Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > how many poi moves are there?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
before you start shouting at me and saying i should have searched i did do a search and i couldnt find anything! but if there is a thread like this around please tell the mod to delete this one and pm me the url to it smile oh and who invented the word durbs ... i assume its not a real word

ok i was wondering while doing poi today at how many moves there are. i counted up how many i could do and i came up with about 20(missing out the very basics). i know theres a lot more that i cant do but has anyone actually compiled a list?

i know there are a lot of websites with gif's detailing different moves ive found them to only teach the basics or they dont have a great selection of alternative moves such as all the wraps possibly dreamt of or anything teaching glowstick techniques. (ive been watchin some of the glowsticking vids on hop and theyre all waaaaaay to fast to learn what to do)

well if this gets deleted then its been a wasted 5 minutes but if not then hurrah!
good day!

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
To "me"...there is only 1 move. Fig 8. Everything else is related to the fig8, depending on which plane you are on.

With the exception of hyperloops im pretty sure fig8 is the ultimate move. It can even be applied to wraps.

Because there are so many variations of actuall moves, there is no linit to how many moves there are (if your measuring actual moves).

My friend had the answer to this question and many more, here it is...

How long is a piece of string?

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
for one "how long is a piece of string?" is not an answer, its a question tongue

two my question is not at all equivelent to "how long is a piece of string?".
yes there are in theory infinite moves and each move is a variation of another trick like the 5 beat weave being a variation of the 3 beat weave. but they are named such that they are different. so there must be a limit to how many have been named and achieved.
its a bit like skateboarding. yes there are in theory an infinite amount of tricks, like the possibility to do a 1440 or a 1800 spin or a quadruple backflip, but noone is ever going to do one so there is no need to acknowledge it. each move is a variation on previous ones but they are all defined and named.
i was going to ask people to post all the moves they know with descriptions but that would take people a looooong time and would maybe piss off the mods. so that is why i ask if anyone has already done a list
smile

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
There is an infinite amount of moves....people will always be making up new moves so it could never actually be calculated how many moves can be done with poi.

If you asked something like "how many moves can you do with poi?" people would have a better chance of being able to answer that question than the one you have placed before us.

It is my belief there is no answer because not all the moves have been discovered yet.

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
ok fair enough i think i asked the wrong question but do you reckon i should go about asking people how many moves they know? all i was wanting was a list of poi moves so i can see what else there is to do
smile

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Oh well that is different then.....have you looked at the online lessons? There are quite a few moves listed on there....

If you go to the free lessons on the menu bar then choose poi lessons you will see a list of the ones that they have to learn on this website.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Glass compiled a list of move families, 30+ if i remember correctly... anything more than that and you'd really be wasting your time.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Heres a link to Glass' thread:
[Old link]

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah even with just basic categories there's tons. Have a look here for a list of concepts and moves and stuff, and that's not complete at all. And pretty much everything can be done in multitudes of different ways and places, and combined with tons of other things.

https://www.spherculism.com/wiki/index.php?title=Index

"Moo," said the happy cow.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yep.
i have a list, compiled approximately a year ago, which runs to about 900.

a lot of those are variations, so it looks like repetition, but i know that it isnt wink

i DO plan to update it and post some time soon(i.e after the summer, when i'll have learnt a hell of a lot more.

honest ubbangel

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
hey both of those links are what i was looking for. thanks!
it would have been nice on the spherculism site if they had vids or gifs to go along with it as well but then again im probably asking too much smile
bluecat ... post it!!!!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
it's on paper, very rough, and exceptionally out of date: been playing a LOT since then.

also am away from the office for most of the next three months, so i't'll be a case of when i can... sorry...

R

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
And Durbs is a person... talented spinny/CJ type.

Getting to the other side smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: bing!

hey both of those links are what i was looking for. thanks!
it would have been nice on the spherculism site if they had vids or gifs to go along with it as well but then again im probably asking too much smile
bluecat ... post it!!!!

If you sign up on there and go to the video gallery section there's clips of a fair bit of the stuff smile

The plan is to have a clip for everything in that index all nicely linked and with tips and tutorials and stuff... it'll come in time!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

"Its infinite you know" Sage

love nad light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"but noone is ever going to do one so there is no need to acknowledge it."

ubblol

Anti spin hadnt been invented two years ago. tongue
Or hyperloops.
Or airwraps.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
In answer to your other (more important) question..
Do a Durbs comes from me smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
More Important? ubblol - you wish wink

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unfortunatly Can Obtain Fruit

Anti spin hadnt been invented two years ago. tongue
Or hyperloops.
Or airwraps.

And there's apparently that cockscrew that OXTO is workin' on. But I'll let you guys iron out the specifics of that one. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
And wait... why when I say "moves" do the jedi jump and yell about there being no moves.

And all I gotta do is snort enough Nutella, drill a hole in the front of my head, let the music guide my soul and the poi will move by themselves.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
( ubblol at your earlier post.. I now know what you mean wink )

no...

there are no moves.

only exercises to help you learn to control/ use the poi there are.

only then use them in whatever way you want to you can.

smile

but I aint no Jedi. or a padawan.

Im an Autobot!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
anti spin wasnt invented, its allways been there... hiding... wink
as for moves, where dose a move end, where dose a move begin? everytime i spin, i spin some moves ive never spun before. what i call a move you may call, a mash up of 4 different moves, but its still a move. theres lots hehe umm

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
I guess this is the thenth thread I've seen the "is there moves"?-discussion. therefore i have to ask. couldn't you say that every routine is a single move? othervise you won't cover all combinations and transitions? ubbidea

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

And wait... why when I say "moves" do the jedi jump and yell about there being no moves.

you see any jedi here? apart from ucof?

there are always moves. and mystic people who you ARE allowed to ignore wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i anit no jedi.
Im an autobot. tongue

"mystic people"
wink ubblol

Written by: Oli

anti spin wasnt invented

Riiiiight... next you will be telling me Sir Isacc Newton didn't invent gravity....

rolleyes

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Miracles can happen smile

POI THEO(R)IST

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

it's on paper, very rough, and exceptionally out of date: been playing a LOT since then.

with the rate you learn stuff at, its out of date as soon as you write it!

you've been threatening to post one of these pretty much ever since i've known you! tongue hug

anyway, moves?

there is forwards and there is backwards.

i can't do backwards yet.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
bugger. And all along I've been trying to go sideways. ubbangel

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
going round in circles has always been good for me.

--ben

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Written by:

it would have been nice on the spherculism site if they had vids or gifs to go along with it as well but then again im probably asking too much

lol: that's what the sites all about, there are currently over 200 video clips showing maybe 150 different moves. It took all my spare time for over 3 months to compile the vids, it's a year out of date but still totally badass. Granted we haven't had time to interlink the wiki and videos but funnily enough that's one of the next things on the list.

And if that isn;t enough for you then the next incarnation is on it's way.

As for the number of moves it just depends how you separate moves from one another. eg is a 3 beat weave a 3 beat weave or is it a combination of a pair of 2 beat weaves. Or if i turn from a forwards 3 beat weave to a backwards 3 beat weave, is that a move or is that jsut a turn between 2 moves?

m

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
i didnt mean to offend, i havet really had chance to explore the site totally but i will make a start in about 5 minutes, definately beats revising for my exam tomorrow smile
but i do agree that its pretty hard to define when a move is a move and when its just say a transition between different moves. when i spin im thinking "3beat, 5 beat, backwards 5 beat, windmill etc etc" so these are all clearly defined moves and i dont really think about the transitions between them being a move as such.
but i suppose when you really start thinking about it anything you do could be a move
rite ... time to check this site sir

Page: