SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I know most of you live outside the US, but for the ones who live in the US:

Please, please do this!

Most of you hate Bush.

Wanna do something about it? Something that's easy, fast, and will actually make a difference?

Please sign this letter

Why should you go through the all the effort to click a little bitty link and add your name to this letter?

This is a letter directly to president Bush, written by congressman John Conyers demanding some sort of an explaination reguarding the Downing Street Memo

The DSM is a document first brought to public eyes by the London times proving that Pres. Bush had definitive plans to go to war with Iraq regaurdless of Saddam Hussein's compliance to United Nations demands as early as 2002. WMD or no WMD.

The congressman has so far collected around 50,000 signatures.
The goal is to get 100,000 signatures by the time that congress reconviens next week.

This is the first step in beginning the impeachment process, which is difficult to do as the House, Senate, Supreme Courts, and White House are all republican controlled.

Please do this. It's simple and it will actually do something.

Clinton was impeached because he lied about a blow job.

Bush's lie has so far killed 1,600 people, and wounded, dismemberd and maimed many many thousands more.

Please help stop the evil.

Thanks,
-Sick-

Jesus helps me trick people.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
See also https://www.911truth.org/

I've yet to see any organisations opposings the British Labour Govenrnments postal voting fraud, but George Galloway is exposing this in his constituency, and it could spill over into other areas if it gets pushed into the media.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but didn't you lot all have a chance to kick him out?

Most of you voted for him then so I don't see how this'll change anything.

I could be missing something though.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well apparently since 2000 the popular vote doesn't mean anything. Also his opponent John Kerry was a freaking idiot. If the Dem's had run *any* other candidate they would've won in a landslide. The anti-bush sentiment in the US is massive, but it get's muzzled because the Republicans are in charge of everything and all the mainstream media is in the hands of only 5 companies since Clinton de-regulated the media, and Regan-Bush I did away with the "fairness doctorine" back in the 80's.

Besides that, I know it's hard for those of you out in the UK and in Europe to understand, because you have much much better media coverage of American politics than we do. The US currently ranks 29th in the world where free press is concerned. Most people are completely clueless, or don't have the time to go looking for what's happening in congress or the senate, or which F'ed up policy Bush is sneaking under the table today. I often read the Guardian and sometimes the London Times to find out the national news, as most of the media here reports anything but the news.

On the plus side, chocolate rations were increased this week.

Have a double plus good day!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
On the Press Freedom from the UK is actually a place behind you and the rating system means that US is joint 8th place and the UK is joint 9th.
The difference may be that the majority of the press here still see their role as that of inquisitor (or rabble rouser). Which means that a journo will happily quiz the PM as much as they can, whilst in the US it seems they roll over and beg to have their tummy rubbed.
The problem for the UK is that the general population are completely detached from our current trend for centralised, 'cult of leadership' politics and would rather hear about pop idols than policies and get fed their views through the tabloids.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Just recently (last week I think it was) there were a couple of radio talk show hosts and journalists who spoke before congress begging for *any* legislation that would make a free press possible again. And it was something as simple as a table of standards so that if a show is calling itself "news" it actually has to be news. Opinion shows have to be labled as such and so on. It wouldn't even neccessarily change the station format of any of the cable "news" networks.

This is most of the problem with American media at the moment. Almost everything regaurding national news and government is opinion and punditry labled as news. There is very little actual reporting anymore.

If it seems like the press here is begging for a tummy rub from the white house, it's because they are. You see, in the name of security in the face of the war against terror (or "TWAT" if you will) all the reporters that get to question the president are hand selected. If they report the president in a bad light, they are not asked (or allowed) to return.

Actually, just recently in the last few weeks Newsweek got publicly reamed because the reported on a story of abuse of the Koran. A little tiny four paragraph snippit, on a story that had been widely reported on all over the world, including the US since at least 2002. Newsweek was blamed for riots that happend in Afghanistan and Pakistan in which thier own government's police opend fire into the crowd and many people died. The Bush administration publicly blamed Newsweek for causing this. The F'ed up thing is Newsweek submitted an advance copy of the story to the white house for approval, it was signed off on and OK'd by the white house. And the white house condemnation of the story is what dominated the headlines instead of the fact that the Afghani protest was orginized months in advance to protest the building of US military bases in Afghanistan, and the fact that despite all the promises from the US they still have no parlement, only Kharzai who was an oil executive and a parter of Haliburton.

And sadly, this is just a small recent example of the state of things in the US.

I really miss having an independant press here. It was only ten or fifteen ago that there were hundreds of media companies and apples were called apples and oranged were called oranges. Now you can choose your own reality depending on which talking head you tune in to.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
It's at the point where the media is owned by such a small group, that whole countries can have their opinions swayed by the views of just a few men.

Something else to consider is that a corporation is required by law to put the profits of shareholders above all other concerns. If the corporation happens to be a newspaper owner their coverage is likely to be biased to support the views of the shareholders. In the case of UK papers the major shareholders are:

- Rupert Murdoch (Sun, Times, Sunday Times, News of the World),

- Lord Rothermere (Daily Mail, Evening Standard, Mail on Sunday),

- Conrad Black (Daily Telegraph).

The Telegraph is Britains biggest selling broadsheet, and the corporation that owns it has Richard Perle and Henry Kissinger on the board of directors, which should give you an idea of it's politics.

Rupert Murdoch's Fox Media group is well known for supporting right wing policies, and giving very biased views. A whole film has been made on the subject (Outfoxed - Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism).

In the UK and the US democracy has failed as a political system because too much power is in the hand of those who control public opinion.

There is sufficient proof to convince anyone that GWB did not legally win in 2000, and considerable evidence of voting fraud in 2004

In every state that used electronic voting machines manufactured and administered by republican owned Diebold, the % of republican votes counted was significantly greater than in exit polls. States that hand counted votes did not have such large discrepancies between counted votes and exit polls.

However the majority of Americans are most likely completely unaware of this, along with the fact that Iraq has no WMD, Saddam and Osama have no connections, and a plane did not hit the Pentagon. British mass media also will not cover these facts, as they are owned by the same corporations.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I follow Dom's thinking here-

The big suprise I got when I chatted to some 18-25 ish americans last summer (one of which who is now my girlfriend) was that people trust what they are told in the US far more than in the UK. Here in the UK politics is recieved with scepticism and sinicism most of the time, whereas in the US there does still seem to be something sacred about the position of the president and the role of 'truth', ie if the President says it is the right and proper thing to do, it is.

Obviously not all Americans think like that, the recent election showing that a more European approach to Politics is being taken, but it does also raise this sad proposition: It is becoming necessary to doubt at almost every turn those put in positions to guide and lead us apparently in our own best interests.

The US is a brilliant place in so many ways; the optimism and enthusiasm seen at the heart of American culture is something I think Britain could with a little more of- yet it is this exact characteristic that allows the country to be misguided and misled- just like a young child, it appears to be beautifully youthfully naive.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
What do you mean by "European style" elections?

I hope by that you don't mean "rigged", lol.

But it's time consuming enough to try and keep on top of what's actually going on in American politics, that my knowledge of the EU systems is sadly lacking. Also in my travels through the UK I have never been there during or around election time.