Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > what´s the name for this one?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
graldnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
hi,

is there a name for this move?

[edit]

according to the answers I named it shoulder roll

www.feuershow.de >>> online-workshops >>> stock >>> 1 stock einfach >>> shoulder-roll

[edit]

thx,

EDITED_BY: gérald (1117530008)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
the front half is like cradling a shotgun

Cheers mo-seph, finally an explanation for shotgun biggrin. The only thing I could think of was two barrels (double) and a smoking whip smile

I always agree with the fairy wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah mee too, i had no idea why it had such a name!!

fnf's explanation not only clears up the explanation, but also acknowledges that any single move is known by different names and is collectively known as such.

in the world of fwirlage, a rose is a rose, unless you learnt it as a tulip and read a lesson on daisies.

flowers rock.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Hey, this thread has actually helped clear something up for me: double figure 8s are totally different with a long staff and a short staff. The shoulder roll/double 8 as demonstrated in the Charles and the B & E book don't flow at all with a short stick. With my 3 foot innercore I have to default to baton moves to get more than a 360 rotation in the front and back, which is by throwing a finger out to add 180 to each. Trying this cradeling action with a 4 footer I finally get it.

6,978 posts

Posted:
i lke cradle much more than i like shotgun*

:kisses a baby:

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I like shotguns

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

6,978 posts

Posted:
i kiss babies and i vote.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
well I like mushrooms and I'm right (you all said so).......... so there tongue

WING - this move IS a lot less flowing with short sticks - initially. However once it is familiar it can be used just as fluidly both forwards and reverse as Bender's vids prove (and to some extent the short doubles bit on my vid too - though not sure how often I use it).

hug2 Bender ubblove

hug2 Stone wave biggrin

hug2 Mo-seph ubbrollsmile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
It's kinda funny.

I had been spinning for a couple of years doing that move before I even heard a name for it.

It was such simple and natural move I never even gave it much thought, but then one day there was all sorts of fuss about what can be done with a "shotgun" and I spent months thinking there was some new elusive staff move that I'd yet to discover.

Disappointed was I... lol.

But at my first knowledge of this move having a name, that name was "shotgun".

I know nothing of this snake you speak of...

Jesus helps me trick people.

graldnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
I was asking a long time what a "pinwheel" should be, until I saw that it was my all-time favorite move since years.

thanks for the explanations! smile

figur8 + shoulder roll sounds logical, but isn´t "shoulder roll" a term from contact staff?

another question:

what about this one:

[edit]

after reading the answers I named it Shotgun+Back-&Shoulder-Snake

www.feuershow.de >>> online-workshops >>> stock >>> 1 stock fortgeschrittene >>> Shotgun+Back-&Shoulder-Snake

[edit]
EDITED_BY: gérald (1117530292)

6,978 posts

Posted:
it's certainly not a single move - the staff is left behind the back for extra rotation but forces him to twist his back akwardly to fit the extra rotation. for that rotation, is it not better to twist the wrist/loosen the grip on the staff than to pull your shoulder to the other end?

this combo is remeniscent of Thai style fire staff: lots of fast rotation on the same plane, with the performer locked to the ground, lots of yummy flamey noise.

Is this dude aware of this discussion? let's invite him for tea and scones made of pretend chicken.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Again, not sure gérald. It’s an interesting move because most people I see do the inward version, behind the shoulder coming down, often into a turn. Perhaps it’s an outward staff reel or a travelling snake or he’s trying to get the staff over to his opposite hip, and do a spin in-front of the left hip wink

Personally, I think it’s a bit tekkie because holding the contorted position btb for the extra rotation looks look awaked, imo. There are better ways to get extra rotations if that’s what floats you boat. Again imo, I think it look better doing the extra rotations in front, and omitting that awaked over rotation btb, then travelling up to the shoulder. Then I like tight planes.

SickpuPpy, snakes are terns used in clubswinging and middle eastern dance. For info on snakes see Jillings. Lesson 13 Snake curls and Lesson 15 hip snakes are relevant. In particular look at Fig 15.3, the middle hip snake circle, for an extra rotation in-front. Ok, it may seem awkward with staff, but give it a try. That slip between the hip and forearm is very useful for travelling snakes, both up and down.

Apologies for all the clubswinging terms. I only put the links to show comparison, not to prove one is better. I consider them cousins kiss

wave bender T 4 2
EDITED_BY: Stone (1117344275)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

graldnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
it´s me on that clip. thanks for the tea, but what are scones?

I am aware that this move isn´t very fluid, and i agree that there are lots of better ways for extra-rotations.
but imo this is the maximum of rotations a figur8 can have (without turn, fingerspin, whristwrap etc.) therefor I believe it to be interesting.
if I may compare to poi (I like that idea with the cousins wink ): it´s the same like beat-counting in weaves. it´s fun to find out where the maximum is, but it´s not nice to look at.

I see a princip behind that:
-I can expand a figur8 (2 rots) to a shotgun (4 rots), if I lay the staff on my forearm and let the pinky-end lead (like I can expand a 3bw to a 5bw by crossing my arms)
-I can expand the shotgun, if I lay my forearm on the upperarm and let again the thumb end lead (like I can expand a 5bw to a 7bw by crossing my arms once more)

I need this back-breaking distorsion to make two extra-rotations btb.
ok, I don´t realy need it... but it´s also a possibility...

6,978 posts

Posted:
thanks for the video gerald!!!! scones are a food and a way of life!!!
smile

graldnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
yummy-yummy

if u like, have a look: www.feuershow.de > online-workshops
we´ve got 129 staff-videos,141 poi-videos, more than 160 juggling-videos and also yoyo- diabolo- and clubswinging
when we have finished the german explanations, we will translate em to english.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
eek Thank you hugely Gerald hug2

Here is a scone - for you smile

In England (especially the south west where I'm from) we put clotted cream and jam on them and have them with tea in the summer biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
English translations!! That would be fantastic. Love the videos even without understanding.

FNF: Yes, I can get an awkward shotgun with my shortstaff, but on fire it swipes far too close to the face for my comfort level. Maybe I'm still doing it wrong, but I'll stick with the fingers for now. rolleyes

linda

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
I'd call it a 3-beat fig8 w/ snaking (as opposed to w/ wrist/shoulder wrap) which is raised over the shoulder. I would usually refer to it as "triple spin" though :P.

Page: