Forums > Other Toys > new to fire eating, need help with vapours and breath control plz!

Login/Join to Participate

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
ok, i learnt to eat fire last week thanks to you guys! i know, this is my first post but i have read almost every thread on the art, but i have two questions:

I have read that it is proper practise to not breath while doing ti, just to put out the flame totaly, but when i hold my breath, it burns my lips, i HAVE to exhale, any tips? (i think it was pele that said that?)

And vapours, how do you get vapours! i am using colemans and i dont know how to draw in the vapours, i have the video by Brian Brushwood and on it his flames go INSIDE his mouth, how?!

(yes i did take all the safty measures first thankyou, any help will help!)

thanks guys, daz ubbrollsmile weavesmiley

EDITED_BY: fussy (1116366023)

stupidity is not a crime, you are free to go!!!

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:

*bump*

Come on guys! you must know something?! is pele away? i am new to the forum but i can see that pele is what i need! any one right now though?! daz

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

This is about fire breathing but there were some pretty good points and a lot of information raised about fuels.

I will continue to search for you and se if I can find anything else - in the meantime I suggest you pm Pele because as you say, she does indeed know here stuff! hug

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

3,638 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

this looks much more useful smile

3,638 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I just answered an email about this and thought I would include "Pele's 13 Steps to Fire Eating for Beginners" that I put in the email *giggle*.

So, to sum it all up.....

1. Soak and shake off torch

2. Light and let burn a couple of seconds to make sure all the excess is off

3. Check wind

4. Raise torch to 70-80 degree angle above face

5. Check wind

6. Take a deep breath

7. Get a load of spit in the mouth, lick lips

8. Open as wide as possible

9. Check wind

10. Slowly line up your torch and begin it's descent into your mouth, if you feel the need gently exhale (genlty so as not to blow out the torch...though optimally you don't exhale at all during this)

*remember if anything goes wrong, blow it out, you can relight later

11. Put torch into mouth so that the head is behind your teeth

12. Close lips around torch to smother

13. Remove torch, breathe and smile, you just did it!

Another important note, and a disclaimer....

***Don't inhale when the fire is in your mouth, not even through your nose. It will result in crispy nostrils, sinuses and possibly lungs.***

I know I have mentioned that I do some inhaling tricks with the fire, and I think some of you have seen it (NYC, Nomad, Peregrine???). It is not safe. It is very stupid. I admit it. I have also been doing this awhile. Just don't try it....
And if you do try it, or fire eating in general, I am by no means the master/mistress, nor am I the end all beat all expert. I will not be responsible for any injuries. I am merely supplying suggestions to help you not get burned!

That being said...Everyone light their torches!
Hope this helps

and there was this hiding in there too smile

FYI - [Old link] It can be found at the top of the board. If there are any other topics you need/want help with then you can do a search for them. This site has a long and varied history - most topics under the sun have been discussed at length, and often some of the most comprehensive advice is from the older posts when fewer people were familiar with these arts.

Happy playing smile

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
well, thankyou very much, i have been hanging round here now for about a week without posting! and have found the searchh function, yes, i know, someone posted AFTER they searched! wow! and i think i have read every thread with eating in there body or title! i even searched for one calle dfire earing after i read that on one of pele' posts! anyway, i may pm pele but i found the 13 steps very good, thankyou again, daz!

3,638 posts

Posted:
Those 13 steps are in the second link that I posted - well done for searching (sometimes it can take a while!)

The second link also has a lot of other discussion and information I think would help you.

no probs ubbrollsmile

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
well, thankyou, what about your experience? how do you do vapour tricks? dragons breath etc... i alread have the book by brian but it doesnt explain enough (sorry brian if you see this!) any tips? apart from dont do it!

And another thing that anyone that does this should be able to answer is the breathe one, do i have to exhale as i find it very hot if i dont?! thanks, daz tongue

3,638 posts

Posted:
I don't fire eat at all. In fact I hardly ever spin fire tongue I'm just a helpful fairy come to aid your serach - biggrin

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
lol. so is pele away?! should be here by now? i think i will get my arms out soon and start to flail them wildly till pele comes and helps!!!!! daz

3,638 posts

Posted:
chill out. Pele is a busy lady with a life. She can't read every thread all the time. When she does come on I am sure she will be more than willing to help smile

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
sorry, it did sound (or read(!)) bad, but usually she is quicker than this, no? thanks for your help! daz

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wow, I feel so popular and in demand! wink

Fussy...should have pm'd or emailed me wink
Performance season is in high gear so I tend to not be as involved in the bb as other times.

Anyway...I am a bit confused by your breathing question.
What is hot? A retention or the torch?

This is fire. It is going to be hot and you will get burned. No two ways around that. It is one of the things we deal with in all of our fire dealings, eating is no exception. Exhaling will help that, slow and steady, but it will also kill your torch for any further tricks.

If your lips are being burned you are not covering them in enough saliva ahead of time. Lick, lick, lick. tongue

Wow..FNF...talk about from the annals of time! That thread took me back! lol That was 4 years ago! Wow!
LOL TA for that!

Anyway, I will be sure to check this thread when I am on again Fussy. wink

Kindest,
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
well, i have a burned lip frown last night, i had my torches, they have a flat bottom to them and as i pulled it out of my mouth (unlit) it caught on my upper set of teeth and pulled it out of my hand, therefore falling onto my bottom lip mad frown

So now i will wait till i am healed, and then get back to it, remembering to hold it tighter, and in my time off, i am going to remake my torches with a tilted bottom. oh well, live and learn!

Pele, sorry i didnt email or pm you, i thought you were on the boards more than that! and you posted in someone else yesterday before me ubbcrying but thankyou for posting in mine!

well, with the 'what is hot' question, it is that if i put it towards my mouth when going to take in vapour, i am told not to breathe out, well, if i dont, of course it is just like cooking my lips, not the torch metal but the flames off it, before they even get into my mouth!

any ideas people? thanks, daz

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I teach these oral fire arts, pm me for specific details, although I'm not a great fan of oral fire arts by corrispondence, if you follow,

mark

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: fussy

well, with the 'what is hot' question, it is that if i put it towards my mouth when going to take in vapour, i am told not to breathe out, well, if i dont, of course it is just like cooking my lips, not the torch metal but the flames off it, before they even get into my mouth!

any ideas people? thanks, daz

Don't only hold it tighter, open your mouth more. That is one of the biggest things.

Are you really heat sensitive, like when you drink coffee or the likes? Seriously, make sure you have alot of saliva in your mouth and lick your lips. That *should* help.

I have met two people in all my years of fire arts/teaching who simply were not able to fire eat. One because he was too sensative to heat and the other because he had a dropped palette and no room for a torch when he closed his mouth.

Take care of that burn. Vitamin E caps popped open and aloe work wonders. wink

There are alot of fire peeps in the UK. Can you not find someone to teach you there, in person?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
i have found someone, execpt they dont do vapours and they breathe out! thanks for the tips, the burn is doing good, there is a health food shop and natural remidy shop in one across the road from our shop! i am jnot that sensitive to heat at all, but i dont drink coffee so am not used to it in my mouth!

when i put the torch in my mouth i keep breating out, it keeps the flame away from my mouth, then i blow quickly to put it out. i was told to put it in my mouth without breathing out then do a quick breathe, but if i do that then it just cooks my lips. that is what i mean.
thanks so far......

daz

Sam JelfsBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
you need to smother out the flames rather than blow them out.... that way you dont blow the flames towards your lips causing burns... plus make sure you use very small flames to start with, let your stick burn off for a lil while first if needed...
you also need to get your slips seriusly wet (esp to start with), if you can hold a "spit bubble" between your lips they should be wet enough... least thats the theory i use... smile

im sure someone on here will be able to correct me if i've got it wrong smile

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Im confuzzled now.
breath out dont breath out shrug I donny know. I was taught one way but im hearing another. Im not good enough to know which is best. *cries* frown

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
thats what i was asking about joker, i was told over and over again to breath out, then i heard that the best way is not to breath out, but dont breathe in of course! but if i dont breathe out, i get burned! i think i will just stick with breathing out or wait till pele is on here?! thanks so far......

daz

enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Ok i thought id put this question here as its the same toipc smile

I want to make a fire eating wand thingy. I need to buy kevlar but i dont know whther to get kevlar rope or thread.
Is it the same or is one prefered?

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

For starting with, 45mm kevlar wick is a good option, you can upgrade to 65mm later, mouth size etc, 11mm duralimin tube,

mark

enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
coolies thanks. biggrin
Ive bought some kevlar and kevlar rope too. Although i dunno if ill use the rope for making a fire eating wand or not.
I was thinking of ending a fire palms routine with fire eating, just as a more impressive way to exstinguish the flame rather than letting it go out. I think they`re slightly too big though. ALso they`re covered in wire atm so ill have to get rid of that now. rolleyes

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I do a palm fire routine finished with fire eating, also I have a fire finger routine, finished with eating, watch the metalwork, alternatively find a different mode of wick attachment,

mark

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi Guys,

For my fire eating wands I do prefer my Kevlar rope (1/8" diameter) and then I use whipping to attach it to my torch available from dube.com.

When you start to learn fire eating you are taught to breathe out and are generally quite scared of getting burnt, your putting fire in your mouth!

When you get slightly more advanced your are taught to reduce your breathing, this will give you a less windy flame and will look way more hardcore to your audience (bigger flame as well). By not breathing out can also get you ready for vapour tricks; vapour tricks are not possible if you breathe out while eating.

I am confused on how your getting burnt lips? I'm thinking you’re still closing your mouth over your wick and getting your lips burnt on the metal/wire part of the torch? If you are, there's actually a trick to that, which I can PM you. [edit: just read how your burning your lips wink]

Vapour tricks ARE HARD!

Can you put your finger just passed your lips and close your mouth on it. Now you can expand your cheeks, just your cheeks and your not inhaling. This is what you want to be able to do with a slightly open mouth so your not smothering the flame.

You can then try the real thing! Start to eat your torch normally so when it enters your mouth, purse your lips and you asked why Brian's flame died down? When Brian expands his cheeks, he is drawing fuel vapours into his mouth, leaving only a small amount of fuel vapours rising = smaller flame that looks like its being drawn into your mouth.

Then you can do whatever you like with those vapours, blowing them out in one gust for a big flame, letting the vapours out slowly for a longer lasting flame (good to light an un-lit torch).

Hope this helps,
EDITED_BY: Matthew O'Keyes (1128874710)

fussymember
82 posts

Posted:
Thanks very much for that, i dont know why my lips were being burned, i wasnt putting my lips on the metal, i havnt used that method, i breathe out, ever, ever so slowly, then a final puff for the end.

With Brian, i wanted to know HOW he got the flames go in his mouth. I know why, but cant do it my self.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Daz

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: fussy

With Brian, i wanted to know HOW he got the flames go in his mouth. I know why, but cant do it my self.

The flames DO NOT go in his mouth, just the vapour. The flames look like they are going in his mouth because they drop dramatically, because theres no vapours in the air to burn (because they are being sucked into his cheeks). ubbidea understand? ubbrollsmile