Forums > Social Discussion > Does your job suck too?... career ideas and guidance

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone

I'm starting this thread (my first one ever!) because, well, my job sucks. Most of my previous jobs have sucked. I know lots of people who have jobs that suck, but very few who are happy and feel satisfied by their jobs.

So, to get to know you all a bit better whilst also trying to explore the vast diversity of jobs and careers that may or may not be out there, I would like to invite each of you to say a little here about your current job (or studies), the good and bad bits of it, where you hope it will lead to in the future, the skills you have learnt, how long you had to train for, how much it pays e.t.c.

If you feel like a rant because your job sucks, go for it. This thread is about getting to know each other more, finding out what it is we spend so much of our time doing when we're not doing poi and how we feel about what we do. I'll start...

My current job: Well, my title is 'fundraising, events and marketing co-ordinator' but these days I am treated more as the general office junior. I work at a Hospice for terminally ill people, but in the money-side of the organisation.

Good things about my job: smile It's the first job i've had where I am not someone's 'assistant'. I work with my friend from Uni, so that's fun. It's been interesting working for a charity that's very small and has little money or resources to waste. I do enjoy the planning and organising of events and publicity. I only have to stay another month. Those are the only good bits really...

Bad things about my job: frown Rubbish wages. I dislike a lot of the attitudes around me at work, it's very bitchy here and people are always stabbing others in the back and making presumptions about people. e.g. some people I work with do not think I do enough work, think that I'm incapable of some simple tasks because of my age/studentness, or patronise me and distrust me. I also dislike the fact that since my line manager left, I've been given little guidance or challenging work to do.

Future career path: Have not got a clue! Have a year of studying left (thank God!) to get it sorted a bit more. My degree does not link to any particular career (except training to be a field anthropologist or lecturer). Was thinking about getting into fundraising management, pay is good and it's great fun doing events and PR, working for charity is rewarding but I'm having huge second thoughts. The Charity sector seems to attract a hell of a lot of dodgy people who I don't want to work with. Plus I've got other interests that I could train in professionally, like diving and yoga, where I could pretty much be my own boss once qualified. Who knows? All I know is I want something I enjoy doing, which pays a decent wage and where I don't have to work with complete assholes all the time.

So, who's next? Maybe one of you can inspire me to take a completely different direction to the ones I've thought of. biggrin

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
Written by: SNOOPoi

i work at mcdonalds. that really sucks. but money is a thing a shopperholic girl like me needs. alas they pay me good money...

I worked a mcds as well for 3yrs and it sucked cooking mcds with a hangover is not a nice experiance eek

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
you didn't tell me that mate, biggrin first time i've met you in the forums

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Does anyone actually enjoy their job, or is this another "Ucof - of course no one enjoys their job - thats part of life! Duh!" type of moment?

umm

I really dont like my job - the bosses are self employed, and are generally just direct relatives of Wayne Ker - one of them I haveto sit next to in silence everyday. But hey, they give me money and money pays bills.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
That's why they pay you wink

Though I enjoy my job, so this doesn't make much sense.

Nice bump

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
yay, one of my ancient ranting threads! I'm in a nicer job now, but I'm still not 100 per cent happy because some of the people I work with are completely, utterly clueless about stuff that's actually quite vital for them to know in their jobs, but they get paid so much more than me and go about the place as though they're all really important people. The other thing I don't like is the commuting - three hours a day is quite an extreme chunk of my free time that I spend getting to and from work. Other than that, the actual job itself and the work I do, is pretty good, as far as admin work goes.

I have a friend who absolutely adores her job - she works for Discovery Channel as a programme planner, so she gets paid a fair amount to just watch TV all day and decide what programmes will be on some obscure discovery channel in Russia. I guess Media Studies qualifications sometimes pay off!

I think in general there will always be certain elements in any job that are disliked, I guess it's about finding out what you're willing to compromise on.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I like my job. A lot. I even like most of my colleagues. I don't like that my office is freezing but if I hadn't had the surgery I'd be running about in the labs anyway so I'll let the job off for that one.
I was talking to an unemployed guy not so long ago who seemed absolutely surprised by the idea that someone could make money doing something they enjoyed, that was quite funny ubblol as in, "so you actually LIKE working?" - "Yes." - "Wow, I never thought of it like that."

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Tea Fairy - what was her name?.. I might know her!
I spent a year and a half working for Disco at their Tx center in West London.
It was a bit crap, but at least we got paid to surf the internet, watch movies, learn to unicycle, sleep, eat pizza and get stoned. Well.. we were supposed to do work, but on an unsupervised night shift, its hard to ubblol

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Her name's Anneka, she's been there about 1 1/2 years now. She's a gorgeous, bubbly mixed race girl with amazing dreadlocks.

Small world!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hmm..
cant say it rings a bell. umm

Oh well..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Does anyone actually enjoy their job, or is this another "Ucof - of course no one enjoys their job - thats part of life! Duh!" type of moment?

I enjoy mine (I mean, for the most part, right now I'm in the NICU and I hate that with a deep loathing).

If you hate your job, then allow me to recommend that you consider a career in either education or medicine, two fields that are rewarding, interesting, and don't involve being a corporate [censored] or exploiting others to make money.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hehehe, I am actually thinking about training to be a teacher next year... I do generally love being around kids and they seem to really like me for some reason, I think I might be pretty good at it... I always wanted to do something meaningful that made a positive difference to others.

I need to get some proper experience with kids for a while first though, then get my head around the financial implications of not working for a year while I study again... the government here gives bursaries for teacher training, but it's not quite enough to live off for a year so I need to give it some thought and save up some cash!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Whatever you do don't do temp work in any kind of plastics or chemical related job. You could end up not being able to work ever again.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I have the best job in the world. But also the one I have found the hardest, most exciting, saddest and most depressing. Being a Mum is possibly one of the most important jobs I will ever do.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Does anyone actually enjoy their job...
I really dont like my job ...

Oh dear....
so it's not what you thought it was going to be Jon? That's too bad - update the CV and start flicking it around again.
But first ask yourself "is it my attitude to the job that makes me hate it?" I mean, many people are perfectly happy in a job that one or 2 people really hate.Think about it - I can't remember if I've given you my "we choose to be happy or sad" lecture or not!

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
Gnor you just need more time off to come and Play with us. And might I add I hope if I ever get a job like yours that I am as good at it as you are.

I have a job I neither love or hate. I've just come to terms with the fact that I do it, I get paid, and that allows me to do other things. I've had a few years of hating my job, but its more the environment it was in than the job itself.

I used to panic in High School about not having a clue what I wanted to do with myself. A teacher sat me down and said, "stop stressing, it will come to you, in the meantime just enjoy what ever it is that you are doing, and keep an eye out for something you really really want to do. I lost years of my life worrying about finding my path, and then when I was 35, I found it, and realised I had wasted all those years worrying instead of making the most of what was in front of me"

or something along those lines. It sunk in.

So on the day we had to fill in the forms for Uni, I picked up the Big Book Of All The Uni Courses In Australia, thumbed through it with my eyes closed, while asking the universe to send me on the right path, put my finger down on a page, opened my eyes and said, "well, looks like I am going to become a Mine Engineering Surveyor". So off I went to the School of Mines, and....

I am a surveyor, currently employed as a Site Engineer, building bridges and a motorway in the UK. Its ok, I get cold, dirty, muddy, messy, annoyed, exhausted, blisters, splinters, rained on, peeved at driving an hour to work every day, fed up with crappy equipment, fed up with slack ass dodgy people, and I get paid handsomely, and I get great satisfaction from seeing something get built right, and to drive along a bit of road, and think, hey, I built this road. I also get satisfaction from working in a non-traditional role.

I spent ten years working in the Mining industry home in Western Australia, and it was ok, again, not a calling, but it allows me to do loads of the other things I want to do - buy a house, give up work to go and do volunteer work a couple of times and still meet the mortgage payments, take a couple of long trips around bits of the world, and work in another country.

I gave up mining to become a chef once. LOVE cooking, so it seemed like a good idea. Did the study, worked at it for two years and realised if you are going to slog your guts out in a horrible environment, with little recognition or reward, you are better off getting paid well for it. So went back to Mining. Much easier and better paid.

Now, I still don't know what my 'calling' is, but I am getting a few little ideas, there are plans afoot. (too many plans, too many options though, thats the trouble!) I still occasionally worry about not having found a calling as such, but then I do trust that it will come to me one day, and that I'll see it and take up the challenge.

And then I sometimes worry that what I am doing does not really contribute in any way to the greater good of the world, it really doesn't. But it does allow me to do things that contribute more, like volunteer re-building post Tsunami, and spending six months teaching in a little village school in Thailand. And its because of these good bits, I am at peace with the not so nice bits in between.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

okichiBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
i have a job at a supermarket as a cashier. it sucks donkey doo doo....worst thing is i am stuck in it for at least 2 years or i lose my morgage.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law:- Aleister Crowley

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Mojojo - I love your attitude! I think I'm where you were in your past, worrying a bit too much about not finding some kind of 'true calling' or worrying that I'll never have a job I feel passionate about... but what you say makes sense, it's all the other bits in life that are important and rewarding too.

I'm very likely to hand in my notice next week - eek! Pretty scary as I don't exactly have anything else lined up yet, but we've decided to just take the plunge and move away from London, back to more rural locations closer to our families, where we think we will be happier and healthier in our day-to-day lives.

I've been freaking out lately about not being able to find a fulfilling job outside of London or one that pays well (wages in London are so much higher than the rest of the UK, even for pretty menial jobs). I think I know deep down it's all the other stuff that matters more though, so not having as much money will be ok, so long as I can pay my rent and bills all will be fine. It's still really scary and exciting at the moment though! A completely fresh start, new job, new home, I think it's just what I need right now.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
biggrin
I want to move back to London! Or Bristol! Being in this thin country air and having pretty mountains to look at is freaking me out! eek
I miss coming off the Underground and having black bogies biggrin

But I know exactly what you mean about London wages being higher - its a joke. Im currently on £13k, but if I was doing the same job in London, it would easily be £17k or even £19k

Then again - the cost of living higher in London which offsets your wage.

Written by: The Tea Fairy

I think I know deep down it's all the other stuff that matters more though, so not having as much money will be ok, so long as I can pay my rent and bills all will be fine.

Y'see I quite enjoy buying shiney technology and new things (when I occasionally want to - its not a weekly shopping trip or anything) - but I do know what you mean. All I need is food, clothes and shelter. Everything else is just a luxury.
Its just a shame I like living in luxury wink

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm at uni so I don't work at the moment. I'm back living at home for the holidays doing mandatory 6 week 9-5 placement. When I go back to Melbourne (in late Feburary) for my final year I'll be looking at jobs. Unfortunately with uni the jobs I can only really do are crappy casual jobs!

Did I mention that the placement is unpaid?! angry

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I love my job.
Cruisy, ethical, well paid and in good company with a view of the river so I can watch the pretty boats and occasional dolphins.
I am a community trainer with the Anti-discrimination Commission. And my bosses totally understand that organising a Woodford venue or taking a crew to a festival to liven up the people is entirely appropriate behaviour for a 54 year old public servant!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

looking_for_lightnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
hey.

a lot of people's jobs suck,apparently. i myself don't even have a job yet which is beginning to be sort of a problem. I dropped out of college bout a month ago,(having studied for maybe three months overall). i understood that i just don't want to study,that it's mind numbing and not for me,even though i was studying art,which used to be like my dream and stuff.

but now i'm supported by my parents,and it's not right-it's not like i don't have any time to work cause i'm studying or something:] but the problem is-i don't want to work. there really isn't anything i want to do for eight hours straight,i really don't want to live weekend to weekend anymore. especially since the choice for jobs isn't very big for a college dropout.

what i really want to do right now is to ,um,spin fire,travel the world and basically be a bum. but it takes a lot of guts,etc:/besides,it would still take a bit of money to even get out of this country. so right now i'm kinda scared and confused. the thought of having to work all the time really friggin terrifies me.:((((

any_suggestionsGOLD Member
enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
this is a fantastic thread ive really enjoyed reading it.

At the moment im stuck in a really crap job working 8 and a half hours a day monday to friday in a warehouse picking and packing items for people that have ordered online.im always on my feet,there isnt a person there i can have a proper conversation with,the managers sit at their computers all day looking at myspace plus im bored stiff just willing the minutes to pass a bit faster.
i just dont want to work here is what it all boils down.i want beeter than this for myself but i dont know what i really want to do.
what i do know is that im only working here to get the money so me and my gf can go traveling at the end of this year.so there is one positive coming out of it all.
what im afraid of is when we get back from travling will it go back to the same,stuck working crappy jobs.
i know only i can make my life the way i want it but its hard trying to find a career that suits me.

to many freaks to little circuses!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: any_suggestions

in a warehouse

Is that the Amazon warehouse in Swansea? umm

Also, get yer ass down to Swansea on a Thursday night - we have juggling club! smile

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I haven't quite got round to quitting my job yet... but we have told our landlord that we're moving out and away from London at the end of February, so I need a kick up the backside to help me get on with it!

I'm having a bit of a mental dilemma because when I hand in my notice, I feel like I'll be messing up a large number of the organisation's future plans.... we've just won a big grant to set up a new massive project.... I've been handed a 'consultancy agreement' to provide all the admin support for the Treasurer's Forum, a project I've been involved with that's just registered as a charity... there's just so much going on at work right now, I feel like when I leave I'll be causing massive amounts of stress and extra work for everyone.

It's wierd, I know all this really isn't my problem and I have a right to leave if I want to. The organisation I work for will manage to overcome the obstacles in the long-run, even if it is a bit messy when I go. Why the hell am I so emotionally attached to this job and the possible outcome of my leaving? It's funny, now I'm psyching myself up to quit I realise how many little bits I actually really enjoy. I think this is the first job I've had where I've felt really involved in the organisation and I know my work is really valued by my boss and (some of) my colleagues. I've never had another job where I've felt like this and it's quite nice, but I think it's made me overly attached to what is essentially still a basic admin job!

Sorry to rant so much!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
*bumpety-bump*

Just wanted to update, share some thoughts and get my head straight about where I am now... Well, lots has changed, I did quit my job in London and moved back to Gloucestershire. It was all a bit scary handing in my notice when I didn't have another job lined up, I was a bit concerned about money as moving house is expensive, but I got an interview through an employment agency the week before we moved. I got the job, now I've been here a month and I'm thinking of finding a new one already!

I'm currently a 'sales account manager' for a company that sells training and professional development courses/consultancy. When the agency told me about it they really dressed it up, making out it was not so much sales as 'building up client relationships' (I'd told them I wasn't keen on sales work). Turns out it is very much a telesales role, it sucks. There are lots of promises about how it will improve in a year or two, as when you do start making sales you deal with all the tenders, going to meetings, putting proposals together etc, but all that seems a long way off right now and I'm not convinced doing all that other stuff will necessarily make the job more enjoyable! It's all a bit corporate and pretentious for me, to be honest.

I think I definitely need to start looking for something else, this week my motivation is going out the window. I don't have official targets, no commission or anything, but I know my manager likes it if we call between 60 and 90 people a day. (That's the other thing - my manager is a bit intense. She tries to make out that she's all lovely and letting us get on with it, but she's always watching us and pretending she isn't... and I can't handle all the little pep talks and motivational speeches she comes out with every day!). I just cannot get the motivation to acheive this amount of calls at the moment, I keep getting to maybe 60 calls then thinking 'sod this, it will do' and then wasting time when I'm supposed to be calling more people.

On the plus side it pays the bills quite nicely (£18k in rural england for a fairly unskilled role ain't bad), my commute is a nice drive through some beautiful countryside and I'm not in London any more.

But yeah... just needed to get all that off my chest! Right, I'd better call some more random people... need to make about 40 more phone calls this afternoon to keep my boss happy... aaarrrgghhh!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
P.S. It's funny, in retrospect I loved my last job! I miss it quite a bit. frown

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hehe
anything that says sales is sales and if they try to deny it, it's outside sales which sucks even more. I did outside sales for two years

But honestly, not knowing your company, a lot of those that rely on outside sales can have great oppurtunities for advancement. At least the one that I recruit for does. It's how they retain because if you don't move up, the job will suck and no one wants to have a job where there is no advancment and you get hung up on all the time

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I think initially I was just stunned that I managed to get a job so quickly. I left my job in London one Friday, moved house over the weekend and started my new job the next Wednesday! I didn't have too much time to get my head around it all.

Advancement... that's one thing I'm trying to figure out, because at the moment it's such a small, young company (30 months operational) and I think a lot of the opportunities will really depend on how the company does over the next few years. It's basically down to me to develop my own client base pretty much from scratch, via cold-calling.

My manager and the agency told me the job will get more interesting... the salary will eventually become huge if we make lots of sales... but I just don't know if I buy it! We are such a small, young company, I'm not convinced we're selling too much training yet or that we're particularly good at what we do! We are expensive and apparently that's because all our consultants are top quality expert trainers, but I haven't even met any of them yet so it's hard for me to judge!

It's still very early days, so I can't figure it out. I've seen a couple of quite interesting job adverts recently though, so I might apply for other things... I think ideally I want to try something a bit different, something maybe not so office-based, so I'm just looking out for the really interesting jobs when they come up. I did study social sciences for 4 years, it would be nice to use those skills and have a job where I feel I'm helping other people in some way.

For now, I just need to try and keep motivated so I don't get in trouble for not calling enough people! smile

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Just from our company-it is a big one so I don't know how comprable it is- but it is in employee benefits and there are a bunch of local offices so there is a sort a saturation, people who commit are doing well, really, really well.
They do cold calling and walkins. We have sheets called centers of influence we make new people fill out. Just people that you know, and then you go from there. Not people that might be interested in your product but people that you talk to comfortably. Just tell them about your job and maybe they know someone

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I love my job!ubblove

I work for a global publishing company, and it took a lot of hard work and a lot of luck to find. Everyone is awsome and loverly smile

I managed to make use of my Illustration degree at last! and the experience I got from archiving files for an insurance company :s, a chocolate shop, a finance company, oh and my mums office ubblol came in handy.

Keep your cv up to date and keep an eye on the job market, look at jobs that you might not think of doing.

Stay positive, I felt like poo when I was out of work and doing jobs I had no passion for, but things have utterly changed after a couple of years after uni.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Page: