Forums > Social Chat > favored way to deal with pain?

Login/Join to Participate

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
Having some back probelms. (Which is an understatement...) But I'm looking for ways to get some kind of "pain management" going. Keep in mind I don't drink, and I don't like taking over the counter drugs if I can help it. (nor illegal ones, come to think of it...)

One of those days that if I were really a dog they'd probably put me down for my own good. *whimper*

Ideas appreciated....

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Deep heat rub and a friend to rub it in. (eg transversain or something like that) (you know the stuuf I mean- a cream or spray that heats the area up when you apply it(but with the spray you miss out on the massage! wink) helps relieve things but don't do anything that could strain your back further when using it as you might hurt yourself without realising.

Also try lying on a hard floor with your arms comfotably across your stomach and you legs at a 90 degree angle from your body, try resting them on a chair or something- the main aim is to have the small of your back in contact with the floor. Some people recommend just putting your feet up against your bum when doing this instead, but if you have a hollow back then this won't be enough to get the small of your back on the floor and I find it can put further strain on you as you struggle to keep your legs there. Oh, and put books under your head to support your neck Lie there for 20 minutes and it will help take some strain off your back.

and i'm sure you know not to lift anthing!

hope that helps

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Relaxing in the pool also helps me. Not swimming (unless you wish too) but just floating in the water.

Do we sleep when we die?

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
I'll try to get the "on the floor" thing. I was thinking of sleeping on the floor tonight. But I'll toss my legs up a bit before the night is over.

Actually, come to think of it, I'll try some "Icy Hot" on there too, that might do something too.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
"The secret is hot ice"

Do we sleep when we die?

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Actually, put it on there, didn't feel the "icy" part, but wow it's making me warm now. smile

Poi ice? No, too silly, I'll go lay on the floor now and watch TV. :P

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Pain makes me laugh...odd I know but it deflects the pain and makes it bearable. was originally a defense mechanism now it's automatic (some people think i'm odd) and there's nothing I can do when your laughing pain seems reduced so watch or listen to something funny. biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Socks

Having some back probelms. (Which is an understatement...) But I'm looking for ways to get some kind of "pain management" going. Keep in mind I don't drink, and I don't like taking over the counter drugs if I can help it. (nor illegal ones, come to think of it...)

Ok, but why? I mean the point of ibuprofen is to help you deal with pain. It mystifies me why people should refuse to use a perfectly safe, non-habit-forming, and quite effective drug.

Believe me, I lived in chronic pain for 13 years before a miracle of biotechnology put me out of the pain, and without medicine, I would have been completely disabled, unable to do anything.

The best way to deal with pain is to do whatever is at your disposal to get out of it, and if that means taking some ibuprofen, then you shouldn't feel guilty or wrong about doing it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura