Posted:
this is very amusing

BURN!

my state of mind creates my world

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
That thing's frickin cool. I want one for when debt collectors come round. smile

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
that is an obvious display of too much free time... but so is my post count, so i dont care

so weee! awesome... i want to stick one on the roof of my house and fry evil people biggrin
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1117658311)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
*drool*

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i agree with FRD, Hooray for random posts that up your count

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

ubblol That's terrifying

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
aaahhhhh the l'il rubber duckie!!!

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
That would provide many many hours of fun. *evil laugh* no more door to door salesman would come to my place

Do we sleep when we die?

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
and for my 500th post I'd like to say that the solar death ray is nothing new...
legend has that alexander the great used one to destroy an enemy fleet by building one on shore and directing it at the ships.

now I don't have TV in my house, so I only see TV programs while at diner break at work, which is usually great nonsense or discovery / national geographic.
on discovery there is a program called myth-busters, where they take (urban-) myths and legends and test them as accurately as they can, and so they did with the solar death ray.
they build a HUGE one (really really big) and tried to burn down a ship with it!!!!!!!!!

....it failed umm

so now kids, what did we learn from this???
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ubblol

PS: did you ever leave your CJ ball lying about on the blanket in the grass? that lens is a small solar death ray by itself and will burn a hole through the blanket... I got the blanket to proof it!

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
ubblol what a way to waste some time... hehehe

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Aaaaah!!!!

Those are the exact same airwalks I'm wearing right now!

Jesus helps me trick people.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i saw that episode of Mythbusters too, on SBS. they heated the wood on the boat to 200degrees, farenheit i think, and managed to make the water sealing stuff start to melt away but it didnt light. They then proceeded to fire flaming arrows at it, failed, molitov cocktail it, failed, then poured petrol all over if and cocktailed it, worked.

they then got this enormous 'death ray' which had to be lifted by a crane to stand up, then pushed it over, smashing the 300 mirrors on it.

*other things they have done include shooting frozen and thawed chickens at salvaged aeroplane fueselages and seeing what sunk stink cures actually work :P*

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I'm going to build one of those

mark

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
psssst... parliment of peace...

you'd best read this wink biggrin

https://www.solardeathray.com/FAQ.html

where it tells us this wink

Written by: solar death ray site

What about that episode of MythBusters?
MythBusters is a show on the Discovery Channel, where some talented people
test various myths and urban legends. During episode 16, they tackled the
question "Did the Greek scientist Archimedes set fire to a Roman fleet of ships
using only mirrors and sunlight?" They built a very large but eerily similar cousin
of the Solar Death Ray and tried to set a chunk of a recreated Roman boat on
fire. Long story short: they couldn't get it to work. And yet my version does...
Why? Well, for one thing, I'm trying to focus light on an object a few feet from the
mirrors, and they were trying to focus on an object dozens of feet away. The
farther away the target, the more precisely aligned your mirrors have to be. I know
my mirrors have to be within about +- 0.5 degrees to properly focus light on the
target, and so the MythBusters had to have mirrors much more precisely aligned. I
don't know how they aligned their mirrors, but I suspect that was the problem. In
addition, I would have used a concentrator design much different from both their
version and the Solar Death Ray. Still, I agree with their conclusion: It would be
very difficult, but not impossible, for Archimedes to have pulled this off, mainly
because of the manufacturing tolerances involved. But if Archimedes had the
resources...

Did MythBusters copy your design? Did you copy their design?
No, I built both of my Solar Death Rays (Mark 1 and Mark 2) before this episode
aired, so I couldn't have copied their design. And I didn't start the website until
after the episode aired, so they couldn't have copied my design. It's probably just
a coincidence (great minds think alike).

could be a liar tho shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ed209Ed: geek, staffer, past participle
122 posts

Posted:
Hmm.. if you mounted the mirrors on movable platforms, you could control the angle with a computer and fry targets at varying distances and... no, must stop evil thoughts... must...use... powers....for....good......

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
Something like a CNC Solar Deathray...you could build a website and let random internet-people remote-fry stuff smile

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

Fire Taigermember
105 posts

Posted:
i want one.

The quest for poi perfection may bring much enlightenment...
and burns
OOUUUUCCCHHHHIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I think everyone does...
ubbrollsmile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
the possibilities if one did have a solar death ray are endless....

Sam JelfsBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
The easy way to make one is grab yourself an old satallite dish... cover it in a nice shiny metal and replace the reciever with your target and away you go... a basic solar death ray... if you wanted to go one step further... you could place a lens at the focal point (or just after it) to collect the light into a beam, and then you would be able to aim a beam of very bright light / heat....

ed209Ed: geek, staffer, past participle
122 posts

Posted:
Written by: *robyn*

the possibilities if one did have a solar death ray are endless....

Yes, but mainly:
1) You could burn stuff.
2) You could use promise/threat of burning stuff to acquire money/power/all of the above. biggrin

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
indeed!

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
You can use a magnifying glass as a mini version of the solar death ray + you can always have it with you in your pocket. Magnifying glasses actually work really well .... i was burning my name into my shoe and it burned right through and scorched my foot eek devil
If i did something stupid like that with a magnifying glass i wonder what i'd end up doing with a solar death ray. weavesmiley