Page:
SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone,

Not entirely sure where to put this, but I thought that i only do Staff, so this'll be where I put it...

Hitting myself I don't mind, because it's generally a one-off on somewhere like my shin, or arm or head. If it hurts too much, I stop spinning for a few minutes.

What REALLY annoys me is that my right hand begins to hurt after prolonged spinning. Not the joints or knuckles or anything, but the area between Thumb and Index finger. Just the "V" where the two digits meet.

Is this normal? Will it go away the more I spin? Do I just ignore it? Should I get a softer handle, or gloves? Anyone get the same thing? confused

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well I tried to cover my hand with something and here's a list of what I tried:

1. Leather Gloves. Too restrictive on the fingers. Ditto with other kinds of glove.
2. Old sock with 5 finger holes cut into it. Made the grip too slippy, and not enough cushioning between staff and hand.
3. Bandages. Made grip too slippy, and had a tendency to come undone. Maybe this will improve with practice.
4. Plastic bag wrapped round my fist. Noisy, Slippy and made me look like a right prat.

I think I'll go with the bandages for the moment, but I need to investigate some new grip as well. Slazenger sport grip looks good, so I need to get some of that because I'm currently using insulation tape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Invest some money in a ace bandage or a bandage specifically designed for wrist/hand sprains (I have ones without thumb protections since my main problems are with my wrists, though I have other all purpose ones if I hurt my thumbs), they're relatively cheap, can be used over and over again, and worth the investment.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

SirEggomember
37 posts

Posted:
you nees to work with a 6lb bar rather than wearing the muscles out you will be building them also it could be a sign of not enough calcium.

where there are ashes from those burnt by flame
the phoenix rises again and again.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
The problem has mostly gone away now, for anyone still interested.

I think that this is because I have a REAL firestaff, not a practice one I made myself. However, even this needed modifying before I felt comfortable with it.

I got the staff from Flamechild.com and barring the fortnight it took them to deliver it ( eek) it was pretty nice to get my first staff. However the grip was decidedly "economic" in its construction. Low quality Slazenger sports grip over the metal tubing. Hmmm. It was fixed to the tube by insulation tape at both ends, which didn't really shout "quality" to me. But I anticipate this staff getting bounced around a lot, so I didn't want to spend huge amounts of money on something which will probably have a short life.

So... stripped off the tape and the grip. Leaving the metal as bare as the day it was smelted. Got a clean blue Jay cloth (you know, the ones used for washing up) and fixed the long edge of it to the staff with insulation tape. Rolled the cloth around the staff until it ended, and taped down the loose edge. Proceeded to roll tape round it in layers (like you do with any other grip). THEN I put the slazenger grip back on and fixed it on with more tape.

Now it's a lot more comfortable, doesn't slip, doesn't get sweaty, and is quite absorbent for catches.

Oh, and my hand's stopped hurting biggrin

Page: