AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
HoPer's I need your help. I am in a play next fall and I have a scene in which I am in my underwear and the director wants me to be in good enough shape so that the audience goes "Oooo" instead of "Ehw". This would not be a problem if I could go to a gym this summer, but I am working at a theatre festival in New England (Williamstown Theatre Festival- if anyone is in the area stop on by) and I won't have access to a gym and so I was wondering if some of you might be able to clue me into some excercises I could do with little to no equipment. If anyone has any great diet plans that wouldn't be lumped into the catagory of "fad diet" I would appreciate those as well. If it helps I am 6'2" and 190 lb. which translates to 1.8796 meters and 86.1825503 kilograms.

Thank you to whoever responds.

Oh-- and I have a four months in which to become the sexy.

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Poi or staff can give a great upper body workout, and exercise a lot of muscle groups (when I was doing poi for a whole summer I looked a lot better), if you do it hard enough and long enough you also burn off calories, especially if you're using heavier equipment. If you're doing moves with a lot of turns you exercise the lower body too.

The most basic diet thing is to drink plenty of water. You eat sugar and it goes straight through the stomach lining into the blood, if it stays in the blood too long it gets turned into fat. If you drink enough water and go to the toilet often enough the sugar concentration in the blood won't be so high, and you'll be able to burn off fat faster than it's put back on.

Drinking anything but water is a bad idea, as the sweetners in a lot of sugar free drinks are diuretic (contain a source of phenethylamine). They make you pee more often than is natural (and out of balance with what you're taking in), so the quantity of water in your body goes down, the concentration of sugars goes up, and you start putting on fat at a faster rate again.

Hell, steer clear of chemicals in food completely, and your complexion will be so good and you'll look so radiant, no-one'll care what you look like otherwise wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
For exercises: -

press-ups done slowly and in control, pausing at the bottom without contacting the floor; are much more effective than the usual high speed 'as many as you can, regardless of style' variety. Done that way (slowly) they are a very good exercise.

Bench dips are also excellent- just put two chairs facing each other (or any surfaces of roughly equal height)- hands on the one behind you, pop your feet on the one in front; lower and raise slowly; this will work your triceps (back of upper arm) and some back muscles.

Very little weight is required for some very effective shoulder exercises eg two bottles of water held in the hands and slowly raised sideways, held as your arms become horizontal, then slowly lowered.

A chinning bar (or failing that, a tree branch, bars in a playground etc) is very useful- done with palms facing you, hands roughly shoulder width apart- 3 slow and controlled repetitions being far better than 8 done fast and raggedly.

Main thing is to keep each workout brief, focused and enjoyable (so you look forward to the next, rather than seeing it as a chore), and always leave at least one days rest between sessions (that's when your muscles grow).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
Sounds good. Thanks guys that will all help. By the time the show goes up is also about the time that I am aiming at being ready to start spinning with fire and I'll post a few pictures so we can see if it works.

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: polarity

Poi or staff can give a great upper body workout, and exercise a lot of muscle groups (when I was doing poi for a whole summer I looked a lot better), if you do it hard enough and long enough you also burn off calories, especially if you're using heavier equipment. If you're doing moves with a lot of turns you exercise the lower body too.

The most basic diet thing is to drink plenty of water. You eat sugar and it goes straight through the stomach lining into the blood, if it stays in the blood too long it gets turned into fat. If you drink enough water and go to the toilet often enough the sugar concentration in the blood won't be so high, and you'll be able to burn off fat faster than it's put back on.

Drinking anything but water is a bad idea, as the sweetners in a lot of sugar free drinks are diuretic (contain a source of phenethylamine). They make you pee more often than is natural (and out of balance with what you're taking in), so the quantity of water in your body goes down, the concentration of sugars goes up, and you start putting on fat at a faster rate again.

Hell, steer clear of chemicals in food completely, and your complexion will be so good and you'll look so radiant, no-one'll care what you look like otherwise wink

i never actually knew why they always said about dirnking so much water, thanks for explaining it smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

i never actually knew why they always said about dirnking so much water, thanks for explaining it smile

Well that's one of the reasons anyway. There are about a million and a half other good reasons to drink lots of water. One of the things with sugars and weight gain is that when you eat sugar in fruits and vegitables the main reason why it's so much better for you than refined and/or processed sugar is that it's surrounded by soluble fiber. Soluble fiber slows the absorbtion of the sugars into the blood stream, so you get a steady consistant uptake rather than a rapid one. This way your insulin doesn't spike. How your body deals with sugar plays a huge role in fat production. Have you ever noticed how diabetic people are almost always over weight?

But to answer Azadondo's question:

Poi and staff are great for toning the upper body, as previously mentioned.

I work out almost exclusively without weights or equipment of any kind really. Some good basic ones:

For upper body I usually to a series of diffirent push ups. 30 regular, 30 bulldog style, 30 cat style, and as many as i have left in me of palms turned up fist to hip. Then some pull ups if I'm somewhere that I have access to a suitable bar or branch, and you can vary those in any number of ways.

For legs I do 30 - 60 frog leaps, where basically you squat down and jump up as high as you can and pick up your feet as you jump and then sink back down into a squatting positon. This works all the fast twitch muscle as well as the deeper muscle tissue. I also do a lot of endurance things like holding a horse stance among other stances, but you probably don't need to torture yourself with that, lol.

For abs I do leg lifts. It works better with two people, but you can do it solo as well. Laying on your back, keeping your feet together, rapidly raise your feet up perpendicular with the floor. With two people you have someone standing with feet on either side of your head. You hold on to their feet for support, as it takes a lot of strain off of your back and works a few extra muscle groups doing it this way (you can also use the base of a tree, the bottom of a couch ext. to acheive this effect). Then as your feet come up they shove them back down to the floor. The key is stopping your feet just an inch or two off the ground. With another person or solo this will be very difficult at first but it will bring much quicker results.

Those things will add up to a pretty good work out that will work all the key areas that people generally like to show off, and it will work them well at that.

I would recommend proper stretching habits. Active stretching before hand i.e. long swinging kicks, arm circles ext. Things that strech the muscles with movement. Then static stretching as a cool down. Static (f you didn't just already assume) is the stretching where you hold the stretch like touching your toes ext.

Also drink lots of water. With excercise and muscle building comes lactic acid, which is what causes that burning and soreness after you exert yourself. That is how the body breaks down old muscle to build new muscle. Drinking lots of water will help flush all that out faster and eleiviate some of the soreness.

Hope it helps. That workout has worked great for me for a long time.

If you'd like I'd be happy to explain more exercises more indepth in PM or email, but I've already written a novel here, so I think I should stop with this, lol.

Jesus helps me trick people.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Will you be able to go swimming? thats REALLY good for you! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.