Forums > Help! > hit myself in face with 2poi!

Login/Join to Participate

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
tonight i was spinning an overhead btb butterfly, something startled me and i lost focus, the poi cam crashing down right into my face, my nose hurt abit at first as if it were just punched, and now im starting to feel some stinging, im guessing i just burned my face, this sucks... i have cream all over the potential burn zone, and some of my fro is a little singed frown this has not put me in a very poi happy mood, i continued the spin to the end tho, i took some breaks to tell people OUCH! MY F**KING NOSE!!! and some new viewers to poi, decided to make fun of me for it.... oh well

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
No biggie really. Hitting yourself happens, usually its not major. The most youll get from quick skin contact is possibly a 1st degree burn, should be totally fine in 24 hours. Its best, when you make a mistake to just go on with the show as if it didnt happen... Or if thats really not possible, make a joke out of it yourself so as to negate the hecklers.

While performing on stage at a club in NY one night, I hit myself right in the side of the head, singing my hair. I just kept spinning hoping no one noticed, and sure enough no one said anything afterwards... Though, I did singe quite a bit of hair, it wasnt that noticable and I was able to carry on with my life quite happily.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Dont worry about the new spinners taking the piss, they have many a time to hit their balls awaiting them smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
yea, its just not criket when other people take the piss, im sure all the guy spinners out there now that dreadful feeling when u tap ur sacks, u have those agonising seconds before the pain really kicks in. if its not a bad hit, always keep spinning tho, ive hit myself a few times and no one has noticed, not sure if they werent really watchin or wot, but i think the spinner is always more aware of a mistake than the watchers....specially if u tap the sack.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Pepermint oil is great for taking the sting out of burns smile.:*

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
If you've got a burn don't put on any cream on the area so that it can breathe. There's a HoP article titled: First Aid for Burns.

We all messup and burn ourselves occasionally and I reckon the best thing to do is learn from it (that fire hurts!), shrug it off and get back to enjoying yourself!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I'm by no means a medical professional, but I find Acreflex burns cream great for healing burns/preventing scarring. It's antiseptic and also works for stings and grazes too. I always make sure i've sufficiently cooled the area with water first, applying cream direct to a burn is worse than doing nothing at all.

I know there was a thread a while back about 'chicks dig scars', but personally i reckon that'd only really apply to scars with a story, not malcoordination with firepoi and an inibility to look after the wound properly

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
that's gotta hurt

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Ironicly something that's really great for healing burns is vinegar.

Not joking.

It has almost the same pH as healthy skin as well as natural antiseptic qualities. It is going to sting quite a bit the first time you put it on, just to warn you. But I've noticed that sunburns I've had healed much much faster using vinegar. I've actually found it works better than aloe.

And as Dom mentioned you don't want to put anything on it that will keep it from breathing. You should only try vinegar on first degree burns. If you have any blistering that occurs with the burn or charred skin go see a doctor immidiately.

That sucks about getting thumped though. I got distracted playing with some staff throws back in the day and looked up just intime to catch the lit wick (the staff was completely vertical) with my eye. I didn't have lashes or an eyebrow on my right side for months ooooops

Jesus helps me trick people.

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:

I'm yet to experience fire dancing but I've hit myself many-a-time with aerotechs and unlit fire poi - not good.

I did think about wearing a cup but it would on;y make my trousers look funny!

Ahh the joys of war wounds
shrug

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

slipping tonguenewbie
22 posts

Posted:
i find that it hurts more to hit myself with unlit poi than it dose hitting myself with lit ones. but iv hit myself quiet a bit. i was practicing about 4 weeks back and hit myself in the back of my head (with unlit poi) i had a huge lump on the back of my head for days, nice and painful. but my poi were hand made so they were a bit rough arround the egdes.

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
haha thanks for all the concern guys, it didnt scar that much, but its gone away now, my long hair got rid of people asking, what is that? Cause the scar i had was underneath where my hair falls. My nose hurt alot tho, i must have really smacked it hard. That hurt for a few days, and sneezing was a pain.

Im a little confused slipping how it hurts more when they arent lit? because the poi are alot heavier once they have been dipped into your fuel. A good way to practice is by dipping them into water. But i dont suggest this if you plan on spinning with fire, as u will need to let them dry before u use them for fire at their full potential.

smile

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spacecow00x

Im a little confused slipping how it hurts more when they arent lit? because the poi are alot heavier once they have been dipped into your fuel. A good way to practice is by dipping them into water. But i dont suggest this if you plan on spinning with fire, as u will need to let them dry before u use them for fire at their full potential.

smile

I've never noticed much of a diffirence in pain lit or unlit. But maybe it's a temperature thing. Like how smacking your hand against a door or something hurts way worse when it's cold. Who knows?

EDITED_BY: SickpuPpy (1118047397)

Jesus helps me trick people.

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
be thankfull it wasnt lower an u had ur mouth open ubblol

never ever EVER, poke me with that thing.

just my little joke. As always.