Forums > Social Discussion > just the local news’ yah right. ... help

Login/Join to Participate

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Poi portrayal in the media

Hi everyone wavehello

I've been busy but just had to pop in here and ask you for a tidbit of help maybe

They invited me to do a segment for the local morning show here, and on one patty, it’s silly to imagine me and my peers as segments and soundbites in pseudo-news T.V. land standing in front of a camera with thousands of people on the other side of a screen staring back at a representation of me. But on the other patty, it’s a rare chance to help consciously steer the media’s portrayal of poi and fire arts. So, stoke my fire and tell me the most important things you’d want to tell the world about poi?

eek the world!

grouphug

I AM working.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Talk about it as an artform. Talk about the history and origins of poi and it's continual development. Talk about the community and the chance to meet so many people.
Make it clear that we're not stoner layabouts and that we actually have something interesting to say.

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
All the its good for circulation, balance etc stuff. Links with tai chi and yoga

and

ITS FUN! biggrin

anyone can take it up, show different levels of skill so people don't think its too easy

and make sure you include fire saftey stuff! (you don't want to ge sued!)_

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
thanks for the ideas! I'm sure in the moment that it will flow on out just as it should, I was just nervous... which is good... I just want to honor the artform in a way that would make HOP proud. Heh, I guess as long as I don't say that I plan to take over the world with poi franchises as I become rediculously rich and skinny then I'll be ok! ubblol

I AM working.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Have fun, am sure you'll do us all proud biggrin

(and well done, btw)

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
thanks firepoise! smile

sooo it's over with... whew. At the last possible second moments before going on, they came and said we couldn't use fire poi! mad The reason is that there was a fire troupe there before who did fire breathing in the studio and sprayed fuel EVERYWHERE, all over the place. A big mess. And with the hot lights, somewhat hazardous. Ok I understand and we tried to explain that we don't do fire breathing, but there was no time to debate. Arg! angry They had soo many opportunities to tell me this before the last second.

Oh well no time to moan, just time for the MAD SCRAMBLE! Lucky us, we were prepared with Neon Husky streetlights and flags on hand. and sock poi toe.

Plan B in effect. Yay!

clap

I think the interview part went well too, short and sweet and to the point.

Airs on Channel 3 in Phoenix May 20th 2005 at 9am.

weavesmiley

I AM working.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well done... congrats for being organised biggrin