JLGrandAMmember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey all, Im new to this and i started about 2 weeks ago swinging glowsticks in clubs. So basically i use shoestrings tied to the end of glowsticks (hey i just started!). I can already do many moves but the problem is i have about 8 blisters all over my fingers from this! I just wrap the shoestring around my palm about 4 times and then hold the string between my thumb and my forefinger. I have many blisters on my forefingers from the strings twirling around them. I tried holding in different ways but i found this to be too difficult as i learned holding them this way. Any suggestions short of wearing a pair of gloves in the club?Thanks and keep up the great work on this site, it is what taught me what i know!

Chicks at Clubs - If i give you my phone number, will you teach me how to do that?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
You could get or make a proper sort of grip. Most types loop around 2 fingers. The wider the loops, the more broadly the force is distributed, and the less abrasion you get in any one spot. Also, the material you use makes a difference--I use deerskin, which is the softest leather I've found. Someone else has suggested synthetic chamois, found in car-parts stores (used for washing cars).I've got a page describing my design for finger nooses at:https://www.crossroads.net/a/writing/firemaking.html

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
using materials found around the house, what is the best thing to make handles out of? I also use shoelaces but am looking for something a little better to use as handles and as strings. Anything better i could use without having to buy anything?

JLGrandAMmember
2 posts

Posted:
someone told me to buy some cheap markders and hollow them out and then use them as handles. But i dont see how i can use handles, it seems like i would have to relearn everything. Do you get blisters using shoestrings too?

Chicks at Clubs - If i give you my phone number, will you teach me how to do that?

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hi,I use suede. It's soft enough to not give blisters. Although by the time I started using suede I had already used what I think was vinyl (ouch) for about 2 weeks prior. So I had already calloused up some areas of my fingers.Suede can be bought from recycle-type stores (warehouses that have the offcuts to just about anything you could want.) For dirt cheap (100 handles'd cost you a couple of dollars) compared to fancy deerskin. They can get harder and more dried out when you get them drenched in kerosene. But they still haven't given me blisters - and if they bother me I have so much spare suede I can replace em =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
oh yeah and you don't even need to make it into handles you could just cut it into the shape of a shoestrings.(distracted)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I also use leather...deer hide...very nice.If that is against your belief/availability someone (can't remember who) suggested spray a bit of deodorant on your hands. As an ex gymnast I can also tell you chalk dust will do the same trick..makes them a bit slick. As long as you aren't lighting up you could use talcum powder (baby powder) with the same effect. Rub it over your fingers before you start. I have also tried wrapping my fingers in sports tape (before I got the leather) and while it cut down on the blisters a bit it made my handles sticky.Good luck and happy healing till the callouses take hold!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Search the rest of the board cause there have been several posts about this problem.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
because i'm vegetarian, i dont really like the idea of leather. frowni use 'webbing' material similar to that used on climbing harnesses or rucksack straps. It's really strong, easily sewn into two loop handles, provides loads of support, and, its free if ya cut up an old ruck sack(as i did).

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Hey JLGrandAM !!First of all welcome to the Board, you will love it here. I Promise grin I throw stringsas well with sticks in clubs/raves. thats where i started. I use the round laces from Walmart 54". They have only given me Blisters once, and that was me spinning short strings un-godly fast. I hold the strings the same way you discribed.First, make sure you are holding the strings tight between your thumb and index finger, if you dont they tend to rub more, plus youll end up with your strings changing length on you. i think thats your main prob. But now after those blisters go away, youll have caluses, youll never get a blistyer agianI have used soccer tape, to put around my index fingers and this worked well. I have made loops in one set of my strings, which makes it easier. You just have to cut them back, and tie them, making sure they are the same length. This works well. But with the strings that way you will hold them, and spin them like traditional POI. looped around two fingers, and using your wrists a little more. Look in the POI lesson section, and find a close up picture of a hand movement, youll see what i mean. but it will take a few days to get use to spinning them that way, because it changes the path of the strings a little compared to pinching the strings between your thumb and index finger.BUT, i did find some smooth Nylon thread, that works well. it doesnt cut into your fingers, and it spins fast as hell so be careful. Its hard to spin outside when the wind is blowing because it is lighter than the laces.Hope this helps...Email me if you have any Q's...Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
use leather straps or use what i use (it helps!!! =====0000000000-----------------X glowstick ====40 cm of 3mm climbing rope ------9" of 7mm link chain 0000leather strap X

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
I use Mason Twine [woven synthetic line] which you can get at Lowe's for about $3 for few hundred feet. The first time you use the stuff it'll really mess your hands up, but i'm so used to it now [good thing or bad thing?] so it doesn't bother me at all.------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Look here, these were the discussions we had a while ago.https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000308.htmlhttps://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000311.htmlpeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe: