_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Just got off the phone from my mum who has told me about the hack on ezboards.
Thousands of posts across hundereds of boards have been deleted, or when you try to open them they are 'unknown'.
David, my mums partner runs an ezboard for poetry and art, and his site has roughly 500 posts left on it..

I know HoP is on a different server, but thought it was worth a mention anyway. Imagen if that happend to us and we were left with 500 posts...Thats like a small chunk of the word association thread! With everything else gone! eek
There must be so much hepful information lost frown David knows of various health groups, and cancer support groups... frown frown

Ah well, such is life with silly people involved

Kids, computer hacking is sooo not cool angry mad2

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
angry mad
hackers, and especially "haxors", piss me off no end...

fine if they just mess around, or use it to gain, but not harm... but people who just run amok the internet fcensoreding around with stuff and writing viruses seriously gets to me

hugs to all those affected

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
2 noteable points here:

1) Anyone running a server storing data should know better than not to do regular backups. It's not a matter of if the box fails it's when. This could be having it broken into or hardware failure.
2) It's not fine if anyone breaks into a server. Even if they do 'no harm' they've still breached privacy and could cost the company a lot of time and money as a result.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know how 'big', the HOP forums are?

And are they backed up?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep they're backed up
*taps head*
It's not called doing a Durbs for no reason y'know wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
ubblol

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
yeah someone (a sneaky russian) hacked lzfk back in march and we lost about 6 months of data. i wasnt impressed...even less impressed to find out how often the backups were done (ie not very). hmph.

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
Another forum i post on was completely emptied when it got hacked at the start of the year. There was problems with the boards coding and they worked out a way to get admin passwords. One day there was 3 years worth of posting, the next there was all this rubbish saying the board was hacked and crap. Glad the back up worked, only lost a couple days worth of posts.

Do we sleep when we die?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
just got an email from mum:
Written by:

Just read your post on HoP.

Perhaps you could let people know that the backup system was comprehensive but they managed to get into it and delete the backup data. When ez backup now only some old posts return. All recent stuff gone. Just thought I'd mention it. Good thread, thanks for mentioning it on your board.

Firstly, my mum goes onto HoP? Cool cool Secondly, its nice to know that HoP is backed up as thoroughly as that. Thanks Malcolm hug

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Perhaps you could let people know that the backup system was comprehensive but they managed to get into it and delete the backup data

That sounds like a complete lie to me (not by your mum, i'm sure she heard it from someone else). What's the point of having only one backup? and even worse keeping it stored online? Or even in the same location for that matter? Sounds like either gross incompetance or a complete cop out to me. Malcolm manages to do it right, and ezboards is magnetudes larger than hop

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

Imagen if that happend to us and we were left with 500 posts...

*dreamy look* That'd make housekeeping round here a lot easier!

Even if the server was reduced to a mound of molten slag and then burried in plutonium lined concrete, the HoP forums would still be recoverable. Although why you'd do such a thing to a server I don't know.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

angry mad
hackers, and especially "haxors", piss me off no end...

fine if they just mess around, or use it to gain, but not harm... but people who just run amok the internet fcensoreding around with stuff and writing viruses seriously gets to me

hugs to all those affected

Hokay, I know who you're talking about (not specificly, but in general subculture terms) and you're demonising the wrong folk.
Hackers are the ones who play with things (generally the ones who identify as hackers play with computer systems) to make them better, find out what they can do and have fun with them. Crackers are the nasty buggers who wreck stuff and steal over the web. They call eachother things like hax0r without deliberate irony but the media's latched onto the wrong word. For more completeness of definition try searching google for the hacking lexicon, then look up hacker and cracker seperately in it.

Sympathy to those hit on ezboard, one of the forums I go on with the old echelon server got spammed a while ago and it verily is annoying and mean.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.