Forums > Social Discussion > The problem with obsession.

Login/Join to Participate

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Since I can't imagine how this could be solved by posting here, I guess this is technically a rant.

Something has been bothering me recently. All my life, I've had these little obsessions. I've given my heart and soul into most of them, but I've reliably lost interest in each. I've been thinking a lot about this, and I realize I've had dozens of these, and all of them have just faded into apathy.

I'm starting to really worry that poi is just annother of these obsessions, that I'll loose all interest in at most a year. I really love poi, and I get so encouraged by finally being really good at something. I loved all the other hobbies I had, too, but now I'm not really bothered about having lost them. I can only hope that somehow this is the exception to the rules.

Thanks for listening.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
Yeh i know what you mean,
I listen to music all the time and sometimes it scares me to think i might just get sick of it one day! eek

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well, on the plus side, if you do lose intrest in poi it's very likely you will find a new obsession to pass the time.

Or perhaps it's time to simply look past "things", and find whatever it is that you're searching for inside of yourself.

Jesus helps me trick people.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Don't worry about it, its probably got a lot to o with your age and the fact you've realised you loose intrest in these things, probably means you won't I too was worried that I would loose intrest in poi, but I haven't yet.

Also you should watch the film 'adaptation', because it covers this a lot and might help.

At your age your still learning who you are, and this this is a normal part of the process hat nearly everyone goes through.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Are you more addicted to the community of HOP or the practice of poi???
If you walk away from poi with some new friends or a happy glow I would count it as a good thing. If you decide to travel its a good thing to take with you. Mobile and a good way to meet people.
Enjoy your obsession.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gnorc

Are you more addicted to the community of HOP or the practice of poi???

ubblol well said.

yeah sparkey, know what you mean.. i'm quite the same, but the other hobbies havent disappeared altogether, more like being pushed to the back of my mind. I think you'll find that you'll go back to things, but give it some time, conquering new things is what you need for the moment.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I'm like that, too. But I have to say, while I haven't been spending much time on HoP in the past year or so, I have still kept up with poi and fire. I think of the serial obsessiveness as a way of cycling through as many things as possible in hopes of finding the few that truly catch us, and keeping those.

E pluribus unum, baby.

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
ditto

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Thanks everybody for your input. You're probably right, I don't really have much to worry about. The fact that I'm really worried about loosing this is probably a good indicator that I won't. It's still an unpleasant feeling, worrying about loosing something you love so much.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
Looks like this thread has been rapped up but i just thought i would put my 2C in biggrin

Personally the way I’ve combated this my short attention span is to simply move onto another form of object manipulation. Problem is that im getting through them all so quickly smile The progression so far has been something like:

Diabolo, Balls, Staff, Poi, Devil sticks, 2 Diabolo, Contact, Meteors and at the moment both Clubs and learning 3 diabolo.

All this over the space of about a year and a half. I think my short attention span has help in my overall growth in all these disciplines because it has allowed me to gather amore overall understanding of each 'toy', allowing me to cut and paste moves and theories from each to the others.

Also means that i can pick up most props and atleaset beable to link together some sort of combo.

So i think that diversification is the best way to keep your love for your fav prop alive. ( i could have just said that straight out from the start but im bored smile )

fire leads to creation

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If you slowly lose interest... wouldn't that be the opposite of an obsession?

And I see nothing wrong with that. Life is a journey. I treasure my memories of past interests and hobbies even if I have no interest in doing them now.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*Thinks about adding a comment about girls (and perhaps NYC) but wisely decides to shut up.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire