899 posts

Posted:
Anyone have any major dramas yet?

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

Sir Nuggit....is a liability
899 posts

Posted:
Indeed, alls well that ends well smile

I've actually had a really bizarre weekend but can't put that down to the 13th, more a case of rubbing shoulders with Jack ubbloco

Non-Https Image Link

Pull my pin out, roll me in to a room and see what happens ubbloco

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
*bumperoonie*
does anyone know where the superstition comes from that friday the 13th is a bad day?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
its a load of balony - it isn't an unlucky day - its because you know its friday the 13th that you notice bad luck more.
Saying that, i never walk under ladders.

Well, a can of paint may fall - or worse - the ladder itself!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I googled that question and found THIS.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
didnt get anything from the link skully.

TP, me neither, but im just wondering where the idea comes from. the ladder thing(for instance), appart from the obvious thing of stuff falling, goes back many many years, when the triangle was seen as a symbol of power. if someone has a board/ladder leading up to something it makes a triangle. by walking under, you are breaking the triangle, removing the power from the person who made the triangle, or something like that anyways.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I have had some awfully bad luck today:

Some bastards stole my brand new cheque book from my mail book and made out two cheques totalling £500, now the bank isn't going to charge me for that but they are going to charge me £38 overdraft fee because there was not enough money in the account to honour the cheques......huh?????

It was a brand new account that had no money in it at all yet.

I hate banks...I hate thieves....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Nothing has happened to me personally today but...

There was a huge fight at one of our gigs that I was a part of organising. It was all about racial harmony/anti-racism etc and there was a big fight outside frown Police came and an ambulance was called. I don't know the full story yet though.

To make matters worse, after the fight two Iraqi boys tried to enter the gig but our STUPID security guards didn't let them in because apparently 'they looked like they were going to cause trouble'

Racism at an anti racism event..

Those two boys come to every event of ours, and they do some work with our boss doing all this good community stuff.

frown

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
As a weeble and bob fan it's a bad day for me frown

i cant really talk about it as i don't want to spoil it for other fans.

go here to find out more.......... https://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/100/

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm that's odd. The link worked earlier. Sorry about that.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/question614.htm

try that and see if that works.

[edit] Cut and paste works just as well ubblol

Written by: Howstuffworks.com

In North America and Europe, a significant portion of the population behaves very strangely on Friday the 13th. They won't fly in airplanes, host a party, apply for a job, get married or even start a new project. Some people won't even come into work. In the United States, roughly 8 percent of the population is afraid of Friday the 13th, a condition known as paraskevidekatriaphobia. "Friday the 13th" as we know it has its roots in many traditions and cultures.

The superstition surrounding Friday the 13th is actually a combination of two separate fears -- the fear of the number 13, called triskaidekaphobia, and the fear of Fridays. The most familiar source of both these phobias is Christian theology. Thirteen is significant to Christians because it is the number of people who were present at the Last Supper (Jesus and his 12 apostles). Judas, the apostle who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th member of the party to arrive.

Christians have traditionally been wary of Fridays because Jesus was crucified on a Friday. In addition to that, some theologians hold that Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden fruit on a Friday, and that the Great Flood began on a Friday. In the past, many Christians would never begin any new project or trip on a Friday, for fear that the endeavor would be doomed from the start.

Sailors were particularly superstitious in this regard, often refusing to ship out to sea on a Friday. According to legend, in the 18th century, the British Navy commissioned a ship called the H.M.S. Friday in order to quell the superstition. The navy selected the crew on a Friday, launched the ship on a Friday and even selected a man named James Friday as the ship's captain. Then, one Friday morning, the ship set off on its maiden voyage -- and disappeared forever.

Some historians trace the Christian distrust of Fridays to the church's overall opposition to pagan religions. Friday is named after Frigg, the Norse goddess of love and sex. This strong female figure, these historians claim, posed a threat to male-dominated Christianity. To fight her influence, the Christian church characterized her as a witch, vilifying the day named after her. This characterization may also have played a part in the fear of the number 13. It was said that Frigg would often join a coven of witches, normally a group of 12, bringing the total to 13. A similar Christian tradition holds that 13 is unholy because it signifies the gathering of 12 witches and the devil.

Some trace the infamy of the number 13 back to ancient Norse culture. In Norse mythology, the beloved hero Balder was killed at a banquet by the malevolent god Loki, who crashed the party of twelve, bringing the group to 13. This story, as well as the story of the Last Supper, led to one of the most entrenched connotations of the number 13: You should never sit down to a meal in a group of 13.

Another significant part of the Friday-the-13th legend is a particularly bad Friday the 13th that occurred in the middle ages. On a Friday the 13th in 1306, King Philip of France burned the revered Knights Templar at the stake, marking the occasion as a day of evil.

Some people come to fear Friday the 13th because of misfortune they've experienced on that day in the past. If you get in a car wreck on one Friday the 13th, or lose your wallet, that day is bound to stay with you. But if you think about it, bad things (from spilling your coffee to, well, much more serious problems) happen all the time, so if you're looking for bad luck on Friday the 13th, you'll probably find it.

EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1137169580)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
AAAARRRRHHHHH!!!!!

FRIDAY 13TH!!!!!

*hides in bunker*

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Burnt my finger this morning frown but the flat tyre with car happened yesterday! Anyone knows anything about bad luck on Thursday the 12th? (hehe) Guess things can happen any day of the year...

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I've had a great day...

Most of my birthday cards arrived today...

I was allowed an extra chance to do some assessments I'd missed at uni, which means I don't have to repeat the year...

I've walked out to the bus stop, and the bus pulled up just as I got there...

I've had more motivation than usual...

New year party at my halls tonight, which should mean some fun...

Yeah, Today's a good day... biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i was born on friday the 13th - its a good day for me..

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I know its got to do with Pagans and The church but i cant remember the entire story... but ye... shrug

nothing baaaaad has happened yet?

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I've had a good day, found out i got a work experience placement at a huge publishing firm so yeah, good day biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Leaning_Towards_Corruption

I've had a great day...

Most of my birthday cards arrived today...
I was allowed an extra chance to do some assessments I'd missed at uni, which means I don't have to repeat the year...
I've walked out to the bus stop, and the bus pulled up just as I got there...
I've had more motivation than usual...
New year party at my halls tonight, which should mean some fun...

Yeah, Today's a good day... biggrin

Eh? NEW YEARS party today?

Bloody Students! rolleyes

Oh, and donkey's dead frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
the girl i live with had a GCSE exam on friday the thirteenth, it wen ok though

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
We went out for a family meal this evening, and came home to find a rock thrown through our front room window.
Ruddy ace!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Some neds stole our bin and hid down the street so I had to search for it first thing this morning, making me late to college. (they had hid it behind a car - what's the point of that?!).

On the other hand I've had the most motivation to do work I've had all week, and got loads done. I also found out some other good news, but I can't really say on here!

Overall I've had the best day of the week. biggrin

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
@ furrypurple - MOT level, that surely cant be that high biggrin

I was on the way to work and there was some daft train malfunction thing. Could'nt get to work so they had to give me the day off smile Spent the rest of it juggling biggrin

My work was on the way to the airport so there was loads of freaked out plane missing tourist, poor guys.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yep, had a terrible day. Got called into work when I had better plans lined up. frown

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
yaaaaay! My cousin finally had her baby yesterday. I can't wait to see her biggrin

hug me!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
*bump* wink

ok I was walking into work in my coat and a damn pigeon crapped on me... I had my hood up so I was ok but was that lucky or unlucky?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
My coworker put in $5 and won $45 at the Pokies (slot machines)

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
I accidently wiped the odometer on my cycle computer while trying to correct the time - it was up to 5126 km (after 15 months) & I was soooo looking forward to seeing it click over 10000 km. [sighs] Oh well, only another 9985 km to go...

Apart from that, just the usual near-death experiences that are the norm every day when cycling in the city.

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
all my Social Chat topics says they have been read while they clearly have not frown

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I walked to tescos express to do some shopping, and just as I got to the check out the elctricity went out and they had to shut the shop!
So had to walk back home again, and get a bus to the other tescos rolleyes

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i woke up rolleyes

wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
That's not just bad for you strugz wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"all my Social Chat topics says they have been read while they clearly have not"

Im having the opposite frown
All the topics say they haven't been read, while they clearly have. umm

Page: