Page:
WikidLikwidnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hey I was curious on how people with their own styles hold their poi?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Between my thumb and forefinger?

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep, same here - like you hold your front door key when you're about to put it in the lock smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
gripped in my hand like a baby hanging onto a rattle biggrin biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
either tied to my handles or between finger and thumb for buzzies

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
wrapped around my fingers for anything shortned or just grabbed in my hand.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
loads of different ways

i find when i stick to one method for too long (like the door key style which i prefer), i end up getting hand cramps and/or blisters.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I don't have my own style sadly... wink

But yes, different grips for different moves.
Or not gripping it at all - which opens up lots more moves biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
depends - if i have handles i use first and third fingers (most of the time somtimes first and second)

with my socks i hold the knot between first and second unless im doing a buzzsaw when i hold between thumb and first :P

back

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
With my socks I weave them in between my figers otherwise my hands hurt, handles are wonderful things!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
one big hoop: around 1st and 2nd finger.. i don't know how to explain, but i kind of twist it before i put it on so it can't slide of.
double hoop: 1st and 2nd finger, or sometimes 1st and third

no hoop. (flags without handles and sock poi): between thumb and first finger.

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I can't seem to get a decent grip on my socks if I don't hold them "front-door-key"wise... but I get massive cramps in my thumbs. frown So not much socky action for Mr Me.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

upsidedownmember
32 posts

Posted:
when spinning double finger loops i use my index finger and my middle finger (swearing fingers), if im useing single finger loops i have them over the same fingers, socks i clamp in between my swearing fingers, but if im doing buzzsaw in use the front door key method

There is nothing quite like standing on your head.....

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
whats the "buzzsaw"???

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Dunc suggested playdoh in the end of the socks and its actually really nice to hold onto. Long socks give room to tie one knot, then playdoh then another knot. Its kinda soft and malleable to hold and weights them a bit for catches. Well throws, catches implies they are caught.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

WikidLikwidnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
i cant do the key grip bc im afriad itll fly out of my hand...im just looking for my own comfortable style and its really difficult so im just asking for opinions from other stringers so ya....W.L.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

whats the "buzzsaw"???

Do a search :P

"Take that, math!"

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: gnorc

Dunc suggested playdoh in the end of the socks and its actually really nice to hold onto

Works v nicely indeed smile But credit is to Rossco Bossco not moi

Written by: WikidLikwid

cant do the key grip bc im afriad itll fly out of my hand

They shouldn't fly out (unintentionally) if you practice, you can't do anything till you practice wink I don't have loops on my fire either, just small monkey fist knots to grab and it's no problem.....be brave smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

IncendiBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
It depends on what handles I'm using.
Rings: around the index finger
Knot handles: in my fists kinda like holding onto rope, so the cord comes out bewteen my thumb and index finger
My nylon handles and leather ones: around my middle finger

But yeah...depends on what I'm using

The statement below is True.

The statement above is False.

Which statement is correct?

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
knots are great in socks to hold on to.. i find the knot method rather beneficial due to the slowly continual stretch of the common sock.. the knots help maintain a constant length. give you something to hold on to. something to counter-balance the weight of the head when you do throws.

if you get cramps i would say that you're either holding on too tight, or havent done enough knot-holding (or door-key holding :P ) to train your muscles sufficiently... smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Fishtankalphanewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Three fingers on the right hand (weaker, though I am right handed), two fingers on the left hand. All in loops. Frgt handles. If I use my thumbs, I pull them tight against the area just left of my index knuckles--sorta bone-to-bone ... no flesh ...--and I push on the hoops.
I find that blistering is a problem, for beginners, but after a while, the hands grow strong to the friction, and the hoops just feel good. hug

And that's my special method. weavesmiley ubbangel

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
My fluffy poi, fire poi and flags have double loops, I put them over my index and ring finger (1st and 3rd) so the poi come off the back of my hand. After watching scales of poi I am inclined to try it facing off the palm though.

I had huge issues with my sock poi, they kept slipping and flying across the garden (I really didn't want to have to go to the neighbours and ask for my poi back). I tried tying a knot, but it was never big enough and I had to grip too hard which led to cramp. I tried tying a loop, but it tightened as I span and then...... I applied my sailing knowledge and tied a bowline in the end (it's a knot you use for tying up boats, notorious for not slipping https://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Bowline.htm
)it's ace, holds really well. I put it aroud my 3 fingers, then put my middle finger over it like figure 2 here https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach.php/3_7_7)
which gives a level of consistency in the way I handle my different poi.
EDITED_BY: kash (1154865042)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I dont like fingerloops.. or handles.

I like cones.

preferably with ice cream in.

and a flake.

bounce

Im with the thumb and forefinger posse. Keeping it real. umm

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
When I have double loop handles, I use second and third fingers, coming off the back of the hand.

With socks, I hold the very end between my 3rd and pinky fingers, then wrap the poi around my hands once, then grip it with the key method. This ensures that the poi stay at the right length, and reduces the cramping work my thumb and forefinger have to do.

My preference, though, is to use one larger loop. I hang it from my 2nd and 3rd finger, pointing down towards my palm, then split these fingers apart and feed the cord back up through them, so it pokes out of my fingers around the second knuckle bone. I believe I have heard this grip referred to as the kite grip. It allows for comfortable control, and it requires no effort to keep it on your fingers; as the poi spin, they tighten the handle around your fingers, ensuring a firm, easy grip.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

BzraelBRONZE Member
45 posts

Posted:
depends on the move. if im doing a buzzsaw, its between thumb and forefinger, if its like a btb butterfly thing then they come out between other fingers and end of my palm (little finger). most of the time though, i hold them between the middle and forefinger

z0b0tGOLD Member
1 post

Posted:
 Written by: kash

My fluffy poi, fire poi and flags have double loops, I put them over my index and ring finger (1st and 3rd) so the poi come off the back of my hand. After watching scales of poi I am inclined to try it facing off the palm though.
I had huge issues with my sock poi, they kept slipping and flying across the garden (I really didn't want to have to go to the neighbours and ask for my poi back). I tried tying a knot, but it was never big enough and I had to grip too hard which led to cramp. I tried tying a loop, but it tightened as I span and then...... I applied my sailing knowledge and tied a bowline in the end (it's a knot you use for tying up boats, notorious for not slipping https://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Bowline.htm )it's ace, holds really well. I put it aroud my 3 fingers, then put my middle finger over it like figure 2 here https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach.php/3_7_7) which gives a level of consistency in the way I handle my different poi.

Hey, thanks a lot kash! i just got my first pair of sock poi this week and have been having issues holding them securely, especially after using my flag poi with already made handles. I found this knot to be the most effective and its way easy to take out and adjust ---so thanks! I would definitely recommend using this method to anyone having the same difficulties. Also, i found it really comfortable to use the bowline to make a really small knot at the end and put my pinkie through that and put the sock in my palm then hold the poi with my index and thumb (i think this is sometimes called the front door key method)

biggrin

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kash

I applied my sailing knowledge and tied a bowline in the end (it's a knot you use for tying up boats, notorious for not slipping https://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Bowline.htm )it's ace, holds really well. I put it aroud my 3 fingers, then put my middle finger over it like figure 2 here https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach.php/3_7_7) which gives a level of consistency in the way I handle my different poi.

could you take a pic of the bowline as its tied to the sock it sounds good but i cant form a mental pic.
thx

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book

MeeshkaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Hmm. With chains, I nearly always use the loops, middle finger and ring finger.

With fabric, I usually either wrap it around my hand or just kind of grab it.

Shaemonnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I just grab the handle between my thumb and my forefinger. I find this is the most natural way for me to hold my poi but sometimes I let go slightly and a poi goes flying! >.<

Sometimes I will also use the finger loops on my forefinger and middle finger, depending on how I feel and the move I am doing.

The string on my poi sometimes rubs against my forefinger making it sore, so I am still experimenting with the best way of holding my poi.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
In a similar method to the playdoh one I've tied bouncy balls into the end of my socks for use as handles.

I think that's my suggestion to anyone who gets cramp from holding between thumb and forefinger; make sure you've got bulky enough handles, so you really don't have to close your fist very hard at all. smile

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Three different ways of holding the poi is what I use.

1: One finger in each loop. (I use salza`s dubbelloop handless)
2: The chain in the bottom of and between your point finger and long finger, with straight arms.
3: One finger in each loop and the chain around your hand and hold it between your thump and the point finger for nice precicion,.......

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

Page: