Page: ......
PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
ok well its confirmed.

IVe booked the date in, and so now we have a lovely big Hall with a Kitchen and toilet block, along with a big ass campign area and flat area to use for the weekend! sept 30, Oct 1, 2 and 3. Its in a beautiful location only 5 minutes from the closest Public Transport and Supermarket, or 25 minutes by car from the Adelaide GPO. We can arrange transport to and from the site from the Bus stop given a bit of notice.

We've also bought a big ass markee to use as a 2nd learning area if the workshops get too big to fit in the hall.

I was thinking we could also have a bit of a party on the saturday night if people were able to chip in for a PA...

so yeah - if you are interested in something or doing something else - say so!

and yes - there will be a large campfire, and a big fire spin.

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1117711328)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

crazy fairy girlnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hey people I am desperate to come to Adelaide. Do I need to sign up or anything????

Please let me know!!!

Luv ya!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
welcome to hop, crazy fairy girl.

a descriptive name u have there!

please have a peek at the [Old link] for the lowdown or squizz the mailing list for direct questions like what is the capital of South Australia:

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Common_Ground_Weekend/

also, can someone plz pm me what's the best flights out from/back to Melbs for that weekend? ta!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
this is where common ground is in relation to the city.

far far away

this is where common ground is in realtion to the airport.

still quite far far away

taxi costs...

independant taxis..132227 fare estimator....it will cost $90.00 dollars to get to the common ground place...she reckoned closer to 100.00 dollars.

yellow cab fares

time table for trams bus and trains.

there is adelaide metro (bus trains and trams)

the tickets are a max of 3.55 one way for an adult.

you catch the j1 or j2 from the airport and then get off at the city and catch a 178 or 179 bus and that will take you to stop 29 which is on the courner of montacute and maryvale road. That is as far as the public transport goes.Its close but not quite there... the lady reckoned about another ten to 15 mins away.

I thought maybe catch a bus to that point and then call a cab for the rest of the way? I would rather pay 30 dollars for a cab compared to 90.00

confused confused confused

the thing is that we cant really take Taj's car seat PLUS a porta cot PLUS his baby bag PLUS all our stuff PLUS our fire gear, it just wont really happen.. espically becasue we are on standby flights and I would rather not lug all that crap around with me. (in case we get bumped off a flight and have to wait three hours)In SA a baby doesnt need to be in a car seat in a taxi eek (in a private car they do!) which means we could catch a cab part way there ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

here are bender

benders booking options

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
You catch the jetbus (yes I think thats what its called) into the CBD, and then catch the 179 out the other side. The 179 stop is very near the intersection of Rundle Mall, Hindley st and King William st. Any local will know. The stop you are looking for is outside a duty free shop if that helps. The bus numbers are written on signs at the stops, so its a pretty user friendly system. If you get lost, there is also a TransAdelaide Tourist centre on the corner of Currie and King William streets, and thats only about 200m away. Adelaide CBD is very compact, it would be hard to get lost with these directions smile

I think the stop you get off at is number 26, and its right at the Coles Shopping centre Newton (Bus driver will know if you want to ask). You can do any general shopping you need here. You can call for a pickup, but MOBILES DO NOT WORK AT THE SITE so you will need to arrange with someone an approximate pickup and we can sort it out easily.

I might con my parents into acting as a pickup message service, if need be.

oh oh! and gita, we have only got the site from friday to monday, if you want to stay in Adelaide longer we will need to organise a different arrangement (but dont worry - I'm sure something can be arranged smile)

seeya all soon!

Josh

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Valura, Id be surprised if it would cost $90 to get from the Airport to Common Ground. It is after all, only about 15ks from the CBD, and only about 20 from the airport. Kate and I drive everyday from near the airport to virtually the Common Ground site, and it takes 30minutes. Last time I caught a cab home from the airport it wasnt more than 50 from the airport. I guess the woman at Independent was quoting you for country running (double fare), but I can tell you it defintely isnt country running (something to clarrify before you settle into the cab ride no doubt).

Its only 5 minutes (max10 in an overloaded pedal powered van or something smile) from Maryvale cnr to Common ground. My record is 2.32 (but that was when i was young and stupid) smile Ben walked it the other day in 1 hour. so its not going to cost a fortune! smile

Best bet is let us know when you are coming, and we can pick you up in our van smile

the buses will probly only be running 1 every 45mins or so, so we can quite accurately workout when pickups will be required. Chances are there will be others on your flight/bus to be picked up as well smile

--Edit just read that you cant have Taj in a private car without a carseat--

best bet in that case, is to order a cab for a pickup at the hills facing entrance of Coles (it has two entrances, one hills facing one city facing), something like 30mins after you get off the bus there (you will know this accurately once you are on the bus) to allow you time to go shopping or whatever. I doubt it will cost more than about $20 for the ride to Common Ground, cuz, as I said, it wont take longer than about 5-7 minutes. The coles shopping centre has Toliets, and a range of differnet shops. It also has a slightly pricey but ok cafe in the centre of it, and I think that would be a good place to hang if you find yourself having idle time til you need picking up.

Josh

PS Im impressed at your research skills! smile
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1126697702)

--

6,978 posts

Posted:
now i feel a bit silly, forgetting that leaving aeropain prices go up if ya leave it to the last minute!
:feels pain:

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
if we end up on same flights and there's enough room for me, I'll split cab fee with ya kristy? biggrin

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
if not, i should, hopefully, be able to provide lifts to/from the airport. PM me if you're likely to be interested in this service, and i'll keep you up to date with licence availability and stuff.

I'm not likely to charge, however a small petrol based donation would help out. Sure as heck won't be 90 bucks though tongue

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
just to let everyone know the first post has been updated with a map and site layout guidelines etc. there will be food available on the site however u need to let us know at least 3 days prior to the event the same goes for lifts to the site.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

6,978 posts

Posted:
nice work mate!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
I can leave it until the day to decide, but if there enough help with the beginners contact staff I could give a hand with the contact juggling if required. Ive only been doing it for about 4 months but can do most of the basics if there's beginners there. I'm pretty certain there should be many there infinitely more skilled than I - but we can work that out on the day.

Is there a RSVP list for non-hoppers coming? I probably should mention somewhere Ill be road-tripping across from Sydney with two friends Andrew & Jazz.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1126765868)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I can come guys!! smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
WOOOHOOOOOO!!!

yay!!! steph's coming!!! biggrin who am i borrowing tent space from?? umm can steph share with me please?! biggrin

*puts hand up & bats eyelids* can i get a lift please?? ubblove i have vague recollections of pm'ing someone my flight details... umm

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
oh yeah - i won't be staying any extra days...it's going to cost me heaps to change my ticket cos there aren't any cheap flights at the moment!! biggrin thanks anyway though josh!! hug

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
oh darn i was about ot ask you if youd help me entertain myself for a few extra days . i was meant to hang around lonmger but now those plans have kinda been ruined oh well..

hug me!

Hana4BRONZE Member
burner
90 posts

Posted:
Is it possible to camp at the common ground site on Thursday night? Geo, Mojojo, Juggler and I are arriving on Thursday and wanna know if that would be an option.

Also, we can help with lifts as I need to do a few airport runs to pick up Perth peeps. If you're arriving/leaving around the following times PM me and we can take you to/from site:

Thursday 1:30pm and 6pm
Friday 9pm
Sunday 7pm
Monday 10am and 3:30pm

Also, can anyone recommend a good hostel or two in Adelaide?

Thanks hug

6,978 posts

Posted:
looks the the old bendermobile's a'drivin to South Australia - haven't done that since the eclipse!

:looks pitifully at SA dirt still in nooks & crannies:

i like crannies ubbidea
EDITED_BY: bender (1126838319)

6,978 posts

Posted:
what towns are melbournians driving through to get to the adelaide hills?
are they taking the inland route past Renmark?
are they coming near adelaide to savour AFL pain?
are they taking the coast and packing a fishing rod?
are they folding space and using a wormhole?

..or are they ending all sentences with an question mark?

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Ahoy Bender mender!
Did you have no luck with cheap flughts? (that should say flights, but really who has the time..)
They should still be cheap-ish - upon looking the other day it was 95 there on the 30th and 120 back on the 3rd.
But if driving... welcome to the convoy! I don't know how to get there - you're in front my man smile

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

3,492 posts

Posted:
Just looked at the sight map on first page biggrin nice one....

.... but ummm. confused..what are the little black blobbies? ubbidea ...they kinda look like pac man and those little gohsties chacing him! ubblol

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Gee, I don't know what I'm going to do for the ten hour bus rides!

Oh, is there a time when everyone has to be gone by on the monday?

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
well we've only rented the site from friday to monday - so I guess people shouldnt be considering staying there on the monday night. Other than that I think we will begin slowly packing up on Monday arvo.

Josh

--

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
ubblol yay for limited flights between brisvegas & ademalaide! so me & moonpixie & valura & arsn & tajeebum are all booked on the same flight!! biggrin ubblol

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
That sounds like a fun trip biggrin

Yay !
I'm coming down this Friday bounce

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
bounce yay! brizzarians coming to adeeeelaide! biggrin

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
bounce 10 sleeps

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
gr ok im unorganised i know this..i went to book my flight and its gone up inprice since yesterday and theres a cheap flight on wednesday but i need to know if there is any random floor space/dog bed at all i might be able to use for the 2 days before hand or if anyone knwos of any extremly cheap places to stay slightly seedy is ok just nowhere that charges by the hour preferably. i cant camp because i dont have camping gear with me. and yeh close as possible to whereever it is we have to be would be great i dont even knwo where to start looking blah and now my unorganisedness is confusing me so i hope what i wrote makes sense.*takes deep breath*

um..yeh..help! haha

hug me!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
PM me Ezz... and yeah we might charge you a meal for staying here...

Do we sleep when we die?

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
only ten sleeps? oh crap... *starts organising*

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

3,492 posts

Posted:
eek ten sleeps... oh dear... like yay bounce... but oh dear... .:*runs off to do prep pixie business*:. ubbloco

Page: ......