Forums > Social Discussion > The HOP UK Visitor's Phone

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So as those of you who followed my trip to England may know, my first action upon arrival was to get a mobile phone. This is because not having a mobile phone for a month is about the most crippling social ailment one can have.

Now that I'm back in the US, I still have the phone, but it's useless here. So I'm going to send the phone back to England where it will reside under the kind roof of Mr. Chutney.

I had a pay-as-you-go Virgin SIM card, but Virgin Mobile is pants, (12p a minute and 12p a text? I think NOT!) so I'm going to recommend that a non-Virgin SIM card go in. Anyway, it'll be a couple of weeks before it gets back to him, but all UK visitors may make use of the phone once we get it sorted.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Actually you may not even need to mail it Mike-

I've discovered that that simm needs to be registered, thus why it wouldn't work in your phone (though it would have done.)

Anyway, I've recently got a new phone (samsung D500) which I have to say i thought was pretty average, so I've gone back to my lovely PDA Phone instead- this means I have a SIMM and a phone which i'm happy to donate to the HOP UK Visitors Phone cause. The plan is as Lightning has outlined- basically, anyone coming into the country will have a phone at their disposal for the duration of their visit- all they'll need to do is add call credit and mail it back once they're done. Also seeing as it wil pass through the hands of several hoppers (Mikes Simm already has many numbers on it) there will be plenty of poiple readily contactable with the phone. Other local numbers (Cabs, travel details etc) will almost certainly end up on it as well, so it should be a prety handy little tool for anyone passing through.

2 possible problems are a-
1.someone finds out about the scheme and tries to knick it posing as a Hopper

2. the numbers get abused-

obviously I could just factory reset the phone eachtime someone is done with it, but I'm guessing several of us wouldn't mind being callable to catch up with or help out a spinner from a foreign land smile

I'm going to register the SIMM by the end of the week- i suppose I'll have to find someway of booking the phone out (maybe against the HOP calendar) and then we'll iron out the details from there.

Your thoughts?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What do you mean by 'registering' the SIM? The dude at the phone store took out his own SIM, popped it in my phone, and then it rang... And we had a laugh because it was one of his mates calling him.

-Mike

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
ubblol - The SIMM is brand new, so it needs to activated and registered with Orange before it'll be allowed to talk to the Orange mobile network smile

It even said so in the little book supplied with the SIMM tongue

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
anyone can abuse my number, although its not on the phone. doh.

put it on, put it on

passing through, this world still lives.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"1.someone finds out about the scheme and tries to knick it posing as a Hopper"- confused Are yoiu saying a non Hopper would browse HOP, see this thread, and go to the effort of trying to trick everyone into giving them it? confused

2." the numbers get abused"- Dont hurt the numbers! What do you mean the numbers will get abused? umm

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
1.- Yes that what i'm saying biggrin- There aren't many places that will send you a sparkley new handset and then trust you to send it back- I dunno, I'm with Hobbes on much of human nature so call me a pessimist if you wish.

2. The 'number abuse' this is just a further of point one I guess- should someone get the phone there would be lots of people to randomly text and call ad in the wrong hands that could end up with lots of nuisance calls etc.

Again, I'm looking at specifically bad points here.

On the plus side this is a really cool idea and everybody shoul be excited about it, especailly any foreigners with itchy feet. smile

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
If I want someone to have my number, then I'll let them have it personally. Lightning - please delete my mobile number from the phone. Thanks smile

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Sir Sheep- thats exactly one of the problems I was trying to raise above- thanks for highlighting it smile

Just so everyone knows- as it is, Mike's Simm is in the US and not going anywhere fast- Now I'm looking at setting this up with a fresh SIMM and phone and so anyone with their number on Mike's phone can rest easy about it being put into the hands of others without their permission.

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Thanks Mr Chutney Sir, I've had nasty experiences of random people obtaining my number and making obscene, upsetting phone calls. I feel better for knowing that my number will be safe biggrin

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
*BUMP*

Does this sound like something poiple would want? Is anyone planning on coming to the UK who might make use of such a thing (Mot for example is coming over soon).

Your thoughts are gratefully requested smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OOOOOOOHHHHHH Synchronicity!!!!

We think it's a great idea!!!!!!!!

clapclapclapclapclap

As it happens my daughter Elly is landing in London on 11th June and we were JUST talking about having to get her a phone!!! I am of course a HoPper, as is her brother Knoxious. We can also get 'local' references (that we aren't the phone nicking type!!) from Dom, BamBam, Garth....ummmm..... FireNix, BenJaMen, Parafinfairy... ummmmm...Bluecat, Coleman ( oh no hang on, we haven't actually met yet!) We would be more than happy to pay for at the very least calls... in order to know she has something that for sure will work in UK. I was going to send her with a dodgy old Nokia from here.....

She will be in UK till about 20th June, going to Ibiza to meet up with her FlameOz family for a few weeks, then back again to UK... she's 15 and good and responsible (otherwise I wouldn't be sending her to the UK on her own!! We'll even put some extra $$$ in if necessary or help Mike out with his .. especially if it is one we can use in Spain as well, Spanish SIM or whatever

Can we, can we?!?!?!

rolleyes bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce biggrin

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I need to move to New York before I can mail the phone back to our fine chopped-caned-fruited friend (Mr. Chutney), so 11th June may be too soon.

The phone itself is a low-end Nokia variety. It's no-frills, but it does what it's supposed to do. It doesn't pick up signal in the US, but it does in England, which leads me to believe that it would work anywhere in Europe.

The phone itself cost £40, but I'll donate it gladly. I guess it's just my way of thanking England for being such great hosts. But 11th June will be a bit tough to pull off.

-Mike

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
No worries Mike, and thanks for responding so quickly!! I guess if we can use the ChutneyChat one then yours could arrive in town for the next arrival....
Glad you had a great time in the UK and by the way BIG congratulations on getting your Dr quals beerchug clap

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Mike- TBH you don't need to send the phone or the SIMM- I have both here and they're both up for grabs. If you do send it back we could run 2 phones I guess, which wouldn't be a problem.

Newgabe- as long as I can get the SIMM activated in time (which I don't see as being a problem) I'll mail the phone to a UK address with charger and instructions. Then all Elly will need to do is add credit to the service which is done on a prepay sytem- this way I can't be charged for any calls which is why this works so well smile

The only cost will be that of maiing the phone which I suppose could be recouped by a check being sent back with the phone, but its only a couple of pounds so no problems there either.

Bear in mind that calling the phone will actually cost her money from outside the UK- the way the call is routed will incur charges on the phone, and calling out of the UK will also be extremely expensive- it might be worth getting an international phonecard for her as well to call home with.

Other that, all sounds good- Let me know via PM how you wish to proceed biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Wicked Mr C!!!
I will PM pronto....

HoP rocks!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"The phone itself is a low-end Nokia variety. It's no-frills, but it does what it's supposed to do. "

Low end? Its quite nice if I remember rightly..
Its even got a torch! biggrin

and who needs anything other than phonecalls and texts on a phone really? WAP is crap, and MMS is expensive.
I suppose a camera is handy...but not nearly essential.

I think this is a *wicked* idea. Nice one bounce

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
The 'other' phone I have is silly new and swish- videos, flashlight, slidy front- It just doesn't push a geek like me's buttons. Still, not bad for a free upgrade.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mr Chutney

The 'other' phone I have is silly new and swish- videos, flashlight, slidy front- It just doesn't push a geek like me's buttons. Still, not bad for a free upgrade.

Now hang on a minute here, Mr C:
This is a 15 year old girl we are talking about here (well, it's a phone, but you know what I mean). Swish! Slidey front! Silly! ubbloco

She will be in heaven!!!!

*thinks..Swish.. Slidey front.. Silly... Hmmm maybe we are talking about the girl....* wink

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
No comment wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

Low end? Its quite nice if I remember rightly..
Its even got a torch! biggrin

No no... it's a FLASHLIGHT. The phone even says so.

Anyway, it's low-end as in the cheapest phone I could find. It's got a black-and-white screen, no camera or web access, no fancy ringers or blinking lights and it won't wipe your bum or do your homework or anything else. But the flashlight is actually quite handy, I'll grant.

It's got excellent reception, great sound quality, a battery that never seems to run low, and a straightforward, user-friendly interface with predictive text messaging that I even taught a few cursewords, so the next user won't need to be bothered. ubblol It's a pretty stripped-down model, but it does what it's supposed to do exceedingly well and my brand-new phone that I just got here in the US is also a (high-end) Nokia thanks to my lovely experience with my Nokia in England. And my brand-spankin'-new US phone will work quite well in England next time I'm there. Just have to toss in a new SIM card.

-Mike

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I have an Orange pay-as-you-go... the crappy little Samsung phone I bought is "locked" to Orange and the dodgy people in Camden couldn't unlock it, so this is my donation to the cause as well... I give it to my poi spinning friends who travel to the UK.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Wow, we are getting quite a phone pool going here!

Elly will be arriving in the UK on 11th and will be in touch with you re the Samsung in the first few days she is around, Mr C. As it happens we were able to 'unlock' her phone here, ( it is a question of how long it;'s been owned, ORbit, not necessarily *dodginess* smile

so she will bring it with her anyway. But it is rather old and plays up a bit, so we would still appreciate to borrow the Spiffy Silly Slidey etc one..... also that way I don't have to loan her my digital camera!
Cheers
Gabe

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Just to say the Orange SIMM is now activated and following its return from Elly's hands it is ready to be offered.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Whos elly?

i should meet this elly....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Kyrian,
Look back in the thread... Elly is a young lass whose mum and bro are HoPpers, who is currently travelling in UK and Spain to meet said bro and various other family and friends and have a major break from mid-teen school life etc.... Getting the offer of this phone was one of the amazing synchronicities and generosities that helped her trip happen..... smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, the First Official HopPhone Handover has successfully taken place. The girl and I are both most grateful... her crappy old phone she brought with her as a backup isn;t evcen recharging any more so the timing was great!
Thanks Doc Thanks Mr Chutney for such an inspiring idea....

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Excellent, glad its working out smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Evening all,

Where's this mythical phone right now? Is it over in Spain? Kyrian's in the country for a visit and I don't know if she's sorted anything out phone wise.
Ta!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
The phone is currently with Newgabes daughter Elly- I think shes in Ibiza and then the UK for a bit before its returned, plus I'm in the US so I'm not in a position to forward it- sorry!

If we can get the second phone sorted (imight be seeing Mike so I can hook up the second) and get a booking system/ thread started out so all this suff will be easier to organise.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Exactly. I do have the phone here. The deal is that I want to keep the SIM card so I can use it when I go back to England.

But it's an unlocked phone, so any old SIM card will work on it. The phone, however, does not get signal in the U.S.

-Mike

Page: