Page:
Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Hello boys and girls. bounce

As i'm starting to do more performances with fire I've noticed that I have been getting one or two non-burn injuries. eek

As in, injuries that aren't burns. Easy innit?
Injuries from last weekend are:

bounce2 1>> A BIG Fat Bruise (BFB) on the outside of the first joint (from the nail) of my left index finger. After the last night of Run to the Sun (and 8 fire shows + lots of uv spinnage) it was protruding over 1cm from the side of my finger. It is officially known as the

Buzzsaw Blister

bounce2 2>> A rather nasty looking rash across my chest, which I can only attribute to the (at times) large amount of paraffin that i got on my naked skin during the shows. Buzzsawing too early in a set will do this, as will spinning off a staff without checking the wind sufficiently. (I have had this before: Once fuel leaked into my bag, through my bag, through my trousers and I got a wierd rash then as well.) This one is the

Fuel Rash

Has anyone experienced any of these fire spinnery related maladies? And are there more that I have yet to look forward to?

Much love ubblove and hugs hug

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Most of my injuries seem to occur when twirling the wrong object, eg. trying to use nunchaku like a staff, or trying to use poi like nunchaku, or trying to use a hefty chain instead of just leaving it where I saw it.

I've come close to removing my eyes / ears / testicles more times than I can remember. I really should learn to stop experimenting.

JastapusBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
The tendons on my fingers are really starting to hurt due to my poi are getting a bit heavy due to me keep adding props to them.
A face wrap with my fires wearnt good. arm wraps with my chains left my arm black with a bruise.
staff throw in the day, not seeing my staff and it wacking me in the face.......
thats about it me thinks

Cogito Ergo Sum

P.J. DenyerBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
It has to be when poi tangle directly in front of you and then make that smooth, perfect arc straight into the happy place, I did that to myself last night and nearly ended up on my knees! (I just starting out but that is one lesson I'm gonna learn fast!)

Then again there was the time many years ago when the difference in chain and handle length between my friends nunchukas and my own allowed me to smack myself soundly in the back of the head with his set.....

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I did some fair damage with early club swinging... didn't quite get the go-to-full-extension-before-going backwards- thing till I'd totally strained my wrist... owie... took ages to heal.....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Poi in the [censored] while trying to get the buttefly done with my tail poi, it really really hurt I was hunched over for 10 minutes and was very nearly sick.

Oh and I sometimes catch my hair do! :O to me that is like an injury very seriouse!! lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Have knocked a front tooth out of place with a juggling club. Its now more crookeder than the rest.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
the grip on my staff enjoys catching on my hair and ripping it out...its making learning the steve very painful!

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
Millhouse (HoP name house_of_mill) dug a chunk out of his gum with his labret piercing while doing an over the head one handed butterfly that went wrong.

theres a picture in his gallery of it

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=2

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
i really really hurt my eye on sunday doing a btb weave with zeeboos poi. couldn't open my eye for about half an hour and it wouldn't stp watering. All ok now and no phyiscal sign of injury so all's cool. smile

Gayle.....!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Written by: Havokist

Millhouse (HoP name house_of_mill) dug a chunk out of his gum with his labret piercing while doing an over the head one handed butterfly that went wrong.

I too have done that, its not fun, not fun at all!
smacked my ear piercings trying to learn steves
the btb waist wrap is not good for nipple piercings eek
I managed to smack the ring out of my lip at falmouth, although i can't remember what i was spinning at the time!

its making me contemplate taking some of them out!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i bust my lips open twice while juggling... once i got hit by a bouncer ball, and then i was passing staffs with a friend and i got hit in the face

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
smacked myself in the side of the nose, made a deeep gash. now have a very chunky scar

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Massive black eye taking me through from the Wednesday night of this year's Glasto and which still hadn't faded properly by Falmouth 4.

to live at all is miracle enough

Stick ManBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
benzene poisoning was by far the worst. I thought I was going to die for 2 days.

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
during a blindfolded staff performance, i jumped over my staff... a move i've done hundreds of times, but this time i found a gopher hole. tore my ACL, meniscus, and bursa in my left knee. this is the first year since the injury that i have gone all season without my brace. i still haven't had the surgery.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
well of course i've had a couple of scratches from wrapping with chains that aren't all to nice.
also, the classic hitting the goods with poi ><.
gotten a couple of bumps through practicing reverse btb bt weave with hard pois.
and lots of other stuff.
but hey, its worth it;)

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Couple of years back I was soinning a glowstaff in a nightclub really early one morning, was spinning it behind my back and caught my leg on the inside right between the claf muscle and the bone..... it hurt but I was ok, or so thought, by the time I got home, I had to cut my trousers off..... I fell asleep for an hour, and when I woke up, I couldn't stand up...... I went to the hospital, and they couldn't tell me what I'd done. It was about a week and a half before I could walk again, and I was limping for a very long time after.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
My worst would be when I very nearly sliced the end of my finger off whilst setting up for a spin with wire wool. I didn't notice at the time, but when I stopped spinning, there was blood running half way up my arm!

Cake or Death?

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
As well as my gums i was doing the aerotech Beach Flingo thing and ended up doing Contact UCOF at the same time, but it was more of a nose burst than roll and it forced the 8mm tunnel up my nose slicing the insides, a swelled up nose was a great thing to go home from falmouth with!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
during an escape, i lost feeling in my right hand. now, whenever i rub up the side of my right wrist, my thumb has tingles run up it.

also, a mate almost choked / drowned while attempting an underwater straightjacket / chain escape. it was his first try and i was next to him ready to save him the whole time, so he was fine.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
i've smacked myslef in the head a fair few times spinning a single staff, and i always seem to scratch where my biceps are when i do doubles

"Quote coming soon..."

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I've just started learning, but my poi already seem unnaturally attracted to my nuts. v_v

Juggle 'til I drop!

webdaemonBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
my poi seems to enjoy to constantly beat my nuts in to a very painful submission. i was practicicing a butterfly and wham... send me to the foor with a very sick nauseated feeling... eyes constantly watering... i felt like the wind were just knocked out of me... after that i didnt touch the poi for about a week i was pissed with them... i have since gone back and now its time for me to get a staff so i can practice with that and my poi. hopefully the staff will become less infatuated with my scrotum, than my poi.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
staff gets infatuatuated with your head and eyes instead

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

webdaemonBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
meh loosing an eye or bopping your head is DEFFINATELY less painful than bopping your nuts with poi. id rather hit my head than my nuts any day.

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Pain in the happy place. LOL.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
not sure if theres an name for the move, but I'm trying to learn it. get a good steady butterfly going then lean back and bring it with you to a horizontal plane...anyway, I've started wearing a cup while trying to learn this one...first ouch with it both poi made a sandwich out of my jewels. couldn't walk right for the better part of 3 days.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i strained my wrist (mywristgotsawd) the other day about an hour and a half into a rather hectic poi practice session...

I had the biggest eggie on my forhead for about a week from a misjudged ropedart wrap!!

other than that i don't normally get much in the way of injuries!

There are of course the occasional rawblistered finger from spinning with too much weight for too long!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I have callouses on my thumbs from last night, not so much an injury but they are sore! - trying to light wicks up with a lighter in the brisk, windy scottish air! Could not feel my fingers til i got home and warmed up. Damn it was cold! it snowed again this morning - where the hell is spring? lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
The past summer I was spinning fluffy poi with glo-toobs attached and split open an eyebrow. Quite bloody, but didn't need stitches. Luckily all the children had gone to bed already, so I didn't terrify the little ones.

Other than that, just blistered fingers from the handles.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

Page: