Forums > Social Discussion > Does your job suck too?... career ideas and guidance

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone

I'm starting this thread (my first one ever!) because, well, my job sucks. Most of my previous jobs have sucked. I know lots of people who have jobs that suck, but very few who are happy and feel satisfied by their jobs.

So, to get to know you all a bit better whilst also trying to explore the vast diversity of jobs and careers that may or may not be out there, I would like to invite each of you to say a little here about your current job (or studies), the good and bad bits of it, where you hope it will lead to in the future, the skills you have learnt, how long you had to train for, how much it pays e.t.c.

If you feel like a rant because your job sucks, go for it. This thread is about getting to know each other more, finding out what it is we spend so much of our time doing when we're not doing poi and how we feel about what we do. I'll start...

My current job: Well, my title is 'fundraising, events and marketing co-ordinator' but these days I am treated more as the general office junior. I work at a Hospice for terminally ill people, but in the money-side of the organisation.

Good things about my job: smile It's the first job i've had where I am not someone's 'assistant'. I work with my friend from Uni, so that's fun. It's been interesting working for a charity that's very small and has little money or resources to waste. I do enjoy the planning and organising of events and publicity. I only have to stay another month. Those are the only good bits really...

Bad things about my job: frown Rubbish wages. I dislike a lot of the attitudes around me at work, it's very bitchy here and people are always stabbing others in the back and making presumptions about people. e.g. some people I work with do not think I do enough work, think that I'm incapable of some simple tasks because of my age/studentness, or patronise me and distrust me. I also dislike the fact that since my line manager left, I've been given little guidance or challenging work to do.

Future career path: Have not got a clue! Have a year of studying left (thank God!) to get it sorted a bit more. My degree does not link to any particular career (except training to be a field anthropologist or lecturer). Was thinking about getting into fundraising management, pay is good and it's great fun doing events and PR, working for charity is rewarding but I'm having huge second thoughts. The Charity sector seems to attract a hell of a lot of dodgy people who I don't want to work with. Plus I've got other interests that I could train in professionally, like diving and yoga, where I could pretty much be my own boss once qualified. Who knows? All I know is I want something I enjoy doing, which pays a decent wage and where I don't have to work with complete assholes all the time.

So, who's next? Maybe one of you can inspire me to take a completely different direction to the ones I've thought of. biggrin

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

LOCfanSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
Haha.. how perfect is this? I've been searching for a new job for the past week or so, having become so fed up with my current one.

Right now I work at a Bagel/Deli shop. I work incredibly hard, get lousy pay, haven't had a raise in forever, I'm stuck training new kids, I do the inventory, and I still make the same as everyone else. I've been there over a year, and I can't stand it anymore. It doesn't help that I'm borderline schizoid/severely introverted.

I also work at a Serpentarium on weekends - it's a 'living snake museum.' This can be interesting, and is somewhat along the lines of a career I'd like to pursue (animal care), but my job there has nothing to do with the animals. I'm the 'ticket girl' umm This is getting tiresome, as well, but at least I have the opportunity to sit in on snake surgeries.

What I'd like to do is be a writer and professional fire performer. The circus is coming to town next week, and I'm going to try to speak with some people there. I don't want to have a regular job. I'm tired of feeling like I'm wasting my life on a job I hate, to make money to pay for things I don't need. The whole system seems like it has been built to keep people in a state of depression and frustration. Rarely do you find someone who really enjoys their job.

Anywho, does anyone know anything about being a professional fire performer? Any troupes around that I could join? wink

.: Sanity is calming, but madness is more interesting :.
~Russell

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah I do! smile

I'm a teacher / manager at a Senior College. Its stressful (sometimes) and challenging (most of the time) but I teach interesting subjects and I have some great moments with students and some of the staff are cool etc etc. Pays great and I get school holidays off with pay (loading). Plus its permanent which gives me the stability to do big stuff without feeling stressed (like buying a home).

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I love my new job, I landed it like Jem landed hers, hard work and luck smile

I work for The Circus Space (an establishment for circus, including a degree programme, professionals and youth & adult programme). I work on the degree course and it's fantastic. Everyone is lovely and you don't get told off for looking at juggling videos on your computer! he he he..

My advice - just go for something you love doing. I love the circus, but don't want to be a full time performer. I love having weekends off, I love having a stable income, and I like the organising side of things. Therefore my job is perfect.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Pink, that soudns fantastic! I have a mate in London who goes to the Circus Space to do acrobatics I think. Sounds sweet!

I have found something really interesting I'm going to apply for... don't want to say too much about it right now in case I jinx it! it's an unusual job with training provided and it wouldn't surprise me if hundreds of people apply, so I don't know what my chances are, but I'm going to just go for it and keep my fingers crossed! smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
So an agent has signed up this group that is what I went to school for. Apparently they are hiring. I don't know how much pay is but I know we pay our own insurance. The other thing is that it is in a really really really bad neighborhood and it's farther away. And there is the issue that they are a new group with the company I work for now. It seems sorta unethical

(I'm talking REALLY bad neighborhood and I'm comfortable pretty much anywhere)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
LOCfan - I quit my crappy telemarketing job just over a year ago to become a professional fire performer. I also do some freelance web design and video editing but performing is my main source of income. If you are thinking about doing the same id suggest thinking about a few things;

Can you motivate yourself without someone looking over your shoulder? you need to put in a lot of work promoting yourself, working on routines and generally running the kind of admin a small business involves, it can be hard getting down to all the 'boring' bits.

Are you ok with being broke for long periods? Like with a lot of stuff, performance work can be quite seasonal. Here in the UK the summer is fairly busy and christmas is mental then theres nothing around for a few months untill it warms up again around the end of april. Also it takes a while to start getting the gigs coming in regularly so you probably want some savings behind you.

Are you actually good enough? Im not saying you arnt (ive never seen you spin) but is what you are doing worth paying money for? Performing is more than just standing there spinning some fire, some character and movement is essential.

Do you have more than 1 skill/prop? not abosolutley essential, there are performers that only do 1 thing but they are usually VERY good at it. It really helps being able to offer more than 1 option to agents/clients and it will get you more work.

There is a lot of work that goes into setting yourself up as a performer, costumes, routines, publicity photos and promos, a website, dealing with clients and various other stuff, but if you can do it, it can be great fun and really rewarding too.

I love my job smile

"Don't do it naked!"

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i absolutely DESPISE my job. I love what i do (or am meant to do) and i love working with most of my colleagues but i hate my manager. He piles more and more work on me that he is supposed to do, and leaves me to it, until i start making progress and doing well, when all of a sudden his name appears on all the documents i have written and he wants in on all my meetings and then takes all the credit for it. Every time i try to talk to him about anything i just get fobbed off with answers that don't mean anything.

I'm already suffering from anxiety and depression (which he is aware of i have to leave early every two weeks for my CBT) and so i feel like i can't say anything because i'll just be using it as an excuse, or that he'll think i can't do my job because of it.

I'm on less money than the three new guys who have less experience than me and have only been working there a maximum of three months and most and they're all on three grand more than me AT LEAST when i have more experience and have been working there longer and I'm the only one that does my job (i support accounts, they're all debt side support)

I'm looking for a new job at the moment, but it's really de-motivating when you come home from a day of [censored] at work and then have to fill out application forms bigging yourself up about how good you are at your job. and the only feedback i get in my current job is 'why hasn't this been done?'

*and breath*

toobs
x

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Toobs, that all sounds really unfair and pretty discriminatory - if they are doing the exact same job as you, and been there for less time, you should be getting paid the same as them (if not more!). Does the debt side support require a significant amount more skill than your role in accounts? Your boss sounds like a total d*ck. Is there anyone else in the company you could talk to about him and how you feel about him taking credit for your work and putting unnecessary pressure on you?

Otherwise, get out of there! People like him always get their come-uppance in the end anyway, he will slip up one day and it will become obvious to everyone that he works with that he is in fact a d*ck.

I know what you mean about application forms, they take ages! I wish more places would just accept cvs... I've been copying and pasting from my cv in Word to fill in bits of application forms when I can, but they are a nightmare sometimes - I get particularly annoyed when they give you a couple of lines and expect you to fit in your whole employment history and education in this tiny little space (yeah, I know they usually say to continue on a separate sheet if necessary, but it always ends up looking a bit messy when I do that!

Comparatively, I guess my job isn't too bad... I've been having a more productive week this week, trying to keep my boss happy and alleviate some of her concerns over my motivation! (I think she knows I'm not enjoying sales work, just hope she appreciates I am trying!).

hug 's to all those suffering under annoying, patronising, incompetent managers!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
hug Thanks Tea Fairy! - just nice to get some stuff of my chest!

I'm trying to cut and paste as much as i can into application forms at the moment, i'm applying for as much as i can i just want out!!

There's really no one else to talk to at my company his boss thinks the sun shines out of his a$$.

I just need lots of luck to find something new!

toobs
x

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Good luck! hug I need some luck too, I've been applying to all sorts of things this morning, I just got into work this morning and decided I don't think I can keep on doing sales much longer! When you get to the point when you contemplate ringing in sick practically every morning because you just can't face another day, you know it's time to find something new! So I've been sending my cv out to a few different things, sent it to some recruitment agencies too for the hell of it, so fingers crossed! There are a couple of things I'm really hoping I get right now, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
*Bumpety-bump!*

Not wanting to make this thread into a diary, but I have another update: I'm leaving my crappy telesales job! Had a chat with my boss, who said she didn't think things were working out, which I agreed with whole-heartedly and told her I basically was trying my best, but not enjoying it therefore finding it hard to give 100%. So I'm leaving on Friday to... well, find a new job!

So now I'm in a wierd situation of not having a clue what to do... I'm going to see a few recruitment agencies next week, hopefully something interesting will come up in the enar future. I just feel really happy at the moment that my telesales time is over and done with! Feels quite exciting and liberating at the moment, but I'll probably get stressed about being unemployed next week. ubbrollsmile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
hm!
i have a complicated job.
i work in an 8x8 cube("kiosk" technically, but we are inside of it not outside) in the middle of a mall, where as few as one or as many as 4 people work at once. usually just 2 or 3 though. in my little cage, i daily perform metalsmithing, watch repair, engraving, telephone sales, customer service, graphics design, advertising and marketing, help motivate and train newer people (since other than the owner, i'm now the longest running employee), and generally make sure everything keeps running like a well oiled machine. i also am in charge of doing just about anything you could think of with a computer or the english language, from creating inventory sheets, to typing appraisals in intelligible english...

in addition to the store, the owner has a correspondence school to teach people jewelry repair, clock repair, watch repair, and restringing. i am in charge of graphics and web design and maintenence, sales and prospect outreach, project troubleshooting, and i'm writing the instructional text for each course that goes along with the dvd we send our "students".

it's great to be able to work with my hands. working in the middle of the mall, i see a ton of different people every day. obviously you get the bad eggs now and then, but it's nice to form good relationships with people and see them continue to come back every month or two for something else we can help them with.

it's challenging sometimes to have a boss (the owner) who speaks some english as a second language, and who is completely computer illiterate. there are some things you just can't explain >.<
it's also tough trying to learn delicate repairs on your own in the middle of the mall with a torch that is 4" long and a steady stream of customers who come to the counter EVERY time you sit down at the bench to work >.< i have definitely melted and broken more than my share of watches and jewelry during my learning experience.
the up side about that is that now i find myself in a position to use all the mistakes i had to make to supervise other people and teach them not to make those mistakes.

i also model part time =)

i have a sweet and wonderful viking boyfriend in norway, and i will be moving to be with him as soon as i catch up on my taxes. damn taxes *shakes fist* for now we settle for a visit now and then and keep in touch over the phone or web. one day we are going to go deep into the forest together, build a fire, cut our palms and bind them together, and consummate our marriage overnight in the old-fashioned way ;3

i can't imagine having to find a job doing something else than the trade i have grown to respect and admire. i have been working in the same mall since 2003, at a variety of different retail places, including suncoast, spencer gifts, things remembered (which was a little different because i was the top level engraver in the store ;3) i think moving to europe is going to be somewhat of a challenge in the career department. the gender bias is big enough over here...i can just imagine asking some old crotchety viking jeweler to take me on his team...i wonder if i'd even make it to a bench test ;[ and i certainly do not want to go back to working only in retail. i guess in the worst situation i could try to work in a museum or something ;\

Tea Fairy - congrats on getting out of your bad work environment! i'm terrified of not being employed, too...it's a reason i have stuck with some bad jobs in the past...

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
a-ha! never join the army.. that`s my "job" at the moment. i get 3.80€ per day. i work 24h per day so that`s not a lot biggrin and every single minute of every single hour sucks. this has got to be the worst job ever.

sorry about the rant but i have to have some outlets to my misery and this seems to be like a good one =)

If we can`t live in peace then fu*k it, let`s die.
The owner of Chellybeans right arm!

Peace -Fyre-

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
3.80 euros a day for the army!

That's slave labour!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
i know but my other choises were even worse. i still have 145 days left so i`ll be free soon tongue

Peace -Fyre-

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
I've been off sick and job hunting!! i get to hear back from my most wanted on monday!! *fingers x'd*

*hugs* to Fyre, What are you planning to do when you get out?

Oni - I have in-laws in Norway, where about are you going? If you end up in a city (Bergen is where the Jones' are based) then i hope it wont be too hard to find something - maybe som ething jewelry-y in the tourist area?

toobs
x

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
i'm heading to the other side of norway--tønsberg
apparently my boyfriend's neighbor's someone or other owns a watch repair shop in the city....
and i've looked for goldsmithing jobs there but they just want someone to work the counter and sell jewelry, not someone to actually do any work, from what i can gather....

good luck, it's monday! hope you heard something positive =)

woot finnish army! where are you stationed fyre?

DEAD FREEDOM

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
So i've been offered a job, but somewhere else want to offer me a job too, so i have to wait and hear back from them today!, and now i'm all confused about what i want and agencies are STILL calling. Bit of an ego boost if nothing else!

Oni, maybe you should think about taking the selling job, you might be able to work your way up from there? kinda an entry level thing?

toobs
x

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I`m going out for a job hunt when i get out of here =)
I´m in Finland, Vekaranjärvi. I`m a medic so atleast that might come in handy when job hunting tongue now i`ve been trained how to kill/heal people, what a contrast biggrin

Peace -Fyre-

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
How ironic.

I know a guy, was a medic in the Guklf war - now he suffers from Gulf War Syndrome.

It's not recognised in the UK but thats a different trhead all together.

smile how muhc longer do you have left?

Handed my notice in today through!!! woooooooooo!!

toobs
x

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
well... I guess as jobs go, my "job" doesn't really suck...

I'm mostly left alone to do my work; I'm pretty good at it; it pays well; they're very flexible with working hours and very understanding of my needs as a 50/50 single (for now) dad.

it's the profession I can't stand; I've been hoping that an alternative vocation would find me for quite some time now but I really can't figure out what else I wanna do with my working life. I don't know a single computer programmer who isn't either a hard-core techie nerd (so, sooooo not me) or burnt out on it all (very much me).

actually, what I'd really like to do is live at woodford folk festival for the rest of my life; but #1 it only runs for a week every year and #2 I've thus far had to pay them to be there, not the other way around...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
no, see fyre
you've been trained to kill "them" and heal "us"! ttly different tbh ;3

pogo-i used to work at a renaissance festival. you can actually make a living on it, but you have to travel around to OTHER festivals too and make use of your talents there...i don't think that would be very easy on your single-ish dad life.
you should look for ways to spice up your programming career! i don't think i'm a hardcore techie nerd...but i love coding ;3 it's another form of manipulation - it's so gratifying (imho) to force something to do your will with a few simple lines.
and then you can build on the simple lines to perform complex functions <3 geekgasm ;3

DEAD FREEDOM

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
*chuckle*... ye, thanks oni... I'm realistic about the festie thing... nice in theory, but until the kiddies are grown, it's just not going to happen; and by then I'll be in my late 40s...

as to the programming; I used to embrace it; I used to crave learning new technology; making it do what I wanna; solving the unsolvable. the real, underlying problem is that I could go with that for a long time, cos I'm naturally good at it (no false modesty here), with a strong mathematical bent. it's the technology I'm not so good with; I have always said and I continue to maintain that I am the only technophobic computer programmer I know. I can't drive my mobile phone, I had no working pc @ home for 4+ months, cos I couldn't get either of two dead boxes to work.

should've prolly stuck with the cryptography that I was studying years back when I had the chance; more maths and less computing, but life got in the way... ahhh well...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
my new job starts in late august....law school student.

from the end of this month until then...no idea

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

TwinklebitsthefairyBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi Tea Fairy!!

I am too a tea loving fairy and my jobs sucks so badly! I work for the smelly council doin an admin job where everyone is bitchy, we're over worked and underpaid and they're going to cut our pay too.

I have a degree that takes me nowhere! what can you do with philosophy and theology apart from teach?

Anyway I have a mini fairy business... its not much but it keeps me sane at least! I'm just in search of that perfect job.. gotta keep the hope up!! biggrin

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:

I love my job! The actual moments while i'm there aren't too great but every day at 3:25 I get to go home! I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
My job is ethical and interesting (mostly) and could be a great job... a really wonderful job. BUT I have a lame boss (at least she's not in-the-face bitchy) who makes it so much less than it could be. But really the worst thing is living in airconditioning and fake light all day. Like prison.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
I work in Hospo. Its not great. Its not the worst thing in the world (better than my last job in a call center), but I would really like to do something else. Since I left school I havent had a great Job. Retail, retail retail, call center, Hospotality. Am I deston forever to have a job that I dont enjoy, and that pays crap?
What I would really like to do is become a Make-up Artist. (Specalising in Special EX) but the corse I want to do is £1200 for 9 months and I don't know how I would ever get the money for that.
As far as I know I can't get a NZ student loan unless I study in NZ, and cant get a UK loan because im not a UK citizen or Resident.
(unless anyone has some bright ideas. feel free to let me know!)
I think I am Doomed to have a low paying job that i dont enjoy frown

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I just started a job at Blockbuster video. It's cool. I get 5 free rentals a week and I can apparently claim going to see movies on tax, haha, seems a bit dodgy though!

It's okay, the money isn't great while I'm still training, but when I'm off trial period it will be a bit better. I don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life, but this is pretty cool for a temporary thing smile

I ultimately want to get in Disabilities. I did volunteer work helping out on kids' holiday programs a few years back (crafts, day trips, swimming etc) which I loved but I have to go back to study to do it. I'm thinking I might do it next year. Not 100% sure though, a big part of me wants to travel more first.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
AND! My boss Just told me that Im not aloud to have Sundays off to do the one thing that really interestes me that i can only do on sundays at the time. i dont see why one of the other 4 people that could work, can work so that I can fucken well go to my class. [censored]. Grrr! LOTS OF BAD WORDS!

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

Page: