fcukBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
hi... im completly new to poi.. just started today,
and im currently stuck on the butterfly.. can neone help me out ? i keep tangling the cords n whacking myself =[
the cords are longer than my arm length though , could that be causing problems?
tthx..

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Right: [Old link]

And secondly...
I genuinly want to know why you started a thread instead of looking through old ones or searching? Im not havig a go in anyway, we need more people to use the search function that the site provides, instead of gunking it all up with repeated threads.
How could this site be improved so that new people (like you) search instead of just do new threads?
The thread I have linked to, is a sticky thread (it doesnt move from the top of the board) and we thought that might do the trick...but evidently it doesnt.
I think that renaming it something more helpful would be...well... more helpful..

smile

hug

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
A good addition to Simians thread would be the addint of links to the tuorials along with each of the handy threads for each pattern- so here is 'x' in the tutorials- here are related links and tips to achieving it.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
jon - good threads on how to do the most basic of the moves (like the butterfly) are extremely hard to find.

i reckon that's why fcuk posted a new thread smile

even the handy links thread you linked to doesn't have a list of useful threads for advice on how to do the butterfly.
or reels.

chutney's idea is a very good one.

but it points out the fatal flaw in having a list of helpful links as a sticky thread rather than a proper article.

as it stands, simian has now been lumped with the responsibility for updating and maintaining the list of links - the biggest problem being that he don't come round here much these days... shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Yeah, a good butterfly thread would be good to link in the useful advice thread. Go find one UCOF, use your mighty search powers smile

As you may have noticed, people don't like answering questions that have been answered before, but seeing as no-one can come up with the answers in another thread I'll offer some advice here smile

1. Make sure one hand is a bit above the other. Just a little bit, not a lot! Keep it nice and slow, if you spin fast you won't figure out what's going wrong and it'll hurt a lot more when they hit you. Take it easy smile
2. The length shouldn't matter too much. Most people seem to like around arm length. Try wrapping your cords around your hands to shorten them up a bit and see if that helps you.

"Take that, math!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
My bad.

redface

I assumed that simian would do a fully comprehensive (you know what I mean) list of moves 'n' things.

hug

Its a good thing I didnt post what I was originally going to wasnt it..... spank

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Here's a thought- How about the link list/ article actually being presented immediately following registration to the forums- a sort of - 'Welcome to HOP- here is your first port of call to learning to spin' and then the article either displayed or conspicuously linked to.

That way it would be an unavoidable part of becoming a new member to the forums- Yes, some people will click past it, but if designed correctly I think it'd be really handy.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

as it stands, simian has now been lumped with the responsibility for updating and maintaining the list of links - the biggest problem being that he don't come round here much these days... shrug

more than you might think, actually... wink

Chuternee's idea is awesome, and i'll do it when i get some time.

now has anyone actually got any butterfly hints?

when i learnt, i found it easier to keep one hand slightly above and in front of the other hand.

and remember that the poi shouldn't be totally "lined up" with each other like this:

|

o (KEY - the lines are the poi, the o is you, viewed from above)

|

they should be more "wonky" like this:

\

o

/
EDITED_BY: simian (1117642379)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

wave

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

fcukBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
some reason i can do the big butterfly but not the oen with the wrists together T_T

fcukBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
hmm actually i just got it ^^ now for the next step ._.