Forums > Help! > How to backpack with staffs..?

Login/Join to Participate

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
make something to carry them, a bag that can go over your head.
Something like a fishing rod bag? Just needs to be a long tube of material, with some straps attached. I can't see it costing that much at all.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If you are backpacking weight is always a consideration.....trying to keep all your stuff down to a weight that is comfy to carry can be a problem. If you are custom making staff how about trying to make some with a water tight chamber at each end. When you want to spin you fill the chambers up to give you the weight needed for contact. If the body of the staff is very light once you empty the chambers again they won't add much to your packs carrying weight. To attach them to the pack I would do something like Aimée suggests, make a long thin carry bag for them that you can attach to the back of your pack. Just remember to bend down going under low bridges ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I would suggest looking at bags (if u havent already bought one) with lots of straps or side pockets, if you do find or have one either strap them so they point vertically down the side of the bag or a useful trick is if it has a side pocket, cut a hole in the bottom of the pocket and thread the staffs through and then you have a useful staff holder.

Precuations thought are your staff will be on display so be careful of thieves if u leave your bag unattended, also they could be open to natural extremes such as rain, either way its prob the best solution and you can always bag the ends

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
people carry walking poles tramping.... my backpack has a strap for them... it probabley wouldnt be big enough for staff's tho... but could be adapted....

a bag would be good for carrying seperately or as protection if in backpack...

.... the prob i see is if youre wandering around with full length staffs on your back you might hit into stuff or get suck in the trees...!!!

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
A staff bag like Bens might be ok. May need adjustable shoulder strap like he suggested so getting it on and off is easier. His had one shoulder strap that was pretty long.
Can you post them to Europe perhaps, if you can be separated from them that long. wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I think a better question would be what sort of pack are you using? That's going to determine what can be carried easier and how.

With a decent internal frame hiking/mountaineering pack It would be relatively simple to stick them down under the side compression straps. There are also Ice Axe loops that might work but they're (obviously) made for ice axes so I'm not sure if you could make it work with staffs and wicks.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I've done plenty of travel on public transport (trains, buses) with staffs, 3 piece are by far and away, without a doubt, much much more convient than a full length one. You can forget you're carrying it, no extra bags, no getting stuck in door ways etc. Just shop around for a 3 piece you like (the first I had was terrible, but i like my innercore one)

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
What I would do is not exactly make a "bag" persay. For solid staves I would make two pouches that are made to fit over one or all of the staves you're carrying and then connect them with a rope or cord to hold the pouches over the ends. This way you can tie them easily on to your pack in whichever way is most conveniant at the time, carry them in hand, sling the rope over your shoulder, and also have easy acess to them. They'll be in a consice bundle and your wicks will be coverd incase of rain.

I used to hike up into the mountains here with all sorts of weapons at a time to train when I was still very heavy into martial arts. Carrying several staves in a bundle )with a little extra rope to use as a tie or a strap) was the most convieniant way for me, as I would have to change my method of carry to accomidate the terrain. I couldn't keep the bundle on my back in wooded areas and I would need my hands free for rocky slopes. It worked out very well.
EDITED_BY: SickpuPpy (1117174946)

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
two words: didge bag wink

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
eh I would tell you to buy the other inner core. having travelled extensively through europe and India with staves, poi, clubs, multiple sets of juggling balls and more, I can tell you it simply isnt any fun at all to be carrying them around, even when they arent in your hands. Getting on Busses and cramped trains in SE Asia will be a nightmare and you can save yourself the trouble by just buying the other innercore. Honestly I cant put it strongly enough to you. Even carrying 2 1 m sticks can be a bitch, cuz its a lot longer than your pack and you end up whacking ppl and stuff in crowded places (where you will be most of the time probly).

Also - in SE Asia where you wont be doing any camping or anything, take a bare minimum. You should be able to get away with a very small overnight pack of around 7kilos.

dont take too much juggling / twirling gear. Its a bitch. take exactly what you want at a minimum. eg mine for india; 5 balls, an acrylic, a couple of sticks and a pair of poi. Carrying clubs is hard cuz they are bulky (but I did anyhow).

honestly - you shouldnt need more than a few kilos of stuff for yourself in SE Asia.

let us know how you go.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Having travelled with a lot of equipment and a 3 peice staff I completely agree with Pyrolific. The smaller and less awkward your pack the better and the less hassle you'll have at airports.

Get a 3 peice that can fit into your pack nice & easy.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
if you cant find a decent 3 piece staff then i found this whilst perusing the site.
one of my friends bought this and it seems ok. just under 15quid it might be worth a try?