Forums > Technical Discussion > Cheap Glow Poi / Juggling Balls

Login/Join to Participate

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I have recently invested in a set of mood balls from Maplin's for only 15 quid. When put in tights they make really quite cool poi , they slowly change colour as they spin . . . and as they come in a set of three you can also juggle with them, they aren't weighted very well but they do the job. Whats more is they are rechargable and last for upto six hours.

There is a couple of Photos in my gallery
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4191

also here is a link to where to buy
https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44465&TabID=1&source=21&doy=19m5

Hope this helps some people

Laters Matt weavesmiley

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Ive seen these before and had a bit of a play in the shop, wasnt sure tho... glad you posted this as am now getting them this afternoon! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
As I said they are a bit funny to juggle as they are slightly weighted to one side but they seem to do the trick....

Hope you enjoy them ....
two of my house mates have them as well so we have nine in our house, though how cool would it be to have a whole ball pit made of them, very trippy peace

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
cool!! I've been looking to replace a broken glowball and am now thinking of trying my first 'sock-style' poi. (And I juggle, very slightly, so a 'two-fer' would be great.) Are the mood balls UV reactive? I've been eyeing the red/blue/purple sock poi here at HoP, but the description suggests they're not UV reactive.

ball pit....oooh yeah!!

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
I just tested the Rainbow sock poi set and the white sock poi set that we sell here under UV. They glow extremely well due to the white lycra sock poi fabric having a white/silvery shine to it.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/fire/216/poi/18
However the Blue and Purple that we sell dont react at all under the UV.
juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I got a set of the Maplin balls as a christmas present.

They are, in their original form, juggle-able- but the weight is drastically off due to the power/battery set-up being on one side of the ball.

Visually, they're excellent, better, IMO, than any of the non-aerotech budget electric juggling balls; so I was keen to find a good way to modify the weighting.

After various experiments involving putting slits in the side and trying stuff like silicone sealent, I realised that simple was best and came up with something that sounds like a bit of a 'botch', but which actually works really well.

Three ten-pence pieces, arranged in a triangle formation on the opposite side of the ball to the battery/charging unit, held on with strips of cellotape, will pretty much eliminate the weighting problem.

I should say, concerning durability, that Liam Tempest (who bought me the original set) has gone through a lot of these- he's found that if they're dropped and the battery/charging side hits, it pretty much wrecks them.

However, my original three are still fine; i suspect that this is because

a) I'm a good enough juggler that I don't drop much
b) possibly the fact that I've modified the weighting on mine, means that when they do drop, there's much less chance that the heavy battery/chargeing side will hit the ground first.

Lastly, at the moment, Maplin has a special offer on these balls- they've down to £15 for three (plus charging unit), and, in the Sheffield store, they also have single balls (with charger) for £5.

I believe (but not totally sure) that the offers on till 21 May.

IMO, these are the best looking balls available for this kind of price.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Dave, thanks very much for the review! very helpful for me, as droppage and smackage (in poi form) are significant aspects of my repertoire.....

kombi guy, thanks for the info. I'll look specifically at those.

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, you can get this style of ball from Au Naturale in britain, see [Old link] Near the bottom for describtion and further up for shop deatails. Hope that helps!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking of getting some of those spiky rubber led raver toys to use as poi and glow juggling balls, teted some out in the glow tunnel of one of my fave shops the other day and they're not s bright as I'd hoped but they still work ok for juggling. I hope you guys actually know what things I'm talking about, otherwise I sound even more confusing than usual. :P

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.