Forums > Social Discussion > Help me make plans I don't know anything about Britain :P

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
So, I've been told I'm going to Falmouth, and had uber-poi pointed out as an idea, particuarly as I'd like to swing by edinburgh. Otherwise, besides trying to get ahold of a miss lolli whom i always see busy or logging off of that dastardly msn, i'm trying to figure out what I need to bring to england in the summer (particuarly for outdoor events, how I bo best get around, and who else would like to be wonderful and offer me somewhere to stay/ to show me around these places .... I have to be home by august 2nd, and I would leave sometime in July. I have a friend to visit it York (Which i'm told is the far off corner of england from falmouth) and am otherwise just clueless.... I have one tiny backpack, a love for dancing, and a desire to run around in wales.

So at least tell me what I need, and also how to budget money, I don't have tons exactly but I know i need to get around and be able to buy some food and such....

-Kbug

juggle ubbangel juggle

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
check your pm's my lovely biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yay! Help is on the way. Now someone has to help me make sense of rainy british weather and geography and all that... so far what I know is: York is in the northeat. Falmouth is in the Southwest. Dorset and Southampton are also in the South, and Wales is west and Scotland is North. I don't even really know where London is!! redface redface

hug to all who are helpful

also anyone who knows the faintest about eventing yards should give me some info as I'd like to poke people when I'm over there- I'm supposed to look into moving when I come.

bounce

-Kyri smile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Maybe buy a map?! ubblol

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
go to newquay hehe

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Right falmouth is indeed in the south west. The most southerly/westerly point there is.

Southampton is on the south coast, but right in the centre - ish.

York is right slap-bang in the middle - ish (if you're looking at the whole of great britain...) or alternatively, in yorkshire (pronounced yorkSHEER, not yorkshy-er like I hear many americans say it wink tongue)

London is that really big patch of 'city' around where the river comes out on the east side of the country - the river thames, that is. The Next river up is the river humber - hull is here, not the nicest place in the world, and empty of spinners during academic holidays.

wales is indeed west. and welsh. a lot of them talk in funny accents, and even speak in tongues!! Skulduggery lives in wales...

Looks like you're making it a 'four corners' of britain tour. Nice. Anything else you'd like to know? biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

3,638 posts

Posted:
Kyri has a total itinarary now methinks. ubblol at lack of geographical knowledge though! ubblol ubblove

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
ubblol have you seen this? sorry if youve already searched but i find it quiet useful. https://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/europe/england/england.htm

also if you decide to pop round the manchester area gimme a shout, ill have a place you can stay (will be in a house then whoo) and im sure the manc peeps will have a spin with you.

ubblol now ive just realised ive already spoken to you about this lol, nevermind my offers still standing.
EDITED_BY: liquid_bubblegum (1116458850)

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The bathrooms are called 'Loos,' dear. Flushing the toilets can be a bit tricky as sometimes they hide the handle. Sometimes there isn't a handle and you have to pull a cord. Sometimes that cord you thought might flush the toilet shuts off the lights instead.

Also, sad to say, but the UK is technologically far behind the U.S. See, they haven't invented the 'mixing faucet' yet (they're called 'taps' here, BTW.) So they have a hot faucet and a cold faucet. so you can wash your hands under ice-cold water or scalding-hot water.

Do watch out when crossing the street. The government finally realized that driving on the Left is unnatural and so they helpfully put little signs on the pavement advising you which way to look for oncoming traffic. However, that is no guarantee that that's actually the direction from which the speeding double-decker bus will be coming.

Oh, and bring warm clothes.

ubbangel

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

3,638 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i would suggest going to poiinthepark.net and signing up, then going to the events thread and roppig solice a pm asking him about july pips, i would sggest to hit one up, as they are rather nice, and full of lush people like lolli, solice and loads of others smile

Step (el-nombrie)

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
hey sweetness
when are you coming the the uk ?
HUGS AND LOVE
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cass when are you in the uk?

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I would say "Come to Guildford" but to be honest, it's a bit rubbish.

Go to London/Falmouth and I'll meet you there biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

3,638 posts

Posted:
mech when are you in the UK?

wink

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cassandra

hey sweetness
when are you coming the the uk ?
HUGS AND LOVE
Cass

fluffy, cass said when are you in the implying that she will or is already here, and i thought she was still with flyntie in oz?

as for me im always on another planet biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: •L•I•G•H•T•N•I•N•G•

The bathrooms are called 'Loos,' dear. Flushing the toilets can be a bit tricky as sometimes they hide the handle. Sometimes there isn't a handle and you have to pull a cord. Sometimes that cord you thought might flush the toilet shuts off the lights instead.

Also, sad to say, but the UK is technologically far behind the U.S. See, they haven't invented the 'mixing faucet' yet (they're called 'taps' here, BTW.) So they have a hot faucet and a cold faucet. so you can wash your hands under ice-cold water or scalding-hot water.

Do watch out when crossing the street. The government finally realized that driving on the Left is unnatural and so they helpfully put little signs on the pavement advising you which way to look for oncoming traffic. However, that is no guarantee that that's actually the direction from which the speeding double-decker bus will be coming.

Oh, and bring warm clothes.

ubbangel

tsk tsk. Americans. 'any thing you can do, we can do better!' rolleyes

We have decent lemonade here that isn't sprite. And nothing so silly as drive thru off licences (sorry, I mean 'liquor stores') or drive thru banks.

And those taps do exist, just not where you've been!! biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Getting to the other side smile