MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So graduation is today. Today, when I'm done sitting through silly speeches and wearing this absurd costume they're giving me, I will be truly a physician in all eyes.

Before you all rush to congratulate me, I hate graduations. "Pomp and Circumstance" is my least favorite melody ever. I didn't even want to go to my graduation but for the fact that my mother made such a big deal over it.

I was just taking my Senior End-of-Year Satisfaction Survey and one of the questions they asked pretty much summed up my thoughts on these last four years.

Written by:

During my medical school training, I feel that those inherent characteristics in me that allow me to provide compassionate care for others have:
a) Decreased
b) Stayed the same
a) Increased

I had to answer (A). This place has sucked my humanity out of me, it has robbed me of my compassion, and I feel that it has turned me into a colder, more machine-like and robotic person than I was when I started. Rather than go through the list of indignities to which I've been subjected (you shared the most recent with me), I'll just leave it at that. I'm more bitter, more sarcastic, more hateful, less tolerant of others, and less compassionate than I was four years ago. And that makes me sad, but it also makes me angry.

I feel that there is nothing about the last four years worth celebrating...except the fact that they're done. And I already celebrated that in London. So to satisfy the expectations of others, I will put on my silly robe and sit through the inane speeches and stand to recite the Oath of Hippocrates one more time.

But I'd much rather not. shrug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hug
kiss

Be you. smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean about the graduation ceremony...Doctor, but like many of life's great events it's only going to happen once. I', sure you'll get through it and I raise my coffee cup in a salute to your completion.

Would I be correct in assuming the past four years were an internship? and my understanding of an internship translates roughly to being a slave in a hospital, or to put it another way, paying your dues. Well,,,they're paid.

I hope you can continue to practice your chosen profession, but from now on, on YOUR terms. I'm sure coming to terms with the harsh realities that make up the medical profession is a challenge for most everyone.

Cheers....David

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh dear, dear Dave. What a damn shame. And you're one of the good guys!!

May all your bitterness become righteous wrath on behalf of those with less power and skill.
May all your jadedness become the sword of discrimination, and may you find a celebration in your heart in whatever way is truly true, to feed the compassion that is currently not dead, but sleeping to survive.

These 'celebrations' are so often glorifications of the System, 'aren't we so clever and powerful'. I'm glad you celebrated in real style in London for YOU.

When I became a baby therapist, after 4 years of work, we did a ceremony that was actually helpful. We pondered and finally each wrote 3 things we felt we'd learned during our time. Then our trainer ripped the papers up, put them in a bin and set fire to them. Poured the ashes on the floor and said. "All we can give you is a qualification in applied insecurity." Getting qualified is 'supposed' to be a great day: many many peeps actually feel let down depressed or even angry. If not tomorrow, the next day.. in some ways, this is the beginning of learning.

I recently read and reviewed a good book called The Resilient Practioner by Thomas Skovholt. Could be worth a look over the next year or so.
Meanwhile. Congratulations mate, really: for you not them. clap

And stuff Pomp and Circumstance. Go somewhere you like and play something you like LOUD!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ed209Ed: geek, staffer, past participle
122 posts

Posted:
When I graduated, most of my friends and I felt that it was very pompous and a bit of a distraction from the real business of celebrating in the pub.

But we all felt that the day was really for our parents, who supported us all through school and many of whom supported us through uni too. So we all donned our silly outfits and received silly scrolls for their sakes, as a big thank you for giving us an education. And they absolutely loved it so that worked out well.

Then we went on to the pub smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It was HOT. And my institution is in love with the Speech. And when I say the Speech, I don't mean brief, entertaining, fun speeches like they did at Stanford, I mean SPEECHES a half hour long. That go on...and on...and on...

And my mother made a huge deal about it.

With what the school did to me three days before I was to leave for London, I didn't even want to be there.

Now I'm going to go swim, then go out and party this off.

But it's 100% official, I suppose. I'm Dr. Mike, even to another doctor. Oath and all. And what's even better is that I will never graduate again.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You have been on HOP at least four years too. Maybe you found one to balance the other.
Your life is hopefully more your own now to guide as you see fit. Rediscover yourself that you want to be.
hug hug hug hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
as a present for being such a good boy,for wearing silly clothes and listening to slilly people i shall lend you mine, you get mech for the day biggrin wink good luck!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Omigod I called you Dave!!!! footinmouth
What a goose I am!!!!!!! Totally automatic on the name! spank
So sorry!!!!!

Meant all of above to you anyway, YOU, not this fictitious misnamed hybrid of my error!!!!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

HOP Newsletter