Page:
Dr. Timnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
A friend and I were considering coreographing a fight scene, and I thought it might be kinda cool to use poi (since I can already do a bunch of stuff with it, and it just looks cool). Does any one have any experience with this?

The thing I am concerned about is that one can't really block with poi, so in a normal sword fight scene there's lots of clashing, but its seems like that wouldn't really work with poi. Any ideas?

Peace

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
...which is nothing to do with the thread, but interesting nonetheless wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Bender
Written by:

poi is as much a martial art as Macdonalds is a restaurant.

Non-Https Image Link

Being Maori, i would have to dispute that. But it would depend on your defnition of a martial art. (If you only count asian fighting styles as MA and not other native's)
Long Poi was not only used are a training weapon for chlidren and men but short poi is also connected to weapons. Just as a sword has a string with tastles. A mere has a string with a poi, birds wing or some other distraction.

Am i saying that a string is a M.A. Most defnetally not. But it is part of the weapon and is often used as such.

I wonder if you guys get Maori t.v on sky>? There have been some awsome performances from men with poi and mere on programs like "toi whakaari" etc. Some awsome form and movements.

U know, u can get some madman running round with a sword, does that make him a martial artist or the sword a martial art. What im saying is just cause someone has a mere, dos'nt mean they know what to do with it. But there are a rare few who could take you down with just the string. eek

Non-Https Image Link

Usually they have a poi/ birdswing attatched to the string. And sometimes the mere is swung instead of the poi.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
cool, i knew poi was a training device for warriors, but i didnt know it was actaully part of a weapon!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Firewuffmember
26 posts

Posted:
dude you ever hit your self in the head with a SOFT wick and that bloody hurts!!

try a rock or somthing harder.... hmmmm deadleness.

"The company of those that seek the truth is
always preferable to those who think they have
found it"

Terry Pratchet
Monsterous Regiment

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Written by: polarity

I've never heard of the Japanese using metal armour, too much of the fighting style is based on freedom of movement, for huge periods or Japanese history the hardest object a samurai had after his sword would most often be the wooden sandals on his feet.

Well... Respectfully I have to disagree.

Granted for long periods of time Samurai wore nothing but silk, leather and wood as armour, but they did wear metal armour for a sizable chunk of time.
Not full metal like the european knights, but they had cast iron breast plates and helmets, and also much metal worked into all the other armour plates that we are so familiar seeing when we see representations of Samurai. Many even had iron face masks, and throat protectors.
There came a point in Japanese warfare that *the* most effective weapon on the battle feild was something akin to a gigantic baseball bat that would litterally crush someone inside thier armour (a medievol tank of sorts), because of the trend in iron armour on the battle field.

Having spent many many years training in a Japanese martial art that is very much steeped in tradition, I had to (or rather, I should say "got" to) learn hundreds and hundreds of weapons techniques that were designed to get around the armour conundrum.

In the full armour of the later fuedal period there were litterally only about nine vulnerable points in the samurai's armour that you could effectively attack with a sword. Three of which (five in the advanced levels) became the basis of the sport of Kendo.

Iron, other than in weapons, was a huge part of the the later fuedal era of Japanese history. Most Samurai gave up mobility for protection, and limitation of bodily targets.

Jesus helps me trick people.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Dr4gon - Going on the definition that martial = "Of, relating to, or suggestive of war. " (The "art" part is pretty self-explantrory...) I would agree that it can be seen as a form of martial art, just as soft, internal tai-chi or chi-kung (or even caligraphy), whilst not weapons or actual combat moves are "martial" by their design.

I would however say that poi is not and I believe (although am happy to admit I'm wrong) has never been an actual weapon...
You mention one was attached to a mere (which I presume is a bladed weapon of some kind), however were poi ever used as the actual weapon? I know there are throwing weapons under many names which are more similair to meteors with a rock at each end to act as a snare, but actual poi?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i forgot to add to my post: "..but poi is great!"

i understand that it is not a martial art, but it is great.

saying things are necessary because i have a great respect for the traditions of poi (and of Maori culture in general)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I mean that the poi was made to emulate the fighting style of a mere. How else are you going to teach a child to fight without them getting hurt? You give them a soft weapon simila to the one they will be using when adults. Like how you train with a wodden sword, but you would use a real sword in war.

Ie kendo.

I understand caligraphy was related to sword play. Related being the opertive word. The relationship between the poi and mere is the string. Iv seen demonstration fights where the string was used to disarm the enemy.

Oh they were also set on fire and thrown into buildings to raze the village. And used to train you to evade/ deflect attack. "karo". https://history-nz.org/poi.html

Its such a vast field that you cant say poi are only one thing, one way. They were used in so many different ways. And you need to understand that my ancestors were living for war nearly everyday. Live it breath it eat/ sleep it.

Kind of a sad life when your kids games are made to make you grow up to be a killer frown

The point im was trying to make is they are joined to the weapon so they are the weapon, sure they wont kill you, but they would distract you for the split second it would take to...

Now that i have said to much, I have a Q:

Do any of you believe that Maori fighting styles (or any other native) are martial arts? I sense that alot of you think MA applies to JUST asian.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I dont think Poi should be considered a martial art, thats my two cents

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Dr4g0n7

Do any of you believe that Maori fighting styles (or any other native) are martial arts? I sense that alot of you think MA applies to JUST asian.

Some of us even train in other than Asian Martial Arts! smile

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Old school here : https://www.tu.co.nz/tumatauenga.htm

Taiaha/ staff here: https://www.tu.co.nz/taiaha.htm

Its not that i think its IS a martial art. Im not sure, its some where inbetween. Like the caligraphy thing. A way to teach a way. I do know that it helps train you if you perform it "properly".
EDITED_BY: Dr4g0n7 (1117591267)

Firewuffmember
26 posts

Posted:
Just for my two cents, was watching "Science of StarWars" of all things the other night and there was a REALLY dodgy analogy between the Shaolin monks and the Jedi... low and behold a monk doing a demo using two weighted ropes starting with straight cross, weave, and then behind the head into a turn.... Classic Pio moves/combo. Between the Maori and the Shaolin there are DEFINATLY poi martial arts styles. As to the fire twirling styles as martial arts it all comes down to application and knowing how.....

"The company of those that seek the truth is
always preferable to those who think they have
found it"

Terry Pratchet
Monsterous Regiment

Page: