-

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
awww.... thats sad. So what will happen to her if she doesn't have rabies? will they give to you to look after?

Do lots of animals have rabies? is it common for people to get it? and what does it do to you? my only experience is reading Cujo...

Do we sleep when we die?

- cat -member
48 posts

Posted:
Not sure about skunks since we don't really have any here in Aus... (well, we *shouldn't* !!) ... also Australia does pride itself in being rabies-free... which I think is funny since it has a version of 'rabies' with its Lyssavirus, which is a fairly close relation.

Apparently its quite prevalent in bats overseas too.... not sure about skunks. Over here this virus can only be transmitted to humans in saliva from an infected animal through a bite or a scratch. In fact, environmental departments don't know as much as they'd like to about it... I'm assuming its the same over there. Getting in contact with faeces/urine shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would use gloves myself. Apparently it might be possible to get them tested for rabies... look if it was me I definitely would.. I know it's only a baby but considering they were dumped by their mum .... animals like to dump their babies sometimes if there's something wrong with them .... (although they'll sometimes just do it if it's not convenient to have a baby in an environmental change etc... ) - take it to a good Vet!!!

From my limited reading on diseases in wildlife and human encroachment it really makes me think 'we shouldn't be handling these guys unless necessary to ensure the survival of the species' smile I was reading a certain species of squirrel in South America happily wander around harbouring a version of the Bubonic Plague too. Probably a good idea not to build a holiday camp right near by?
Hmmm.... smile