503 posts

Posted:
And, over here, the metaphysics thread.

For all your UTOR needs . . .

ture na sig

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I can't find fault with your optimism quiet but are the sorts of people who are going to hold a metaphysics debate going to be sensible enough to stick it all in one thread?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Thank you Quiet!

Now that we know where all of these debates are going to take place, it becomes much easier to dispose of them.

(Only kidding man beerchug) peace

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm bouycotting this thread until I've finished my metaphysics exam on thurday tongue I'm getting more than enough madness for one week, thank you very much!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
good luck! [or: 'i hope it went well'

ture na sig

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
p.s. We're doing tumbling in gym!

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

nomeSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
Yeay, a place to ask for help with my homework smile

223 posts

Posted:
i believe metaphysics is an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
is there any such ting as good and evil?
or light and dark?
or life and death?
or is it mearly a matter of perception?

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Written by: Shu

is there any such ting as good and evil?
or light and dark?
or life and death?
or is it mearly a matter of perception?

I believe that if I had a definitive answer, backed with definitive proof, for that question I would be a very very rich man.

Jesus helps me trick people.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
Yes
Yes
Yes
and
No

obviously

i'll provide proofs if you want; email or pm me.

idealism was refuted a number of years ago, after Berkeley posited his version thereof.

ture na sig

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
I'd be interested to see your proof! Altho "PROOF" is also merely a perception!

but if something cannot exist without something else, then how can it exist at all? It's merely a human perception to make sense of things!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Written by: quiet

Yes
Yes
Yes
and
No

obviously

i'll provide proofs if you want; email or pm me.

idealism was refuted a number of years ago, after Berkeley posited his version thereof.

Just because idealism was refuted doesn't change anything, lol.
It still can't be definitively proved beyond arguement.

Besides that, I'm of the opinion that science shouldn't be used to squeltch philosophy. Killing possibility for sake of arguement can only serve to limit science in the end.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Shu

I'd be interested to see your proof! Altho "PROOF" is also merely a perception!

Proof is a demonstration of logical certainty.

Even if all your senses were removed (vision, hearing etc) and you ceased to perceive; proofs would still be valid.

If 'x' is proved, it means that 'x' is true.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Proof is a demonstration of logical certainty.

Even if all your senses were removed (vision, hearing etc) and you ceased to perceive; proofs would still be valid.

If 'x' is proved, it means that 'x' is true.

That's a little "tree falling in the forest" don't you think?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
No.

The 'tree falling in the forest' is a minor puzzle with an easy solution; for anyone who wishes to demonstrate that they have little or no understanding of philosophy, there are few better ways than dragging the 'tree falling in a forest' into discussions where it is not relevant smile

In contrast proof is the very basis of all logical discourse- if proof is invalid then rationality is dead and meaningful talk about anything (including, of course, the validity or otherwise of proof) is impossible.

ie the moment you open your mouth and try to say anything meaningful, you presuppose proof.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
"If 'x' is proved, it means that 'x' is true. "

Assuming that truth exists, wink

"All Truths are but Half Truths"

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If we're talking about logic then truth exists as it is an axiom of the system.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Yes spiralx, that's what i just said. You are assuming that truth exists in an absolute form. You are accepting that truth exists without proof that it does. If that assumption is incorrect then so is the system that relies on it.

Another axiom would be 'All truths are but half truths'.

This leads to another set of conclusions which are equally valid as those relying on a single absolute truth.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

I recomend some Meta-matematics works, they are so nice smile

POI THEO(R)IST

223 posts

Posted:
My cat drank toilet water, out of the toilet!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
which is sort of the expected eventuality, kind of like bolting your door with a boiled carrot...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The...realm they inhabit is, and always has been, timeless and unchanging- unborn, uncreated and undying."

This sounds more believable since it refrains from subjective interest.
That anything of its supposed charachter, or lack of it, could be as accurately described as a "mathmatical realm" supposes, seems a little presumptious...but for want of better words and in that mathematics is taken by mathematicians to be a language capable of describing nature in its perceptively infinitesimal details,then...sure, i suppose... redface

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Good and evil don't exist i'm afraid. They are indeed a matter of perception.

In my experience the most evil seeming people still have good intentions and believe they are doing good.

Take osama bin laden, to many he represents pure evil, to others he represents a small glimmer of hope against the evil empire.

Same with the bush administration, although if evil does exist you're likly to find it there wink

Just a matter of perspective.

I can't think of a single example of something that could be considered good or evil from all perspectives. Even the Devil is worshipped by satanics, the christian god is thought to be Satan by many, seems reasonable when you look at catholicism.

m

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I really wanted to avoid wading in- but here i am..

Yup- I'm with Nietzsche- its all differences of degree- no absolutes, only perspectival existance. Nothing more on philosophy from me, I'll get out swatted very quickly in these parts.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
'Good and evil don't exist i'm afraid. They are indeed a matter of perception.

In my experience the most evil seeming people still have good intentions and believe they are doing good.

Take osama bin laden, to many he represents pure evil, to others he represents a small glimmer of hope against the evil empire.

Same with the bush administration, although if evil does exist you're likly to find it there

Just a matter of perspective.

I can't think of a single example of something that could be considered good or evil from all perspectives. Even the Devil is worshipped by satanics, the christian god is thought to be Satan by many, seems reasonable when you look at catholicism.'

ARGH! You are confusing the fact that people think different things with the idea that there is no truth of the matter. Why not just suppose that some people (i.e. people who think it's OK to torture, rape, murder, & pillage) have got it wrong?

Good and evil do exist; they are not just a matter of perception. People do have different perceptions of good and evil, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Your argument is horribly flawed.

Here's an example of something that could be considered evil from all perspectives: child abuse.

Or do you disagree?

ture na sig

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quiet, could I request that, when quoting people, you do so in a clearer way, as in your post above, and in several others I've seen, there is no distinction whatsoever between your words and those of the person you're 'quoting'.

This is OK for those following that particular discussion, but, for those new to it, it's deeply confusing.

One way to do this is make use of the 'quote' button on the top right of each persons post (then delete the text that isn't relevant), or, if for some reason you don't wish to do that, a simple line of dashes "-------" between the other persons text and yours, will help immensly with clarity.

Hope you're not offended by this suggestion; your points are good and interesting.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
sure thing - apologies

ture na sig

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
"Your argument is horribly flawed." ~ Quiet

lol, You just proved my point about perspective, thank you quiet.

As for rape and child abuse, yes they are very bad but IMO not evil. Take for example the point of view of an iraqi mother who witnesses the genocidal killing of her entire family, and everyone she knows. To her child abuse would not seem particulary evil.

Now consider the average middle american citizen's opinion of the genocidal killing of that womans family and friends, they don't consider that to be evil in any way.

So you see, it's just a matter of perspective. But it's fine for you to have a different view point from me quiet because after all, right and wrong don't exist. Of course i don't really expect you to grasp any of this mr quiet.

m

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:

Here's an example of something that could be considered evil from all perspectives: child abuse.

Or do you disagree?

what about the perspective of the abuser?

i think i agree with spherculist
Written by: spherculist

I can't think of a single example of something that could be considered good or evil from all perspectives

but i also agree with

People do have different perceptions of good and evil, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist

but i am not sure what exist means in this context? confused

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
----------'lol, You just proved my point about perspective, thank you quiet.'

Oh, jesus. I'll keep it simple.

1. Just because two people have different perspectives doesn't mean that there isn't a fact of the matter.
2. For instance, if someone thinks the Sun goes round the Earth, then they are wrong.
3. ALL YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED IS THAT DIFFERENT PEOPLE THINK DIFFERENT THINGS. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER.

so your claim that 'you can't think of . . . something that could be considered good/evil from all perspectives' doesn't establish anything about whether there is such a thing as right or wrong. All it shows is that people rarely agree on such things.

Lastly:

sperculist: -----'Take for example the point of view of an iraqi mother who witnesses the genocidal killing of her entire family, and everyone she knows. To her child abuse would not seem particulary evil . . . rape and child abuse, yes they are very bad but IMO not evil.'

What? Are you crazy?

You don't even need to go that far for your example.

Consider: a psychopathic serial rapist might well think that rape is absolutely fine. He enjoys it, after all. There are two possibilities, then:

i) We have different attitudes, and that's all that can be said about it.
ii) We're right - rape is evil - and he's wrong.

Which do you think? Oh, of course - you don't think that rape is evil. Ever met a rape victim, spherculist?

ture na sig

Page: