Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4554035.stm

i'm not exactly a fan of Kylie but its still sad to hear. frown

I was thinking, is this going to be a good thing for the cancer charities?? There is going to be even more publicity for them now. Hopefully it will mean that more money will get to where it is needed so that more people can be helped.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sounds like they've caught it early, so hopefully there's a good chance she'll be fine. Obviously this is a horrible thing for anyone, and her family as well. My thoughts are with her and them.

She's always been a big supporter of breast cancer awareness, apparently. So I guess she'll be an even bigger supporter after this.

Get well soon Kylie. I was looking forward to seeing her at Glastonbury, even though I'm not a fan at all. Would have been an interesting night.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I heard the news on Yahoo. Terrible news. Not just because she's a celebrity, but because it must be an awful thing for anyone to go through. Wishing her all the best. hug

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
This may sound bad, and of course I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but perhaps Kylie's high profile will inspire others to check themselves.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Lets hope it does. Breast cancer as with all cancers are easier to treat if they are caught early enough.

The most common way that a potential problem is detected is when physical changes are noticed in the breasts.

Regular breast screening may also highlight changes in the breast.

The key is for the woman to know what "normal" is - then changes can be noticed.

Examples of the kind of things to look out for include:

a change in outline, shape or size of the breast

puckering or dimpling of the skin

any lump or thickening in the breast or armpit

any flaking skin or discharge from the nipple

unusual pain or discomfort

Any changes should be reported to a doctor - although most will turn out not to be cancerous.

https://www.breastcancer.org/dia_detec_exam_idx.html

has lots of really great info

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
hmm, I heard about this on Radio 2 (stop sniggering at the back - its on at work, I can't help it) and they did a piece about breast cancer awareness and such, then proceeded to play "I should be so lucky" by Kylie!!

You'd think the presenter/producer/legal adviser/cleaner might have thought this was a bit tactless!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I like Radio 2.. Jonnie Walker's a legend! biggrin

Although that is incredibly tactless of them frown

Thoreau

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i like kylie, kylie is a legend. i like her songs - in my opinion its excellent pop music. smile its sad to here shes got cancer, its sad to here about any cancer, i wish all the best to anyone with cancer.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
While I actually really do HATE Kylie's music (no offence to anyone who does, everyone can choose what they like to listen to) I would definately not wish Cancer on anyone at all. It's the one disease (behind AIDS) that I would NEVER wish for anyone to experience, whether they're really evil or not (not that Kylie is evil of course). My aunt had cancer, and I'm sure there's lots of people out there with their own stories, so I won't be the only one who says:

Get Well Soon!!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
hug to kylie

i check myself every time i am in the shower.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
*giggles*
No comment, gothfrogette tongue

Poor kylie... what a miserable thing to go through.. grouphug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Lilunemember
27 posts

Posted:
lost a special person to cancer.
hugs to Kylie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
While we're on it, while everyone harps on about how women should be doing breast self exams, NOBODY HAS MENTIONED THAT MEN SHOULD BE DOING TESTICULAR SELF EXAMS.

Let's think about this, gentlemen:
The average breast cancer patient is in her 50's-60's
The peak ages for development of testicular cancer are 15-30.

How many men here are between 15 and 30? *watches as almost every male hand goes up*
And how many of you are doing your monthly testicular self exams? *watches as about 3 hands go up*
Yes, Yes, NYC, we know. You 'check' twice, three times a day. wink

Right...so... Ladies, check your breasts once a month. Do it at the same time in your menstrual cycle.

Gentlemen, check your testicles once a month. JUST DO IT. It can save your life. One of my swim teammates got testicular cancer when he was 17 and damned near died of it. Better lose one nut than lose them both, remember that.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I know it's bad that I don't know, but am I just meant to check for.. extra lumps or anything like that?

Sorry to be an idiot but it's one of those things people just seem to know, and asking isn't that easy wink

Thoreau

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
checking for lumps.... testicals

checking for lumps.... Breast cancer

i suggest you read and have a look at both no matter what bits you have. you never know you could spot it on your partner or loved one.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks smile

Thoreau

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
kiss your welcome and good for you for asking hug

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Its really sad, but hopefully she'll be fine as they've caught it early, and hopefully itll have the positive effect of raising awarness all round. My Dad will be really sad, he's an absolutly huge fan of hers!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
i hope she dies...

biggrin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
Written by: dream

i hope she dies...

biggrin

i'm no fan, and i can clearly see that you aren't either, but i think that's a really insensitive thing to say. cancer is a horrible thing to go through, especially if it's terminal. i think you've just offended anyone who's survived cancer and anyone who's lost someone to it. that's so thoughtless. i honestly don't know what else to say.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Just popping in to sat how disgusted i am at that post.

I may be out of line here, but i seriously hope karma comes and bites you on the ass for that one...

You may not like her music, and you may not like her, but wishing death by anymeans says a lot about what kind of person you are....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I think its a shame that it takes a celebrity to get it before suddenly the coverage on breast cancer is inceased 10 fold, still i wish she gets better quickly.

The good thing that will come of this is hopefully breast cancer awareness will increase.

All the best Kylie and to anyone else stricken with this terrible affliciton

hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

boardiesBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
Just want to fully support FRD & Myco in also being totally disgusted with aforementioned post. Absolutely 100% out of order, and totally offensive. Sickening really that comments like that exist. Here here on the karma thing, not much left to say.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
damn straight: less of the bad taste plse mate, if not out of respect to her, then out of respect to those of us who've lost friends or relatives to cancer

ture na sig

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
ditto about the bad taste...its just not necessary

I think that everyone here probably knows someone who has had cancer and most of us know someone who has died from it. The comment made is sure to offend pretty much everyone here so i really don't know what you were thinking dream.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
double dito

on a brighter note, kylies opperation has been a success, they said they got it 'in time'

also, kylie has asked people to, instead of sending cards and flowers, make a donation.

tis nice.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think it's important to remember:

BREAST CANCER IS CURABLE. It has been curable for quite some time. Nobody should die of breast cancer! It's not necessary!

But you have to find it early. I'm glad Kylie is doing well and I hope she will empower more research into treating advanced disease.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ditto

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
the media attention for this [censored]'s me. Millions of women suffer from this, why all the excitement now? Wake up people!

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
although the above is very true, sometimes it takes a celebrity or two (olivia newton john) to get something before the pubilc are made more aware.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
And Kylie is famous, people around the world have established a bond with her or know of her.
A major event in a famous person's life is always going to be 'news', just this time it's more serious than a relationship break up or popping to the shops with no make up on. Kylie is also one of the nicer, more personable celebs and she's liked by more than just her fans.

Kylie having breast cancer makes millions of women more aware of the risks and more likely to get themselves checked out. If one person discovers thier cancer earlier as a result then that's a good enough reason to put her on the front page.

Also to others suffering from breast cancer it can be reassuring to have a public figure & role model going through the same as you.

I was looking forward to seeing her at Glastonbury, but I suppose I'll just have to wait. Good luck to her & get well soon.

Page: