Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Weave, can I get some help? Newbie :P

Login/Join to Participate

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Okay, first of all, hey everyone =) I'm new here!

I started with POI a couple of days ago when I saw an old friend of mine doing it! I thought it looked cool, and made my own training POI's...

I've only learned some easy tricks yet such as Butterfly, Mexican Wave, Giant butterfly, Overhead butterfly, Alternate butterfly and onehanded Butterfly... They are all quite easy, but I have spent alot of time practicing these last three days...

Now I am trying out The Weave.... I really can't understand how to do it, but it's sure looks darn cool!

Should I swing the right POI two 360's at the right side, and the left the same at the left side? Please, help me out, I really want to learn... If you want to, I can post some pics of my homemade POI's later on..... They work very well!

Thanks! weavesmiley

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Have a look at the free lessons on here, they should help a lot, theres loads of other stuff there too, other than that, its practice, practice, practice!

And, more importantly, HAVE FUN! biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I will have a look at that!

One other question too, is this a good POI?

Thinking of buying this....

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
its a good poi Thylith but you'll want to get pretty good before you try fire. i had my first burn recently and its not what you expect it to be :P

also in relation to the weave at if you run a search in the google box at the top you should find some links and there is also a thread that has hundreds of tips in it called "helpful advise threads"
here are a few links as well
the online lesson

lots of moves and videos
hope that helps smile

back

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Thanks linden! Im not really thinking about to start out with fire yet :P but I need some good POI that I can practice with.. My homemade isn't the best when It comes to new moves...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Long (stripey) Socks with a nice weight ball like a juggling ball are still the easiest to make. Cone poi like on HOP are good too.
Maybe teach your hands what to do using a staff first, then they know where to go.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Well, I don't have any knee-socks, so I have to stick to my homemade...

Here's a pic of them, please, dont laugh :P:P

Pic

Cheers

littlespacebugBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
theyre cute!

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
I'd say they are good. the only "weak point" could be the weight of the head.
But like all other juggling-things it is only about what you like for yourself. i can't tell you what you like but I like to have quite heavy heads. It allows you to slow down and really understand the move you are trying to learn.

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I'd say they are good. the only "weak point" could be the weight of the head.
But like all other juggling-things it is only about what you like for yourself. i can't tell you what you like but I like to have quite heavy heads. It allows you to slow down and really understand the move you are trying to learn

Yeah, I like to have quite heavy heads too! I finally learned how to do the Weave, and that was mostly because I could do it really slow and learn it in a step by step way!

The wrong thing I was doing was that I did 2 beats on the right side with the right poi instead of only 1... Now I know that I only should do 1 beat on the right side with the right poi and the same with the left...

Thanks for all the help, now I have to try something new, any ideas?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Learn chasing the sun, just have a look at the free lessons on this site and go through them. also the poi spinning book by Michel Kahn is absolutly brilliant, and teaches the basics up to advanced, I still haven't learnt everything in there. The website for the book is here and it gives you lots of information. You'll find the majority of spinners have reffered to it at some point.

The most important thing at your stage is to learn to link all the moves smoothly and you'll save yourself a lot of bother later on if you learn to do all the moves backwards- particulary the weave. Then you can learn to turn which is essential for a lot of moves and makes things look more impressive.

I don't recommend learning with fire poi, even unlit as they are painful, tails are actually ideal for beginners as they make you look at your planes more and also slow things down making it easier.

Don't worry about the whole practicing with the fire poi unlit to get use to the feel of them thing as they feel different when you light them anyway, even as a begginer and still now, I'll do a kind of warm up spin with them just to get the feel for them a bit before I light them.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ThylithBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
I'll try Chasing the sun out! It looks quite cool! The poi's I use at the moment works good, but do you think I should order those poi I asked about before so they end up here (sweden) in a good time before I try firespinning?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I would personally go for chains rather than cables, as cables can kink and fray. Oval links can also come apart but you'll find most people prefer them, you should just ensure that you check the chains for weaknesses regulary. The other type is ball-chain, but I'm not keen on those, iyts all down to personal preference.

And you will be suprised how quickly they will arrive- takes 3 days to get to the UK!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ZherecBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
A good friend of mine has bought one pair of those Weka poi, and i must say that they are not that good. After 3 months the cords are twisted and allso a big minus is that you cant change heads to them.

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
i have ball-chain, they're alright, roll off pretty easy when you get tangeld up, but i geuss thats true for most chain-link cords. i always practise with my fireheads, i find i need the extra weight, my girlfriend has tailed poi and i find the tails get in the way alot.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.