Forums > Social Discussion > What makes a fire meet a good meet

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Good Morningeveningafternoon smile

Well... I have been on this board for almost 4 years, traveled around the world to many different meets ranging from 2 people to a few hundred... I have amazing memories of Paris, Clapham, Houston, Koh chang, Bangkok, Guatemala and other places which still dance in my heart, but i also had my share of bad experiences, smoetimes even in the same places wink

What got me thinking is that , after not having touched a poi in months and months and months, llast sunday i went to the sunday meet in Melbourne. The people were really friendly not just to me who knew a few people, but also to some random people passing by. How absolutely lovely it was...

Do nice gatherings tend to lost their soul after a while and if so why ? how? If not or even if so... what can one do to prolongue the friendliness and magic?

Things I found participate to a nice atmosphere in a gathering :
- someone "in charge" coming up to newcomers/passers by to welcome them, explain the possible rules, do a few introductions
- Food shared
- Themed gatherings (Moon Pixie, YOU ROCK) ubblove
- Safety applied, responsibilty shared, issues gently but firmly explained to newbies or stubborn people
- Sharing of skills with unlit toys (day time or even night time, but just sharing of skills)
-music, drums...
-bonfires
-blankets to sit on and share
-nutella wink

Things I found were inducing poorer atmosphere:
- NOONE welcoming new people
- clickey groups who ignore others (and mind you I DO realize that sometimes we are just having a blast with friends we only see rarely and it may be intimidating to others, and that is ok, it is just about remembering what it was like to be new and keeping it in mind and sometimes looking around to see if maybe we can share a smile with a stranger who seems a bit lost or shy...)
- alcohol in general
- substance abuse combined with use of fire
- no respect of others toys, safety, space
- competitive attitudes
- vegemite wink

Thi is really not me being an old fart singing the song of "those were the times", this is truely a quest for the receipy/receipies for a warm gathering... perhaps it will give people ideas, or even make some people realize that their gathering could get some warmth and love input to renew the dynamics.

How intimidating are those gatherings... how amazing and inspiring they can be too... so why not discuss it and then possibly try to apply it

idea? feedback? anyone?

Shine on
Cass

hug

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:
Cor, after reading these replies, I don't know if I'm comforted in the knowledge that I'll be welcomed or put off by the expectations and pressure.

I tell you one thing for nothing, it's going to either be really good, or really censored for me ubbloco

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
no no no dont think that hug youll have the best time and meet some great people biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

4,224 posts

Posted:
hmmmm very intersting thanks so much for all the input smile
perhaps moon pixie can tell us a bit more about moon fest and anyone else about their meet, the little "somethings" they do smile

Pink i find has a valid point about coming alone or in small groups, even I who love to go up and talk to strangers to welcome them would refrain sometimes if the group is big by fear of interupting... (unles i was armed with my ccrepes wink )

NYC, the clapping "thing".... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh... I understand those who do not like it, being too "preformance oriented etc..." personnaly i like it as a "thank YOU" gesture regardless of the talent, fire is beautiful to watch, i gladly clap smile and then if i want to thank some more or even tell someone about their inspring spinning i will go and talk to them in private smile But again, i understand people who are agains it...
that being said i have been to meets where there was not only no clapping but people were really ignoring eachother and I did not like that either... you know ?
In a way if i did not want people to see me, i would (and Do... or did wink ) spin alone... being around others I am happy if anyone enjoys watching me... not jsut for the ego stroking but also because i am so happy to be inspired by others i like to be able to give some back...

do i make sense ????

and about the alcohol... well... all things in moderation I understand but there are a few issues... the lack of reflex control is a massive one (and I am not talking a few beers, but more a constant flow of alcohol) BUT what i also have in mind is glass bottles... I am a barefoot spinner and have cut myself a few times because of bottles left unattended or smashed...
and ... also... there are kids around at some gatherings and it is not always the best exemple set ....I respect everyone s taste , especially if they are not forcing anyone to follow them, but I like parties that advertise and drug and alcohol free.
I do not want to turn this into a drug versus alcohol versus none debate, but i also found that somehow alcohol of all substances created the most aggressive atmosphere (it is what was mainly consumed in Paris meets near jussieu and boy were those old meets ugly... ask Nomad or Raphael 96 if they are still around...)

I was wondering how a welcome sign would be... just an idea but you know something to be planted in the grass/sand that says
"hello we are a group of jugglers and spinners playing and enjoying ourselves safely every bla bla at bla bla... join us, sit and watch share smiles etc..."

what do you think ???
is that my corporate background as a PR playing tricks or is that a good idea...

OH and one thing i would like to add to all those woried about new meets, new peopel... one thing my dear friend Charles told me once (ar eyou still around on Hop Charles?) : do not waste too much time wondering what others think of you, they are too buisy wondering what u think of them wink

Shine on
Cass

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thats all very true.

another thing that adds to the atmosphere: big cheesy grins while u twirl (looks in cass's direction)

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

4,224 posts

Posted:
redface biggrin

I cannot help it man... as much as I claim i no longer am a real spinner when i grab thoses little beasts and lose myself in the music, my heart flies biggrin
(happy we shaerd smiles but sorry we did not meet properly Pete, hopefully next time smile )

shine on
cass

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
pity you never came to our meets in adelaide Cass - it sounds like you would have loved them smile we have everything you listed, and more smile

Although now they are so big its getting a little bit spectatorial...but thats only usually for an hour or so around 10pm...the rest of the night its just do you own thing...

smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
damn u HoPpers why cant u be more over newcastle way!
Is there any sort of yearly meeting? if not there should be, lets all just turn up at rainbow serpent each yr biggrin

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
hmmmm...
how to say this... (with words... dunce!)

depending on the type of meet (or anything like one)... I actually prefer to be left alone! Even the people i dance with regularly know that i'm pretty much zonned out when i'm in the dancing vibe!

obviously, being anti-social is just rude! So i tend to hold back until people have mingled and i've had a chance to say howzit to people i know, as well as anyone i don't! Then, after 1 or 2 people have started dancing, i light up... or i just warm up with a set of sandbags and it attracts the people who would otherwise disturb you while dancing!

After i've finnished (and inbetween) i'm so zonned from putting all the energy i can muster into dancing, that i really do not want to discuss anything, i normally sit in the background and listen, answer questions with as few words as possible. Perhaps this is a "bad" space?

inspired by fyre
The fyre draws me in
distant activity around me
and distant voices fade to blur

i drift into my own space
a space created by the fyre

i'm dancing
fire wizzing around my ears!
that sound...
that energy...
that space...

MY fyre...
hypnotise me into trance
dance with me
as i dance with you
dance together... as one
you lead me
i lead you

together we dance
inspired by each other!

As for drumming... I do not really enjoy it to much, for most of the reasons already mentioned... I have only ever really ONCE found a really good energy in a drumming circle... and that was @ splashy fen this year (there were between 50 and 100 drummers and 90% of them where in time with good beats and what a fantastic energy)!

I agree with fluffy napalm fairy... please dont 'gawk' at me, and really you dont need to applaud... if you really want to know... i'm doing this for me! because i enjoy it! and yes i'm a selfish bstrd :P !

for anyone wondering about meeting people... when you get there (where ever there may be) and you look around and there are all these people and it's really daunting, with them all doing there things! grab a set of non-fyre poi and warm up! garrunteed someone will walk up to you and ask you questions!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Shu I do not know you and am always cautious online to not come upset others with silly misunderstandings... so please see no cynicism in my question smile, I am genuinely curious:

given all that you have said, why do you go to fire meets ? why not do it on your own in the peace of your own time and space ? I really love the feeling of doing it alone and dancing to myself and in those times i feel not very inclined to social interaction, but it puzzles me why you would immerse yourself in a gathering with others if you do nto want to interact, do not really want people ot look at you, or yourself to look at others ? smile

SHine on
cass

4,224 posts

Posted:
WAIT A MINUTE...
Pyrolific... ubbidea is that you Josh, matey... member number and email address quite familiar...

if it is you... much ubblove and many hug

shine on
cass

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
cass, can we expect u at another sunday soon, or are u leaving nostralia (to use mr fraggles word) in the nearish future.

big smiles, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I think the secret to a good meet is to have a big enough group that you can still be meeting new people on the last day, but not so big that you don't meet everyone. That, after all, is what a "Meet" is all about.

The Falmouth weekenders have been successful (I think) because nobody brings too many expectations with them. They just come to have fun. I worry what will happen as they inevitably grow and grow.

What Fluff said about welcoming people. That's the trick, right there.

love to all

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cassandra

and about the alcohol... well... all things in moderation I understand but there are a few issues... the lack of reflex control is a massive one (and I am not talking a few beers, but more a constant flow of alcohol) BUT what i also have in mind is glass bottles... I am a barefoot spinner and have cut myself a few times because of bottles left unattended or smashed...

I think a lot of this can be avoided by education of the masses. Around here, we have accepted the BM mentality of leave no trace. Basically, this means that if you see an empty bottle (or other piece of trash) laying around, you pick it up and throw it away. We don't have empty bottles laying around to get broken or for people to step on. Now, for bottles with something in them, if the liquid has become warm, we empty and throw those out as well. I don't attend parties these days where empty bottles or trash are really a problem because of this. People look after themselves and clean up. But, it does take a bit of education on the part of newbies. However, once they realize this and see how advantageous it really is, they are very happy to accept it and keep it as their mantra.

Also, if we are having a fire gathering on the beach down here, glass bottles of any sort are strictly forbidden. This is because it is against the law at the beaches we spin at and also for the safety of our feet since several of us walk around barefoot there. If, however, we are meeting at one of our other locations, while I may spin barefoot, I do not go wandering around barefoot. This is just because one place is someone's backyard that is filled with little twigs and other nasties to hurt your feet on. The second location is a public bar which has a patio area that is covered in little pebbles which are not appealing on barefeet either.

Have you tried having a dedicated spinning area which is at least 10 feet from the social area? We've found that this helps eliminate obsticles while spinning that could cause one to fall, trip, or hurt themselves.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:

Shu I do not know you and am always cautious online to not come upset others with silly misunderstandings... so please see no cynicism in my question smile, I am genuinely curious:

ubblol tact is highly overrated, and i seldom take offence to anything! :P so fire away as much as you like! smile

given all that you have said, why do you go to fire meets ? why not do it on your own in the peace of your own time and space ? I really love the feeling of doing it alone and dancing to myself and in those times i feel not very inclined to social interaction

you're not far from understanding cass... i dance for myself all the time, and for my friends, and sometimes their friends! none of them gawk at me... and give that vibe of wtf!

but it puzzles me why you would immerse yourself in a gathering with others if you do not want to interact, do not really want people to look at you, or yourself to look at others ? smile

I have some friends who always invite me to things like this, i often turn them down! however it'd be selfish to expect them to hang out with me on my terms all the time! also, i enjoy the fact that people enjoy watching, and if i can give sum1 some pleasure, then it's an added bonus... however i do NOT appreciate it when there is someone gawking, staring so hard at u that you can feel their gaze burning holes in you! it gives me the creeps! I can feel the underlying emotion, and i often don't like it! It's blatantly rude to stare!

due to the way i was brought up and the places i have lived, i am very concious about personal space. When we dance (it prolly happens to you too) that "space" tends to increase. It's frustrating having uninvited people intruding on that space, something that so often happens, and i frequently have to move away!

obviously if space is limited then i have to bare with it, or take a gap when not many are dancing, or just leave every1 else to have their fun, cos i know i can have mine without my ego!

i might be a friendly person, and hey it a good thing to be friendly, however i am certainly NOT a people person! i tend to avoid crowds. At festivals i tend to stick around my campsite. the social factor is still there, but i keep it on my terms. When Ice-E FyreStorm perform together, it's generally NOT me who deals with the spectators!

I am cursed with a sensitivity to emotional energy! I do not like being around to many people for to long! To many issues floating around... space and energy effects the human spirit more than we'd like to admit!

sorted?

hug

Regards hug

Shu

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: spritie

... this means that if you see an empty bottle (or other piece of trash) laying around, you ...
... People look after themselves and clean up.

please can i come live where u live! there is a serious lack of consideration and respect around these parts!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Certainly!

But, like I said, you have to teach people to do what we do. I've been to a festival down in Cape Town (I can't remember if you are down there or closer to Jo'berg) and the feel was certainly different. But, I do think if you educate the festival go-ers (and have people handing out trash bags at first), a change can be made.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm.

Firstly, yes - bad drumming circles really irritate me. But then I'm a drummer, so un-rhythmic drumming REALLY grates against me smile

I definitely agree that it's good to go to new meets on your own - I went to Spitz, the Arches, the Viaduct, Brixton all on my own (although admittedly I'd gotten to know a few faces by the third one) - but it really does make you go out and talk to new people. Turning up with a friend tends to mean you both sit around watching others but not approaching.

I vaguely run the Guildford meetings (well, not Thursdays other than sending reminding text messages - I suppose I do organise Sundays) and try to be welcoming, helpful etc etc. Trouble is, I'm actually pretty shy with new people and I'm a rubbish conversationist. I really do have trouble speaking to new people for more than 2 minutes without ending in a sort "Ho hum, what shall we talk about now" silence. I think at one stage, Guildford did become quite cliquey, not sure why or how, but I think it did. Maybe because over the winter/quieter weeks it was just the "hardcore" few who came along who are all really good friends, so when a new person comes along, they're confronted with a group of people who obviously know each other really well...
I think with this season' "new batch" of people though we've all opened up more, and I'm slowly getting the hang of this "socialising" thing I've heard so much about smile

What makes a good spin meet?
The people smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

The people smile

I agree, and think that's honestly the best way to put it.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

The first clapham meet i went to, i got a great welcome.... it made me feel good, and i enjoyed myself from then on

ubblol

name badges are great and i think are a must. also agreed with the greeter idea, but if i am there i just automaticaly smile at people and say hi. the odd jump on, but mainly hugs.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

The people smile

I'd argue that that's too vague.

Because that's EXACTLY the same thing that makes a bad meet. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ok, fair point

But if you went to a "bad" meet, and took those people to arrange another gathering - it'd still be a bad meet smile

Ok, a better answer now I'm not at work smile

The best meets I have been too generally include:
~ Friendly, open, helpful people
~ Warm weather / Inside locations
~ Music of some form (excluding bad drummers) wink
~ Variety of levels of spinning (and people willing to teach all levels)

I don't think the number of people, food or any other outside factors really come in to it. The "sharing of food" is really just an indicator of the open-ness of the people there.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

The people smile

I'd argue that that's too vague.

Because that's EXACTLY the same thing that makes a bad meet. wink

Yes, but since you are responsible for your own experience, I think you can help turn a bad meet into a good one. If you see something you don't like, then attempt to change it. It only takes one person to get something going, and hey, maybe someone else feels the same way you do and will join in to help you.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think that it's good if there aren't too many people there, so you can have conversations that include anyone who isn't currently spinning.

About cliques etc. I think that if everyone there does Juggling, Poi, Staff or anything else then it means that we're all just as crazy as each other. Thus it's really easy to talk as we all have something in common.

Having said that, all the people I've met have been wonderful. I was really scared that everyone would be like "What a noob with his homemade staff and 2 months of experience etc..."

Instead, everyone was like "Wow, you do staff! Staff rocks! Do you know this move?" So thx to everyone who has ever walked up to a beginner like me and said "Hi"

It makes such a difference if someone notices you and takes the time to find out your name and something about you.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

by fluffy
there is no pressure to 'perform' which I often found at some Australian 'fire' meets

Let me guess burleigh right? redface

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Fluffy and Chicken,

What is meant by pressure to 'perform'?

Only one person spinning at a time? Someone marking you? being expected to only do fancy stuff or people boo? Seriously, I don't understand... (particularly in the context of eg Burleigh where there's loads of * tries to find a term that isn't tourists* observers who never perform....)

I think a good meet combines people of all skill levels: those who are technically good (for inspiration) middle level and beginner people so newbies don't feel intimidated, and EVERYONE willing to share and skill up others...

Drumming... hmm, as a drummer I am generally very nervous of more than a few drums playing at a time... it gets bam bam very quickly.. especially when djembes are involved.. few people imho make a decent sound on them and they drown out other things. Lots of people seem to think loud drum= good drum ( similar to fast spin = good spin but more intrusive!!) Our local meet has recently become very noisy, so much so I couldn't hear the crucial bit of my last juggling lesson ( that's my excuse for why I'm c*r*a*p anyway wink.

As my (middle eastern) drum teacher once said:"if you can't hear the violin you are playing too loud" wink

My tactic to help that is to bring/play a cowbell or claves (cuban clapsticks) that cut through and help define a rhythm.

Sometimes our local meet is very skill/work/active.. sometimes more social /chatt/cuppa tea (we are indoors so if inspired can bring a kettle) I think the commitment of people who come pretty much weekly is part of what makes it so great. Yet it being great is what inspires people to come! So it's hard to get a 'magic formula' to make it work.

If you have something that is a good seed though, I think the thing is to treasure it and support it..

ps our local most regular meet is no-fire, and includes lots of juggling/hacky sack etc which is immediately more accessible I think.. lots of people wander through and feel very free to ask to play..... even if they can't juggle they can hack...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

Hey Fluffy and Chicken,
What is meant by pressure to 'perform'?
Only one person spinning at a time? Someone marking you? being expected to only do fancy stuff or people boo? Seriously, I don't understand... (particularly in the context of eg Burleigh where there's loads of * tries to find a term that isn't tourists* observers who never perform....)

A lot of the time at burleigh only the *really good spinners* would get a clap after they spun, and a lot of the public would slag other spinners (audiably) because they were not as good as the previous spinners...Plus the crowds were quite huge towards the end and it was quite daunting. The happy fluffy vibe was only very rarely there.

Plus your right about only one spinner at a time, that did happen occaisonally, but the difference when that happened was that the crowd clapped afetr EVERY spinner which was lovely. The fancy stuff was a huge expectation of the public.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Chicken, you're speaking in the past tense here... has Burleigh actually finished now?

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:

Sometimes our local meet is very skill/work/active.. sometimes more social /chatt/cuppa tea (we are indoors so if inspired can bring a kettle) I think the commitment of people who come pretty much weekly is part of what makes it so great. Yet it being great is what inspires people to come! So it's hard to get a 'magic formula' to make it work.

If you have something that is a good seed though, I think the thing is to treasure it and support it..

ps our local most regular meet is no-fire, and includes lots of juggling/hacky sack etc which is immediately more accessible I think.. lots of people wander through and feel very free to ask to play..... even if they can't juggle they can hack...

We have a similar meet... every tuesday, but we've restricted it to INVITE ONLY! To many lurkers wanting to smoke weed and arb around! Distracting!

But we discus things, we make things, we try things out, we show each other things... We also tend to keep it non-fyre!

Regards hug

Shu

Yes, i do bite!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:

Chicken, you're speaking in the past tense here... has Burleigh actually finished now?

well from the news reports I saw on the telly it was my understanding that it was shut down, but I havent been down there since then so it may be still up and running. *shrugs*

I dunno, I have given up on that meet. After living in Palm Beach and attending for two years it was only getting more and more dangerous despite my best efforts to introduce safety. Plus people fire breathing in my face (purposely) when I ask them nicely to be careful I think I just had to walk away.
frown

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Right, yeah, I see. I'm not that surprised. I only went a couple of times but I was appalled at the disregard for safety (I wrote about it in another post here) .and that was at a competition that someone had organised... so heaven knows what it must have been like an 'open slather' nights.

Cheers mate see you Tuesday

Page: