Page:
LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
humm, so tennis grips lose their grip after a while, damned things......

so today i covered my grips with silicon sealent, and now.......mmm they are lovley, nice and bouncy, but in a controlled way, and for contact i like
apart from the silicon does peal unless you massagre it in wiht your fingers.

any other suggestions?

(i dont want to buy more gips that i will have to replace really soon.)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I need to conduct some experiments before I release my ideas, but do not fear, the experiments will be completed before the night is over.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah my idea does still involve silicone, but it no longer feels sweaty,
and untill i pattent the idea no one gets it :P

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
oooh does that mean i don't even need to regrip my staff i can just add somehting to the silicone?

wait a minuite are you going to try and claim you invented gloves?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
no much better than gloves, this took inovation, inspiration, and too much time on my hands, that with current silicone falling off taken in to factor.

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i've decided that i need to make silicone less peelable cos everyone as soon as they see it start to peel it off, about 5 people did yesterday

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
that was my planning as well, how are you going about said less pealyness?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
hmmmm no ground breaking idea's yat nothing as good as the level of what yours is sounding like. lol my first idea was just put some tape over the ends where most people peel it from but i don't quite think that would be a very good soloution, and it would still feel like sweat

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah the tape works, but you have to put quitte abit, because the affinity between silicone and tape is not strong

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Lavatwilight, i've tried using silicone as a replacement grip for my staff & it's awesome! though i have a question, were you able to get a smooth finish? if so, how did you do it? mine ended up all rough and crummy (it still works well though)

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Ok there were two way i made it smooth, one make it ridged, so you take many a smooth straight line down the shaft of the stick, best way i found to do this was a peice of stuff card.

or my second inovation was to get an old sheet, and thinly spread the silicone along it, and then cut out a nice length, maing each one about twice as think as tennis grip (in width only a few mm high of silicone) and then wrap it around so it double sover its self so its think enough, one problem with it tho, is that after a little while....the silicone come soff the sheet and makes it quite slippery.

hope that helps

Lava

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
I combined two of the different suggestions on here... a thinner layer of silicone with a thin bicycle innertube over the top... With a small ammount of silicone covered by electrical tape at either end to smooth the transition from rubber to alluminium you can make it suitable for contact work aswell... Very nice and comfortable finish...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips! I should be needing them soon as i redo the grip on my staff (i used a whole tube of silicone from a caulking gun on my staff... a wee bit much i'd say..)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
just a random addition... my mate has kangaroo leather for grip and it is lovelly not too sticky as to become annoying but grippy enough that it doesn't slide

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
A recommendation for stickiness freaks biggrin :

(English translation at the bottom of the pages)
Handball glue
and dont forget the Dip'nClean Wipes for removal of handball glue - told you its sticky ubbangel

And for Mcp hug
Written by:

A thin layer of Dip'nGrip will last long, even on sweaty hands, and will require only occasional 'brush-up' during time-out or half-time

I like the time-out ubbloco

cheers

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Handball glue is fine but it as well as grip better grip all rubbish when the staff falls down. I was thinking about gum or silicon tube, like around sticks for devilstick.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Squach Rackets grips are great....

My mate has leather on his staff.... it has lasted like 1 year now of serious abuse by many a noobie.

Don't know how the maker of the staff got the leather to stick to the aluminium but he did and it puts my Squach Racket grip to shame...

any one with time on their hands should look at this idea..... as its thick, grippy, stops heat and takes to wear & tear very well...

Let me know how it goes.

On another note, what does everyone use for waiting the staffs.?
EDITED_BY: jc_firetricks (1133930651)

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
I have used leather on a couple of practice staffs I made. Pretty easy to do, cut a strip about 35mm wide, glued it on with PVA (white carpenters glue)wiped off the excess with a sponge and trimmed the ends and secured them with plastic tape.
Jeff

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
after being annoyed by my new foam grip, i have just replaced it with acrylic sealant, like silicone except less of the nastyness (i hope) anyone at falmouth is free to try them

allfiredupstranger
19 posts

Posted:
leather is the s#%t

i use 4 my conact staff

it is so good !!!!!
EDITED_BY: allfiredup (1145882109)

ignorance is bliss but knowledge is power

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
it's all about the dead cow skin

Viva UGLY STAFF

AtarBRONZE Member
52 posts

Posted:
I'll have to agree with the bicyle inner-tubing. Its great stuff, I have it on a practice staff right now. I'm definiatly adding it to the next staff I plan to make.

edit: Let me clarify a bit. I mean you shove it over your staff before adding the wicks. Don't wrap it around like you would do with tennis grips. I plan on experimenting a bit. Make a test staff and shove some innertubing over it, then tape off one end and fill it up with silicone (the stuff you fix aquariums with, nice and bouncy).
EDITED_BY: Atar (1146982904)

High on Life!

b1dd5newbie
5 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmm so the inner tubes?!

Si mply rap them round the staff and gaffer tape each end? Does the tube not need to be stuck down or is it just pulls so tight andoverlapped you dont need to!?

Thanks guys

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er.. i posted this elsewhere, but not here:

the shizzle, i'm afraid, is neoprene.

still grippy and bouncy after 18 months of paraffin abuse. not slippery even when covered in fuel (not that i do that, you understand wink )

chopped up dead wetsuit. cheap and cheerful, and fantastic....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

b1dd5newbie
5 posts

Posted:
well, have gone out, blagged some innertubes from a bike shop for free and purchased a roll of gaffer tape for a quid! How cheap is that. Feels good, although the test os gonna be over next few months to see if it holds up!

Good work people! Thanks

Also........ neoprene?!? How do u cut it? in strips ///////// or one big sheet [ ]?!

cheers Blu cat!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
one big long strip smile

its by far the best grip i've used in 6 or seven years of making toys.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'll have to try the neoprene.

I split an inner tube down it's length wash it and wind like normal grip fastening the ends it's nice but could be better.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I find bicycle innertube gets a bit slippy when wet, although I had better results with the innertube from motorbike tyres (still not perfect though)

Have to find a source of neoprene, by the sounds of it!

Bluecat: when you attached it, did you use glue or tape or both? neoprene sounds like the kind of thing that would melt with the use of superglue...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone, its been cool to see your brainstorming smile I'm making a glowstaff at the moment, and the polycarbonate tube is crystal-clear and smooth at the moment. I a) want to make it cloudy and b) add grip to the staff.

Is it possible to get translucent grip? My firetoys staff has a silicon grip, and I *think* its translucent (though it does get a bit grubby!) so I'm thinking of wrapping the polycarb tube in silicon, as to add grip, as well as diffuse the light coming from individual LEDs inside the tube. BUT I don't want it to obscure the light too much ... just diffuse ... I guess testing is in order.

A quick search on google hasn't retrieved any suppliers of sheets of silicone ... is the only way to spray it on (sounds a bit messy...and I want to get a perfectly even coating otherwise my sloppy work will be very obvious when light is shining through!)

I find silicon on my firestaff really nice, but it does tend to get ridiculously slippery if paraffin spills on it when dipping ... plus spinning the staff on top of my head, the grip wraps my hair up until its kinda fused to me scalp ... d'oh! Plus silicon (and any other staff grip for that matter that I've tried) REALLY dries my skin out when I'm doing contact frown ... impregnated moisturiser the way forward?

Neoprene sounds interesting smile *waits for old wetsuit to appear on freecycle*

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
My mate (who doesnt post here) has just made his second prototype glow staff from probably the same kind of polycarbonate tube you've got hold of akgraphics (sounds the same). He covered it in clear silicone and it works a treat. He sanded down the tubing first to get the diffuse glow and then got a piece of tubing slightly bigger (wider) than the polycarbonate, pumped the silicone into the gap between the 2 bits of tubing and slowly pulled the larger one up the staff while pumping more silicone in. This gives you a nice even coating of silicone all the way up the staff.

Its a really nice stick, easily as bright as aerotechs and cost about £30 to make. Its only fault is its a bit light for lots of contact but it still looks great.

"Don't do it naked!"

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
That's such a cunning plan! The polycarbonate tube is actually the centre-shaft from my flowtoys staff (I hope sean doesn't mind!). So your friend sanded the staff first? That seems to suggest the staffs' lights weren't diffused enough with just the silicone on its own... i guess making the outer surface rough would help the silicon stick to the polycarb. How did your friend stop the silicon dripping out the bottom end of the tubes as the outer tube was pulled up? Thanks for the tip sandy!

(My previous idea before reading this thread was to enclose a lot of sharp sand inside the tube, and shake it lots, to get a uniform diffusion on the inside of the tube) ... kinda manual sandblasting!)

Page: