VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I dont know if anyone else thinks this way ...

but there are alot of videos that i would really enjoy owning... from a variety of different skills (juggling, poi and various performances)

the only thing that puts me off... is the fact that they ARE videos... with all the changing technologies im not prepared to spend alot of money on buying a video that in a few years i probably wont be able to watch.

Do you think that alot of sales will of declined because of people turning to dvd?

Do you think that the producers of videos would benefit by making thier performances available on dvd?

xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

ROBZILLAHAIL TO THE KING BABY
204 posts

Posted:
maybe it's a financial restraint. are they being made by small independant companies or individuals?

I DO NOT REGRET THE THINGS I HAVE DONE, ONLY THOSE I DID NOT DO.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
But surely after initial costs it would infact be beneficial

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

ROBZILLAHAIL TO THE KING BABY
204 posts

Posted:
yer, but if they've not got tose funds or the equipment....

i aws in a fortunate positin as a courier in manchester and made some useful contacts int he a/v industry...i used o take in my vids and get them put on dvd!

so that's an option find someone near where you live that could do that...or hook your video up to your pc!

I DO NOT REGRET THE THINGS I HAVE DONE, ONLY THOSE I DID NOT DO.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've yet to buy a DVD player, but you're right- VHS is on it's way out.

Most of the video movie stores round here have all the VHS shunted into a corner to make way for the DVDs, and it's getting difficult to find newish movies on video.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I can't watch either of my col videos because i no longer have vhs.

I have acces to several dvd players tho, including one from richer sounds that cost £30 and is excellent.

Plus dvd's are cheaper to produce and easier to store and send, i wouldn't bring anything out on vhs.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
So why are they soooo much more expensive to buy?! (that one goes out to the people who are making lots of profit off them!)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
cd's are more expensive to buy than cassettes (huh, remember them!?) and yeah, dvds are probably cheaper to produce too, but who's going to buy a video costing more than the dvd? I have stopped buying VHS now, which is annoying since there are a few things out there i'd like to buy but aren't on dvd. Also dvd is playable in different countries whereas videos aren't.

If i were to do a video it would be released on dvd, but more likely i would put it on internet. For sale in shops, a region dvd would defo be the way fwd - internationally able to sell then...

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
"So why are they soooo much more expensive to buy"

Because they are produced by massive corporations who's sole aim is get more money. dvd's like you buy in the shops for £15 probably only cost £0.50 to produce, cd's about £0.15 at a guess for mass produced stuff.

They are ripping you off, then complaining about you downloading music and videos lol

In america they just passed a very underhanded law which enables you to be put in prison for 3 years for distributing illegal dvd copies and 10 years for filming and releasing a new film before it's release date or something. definitely 10 years tho, this is a blaitant lobby from the US media industry and all the more reason IMO to get your dvd's free from the East lol.

Of course if you find a dvd that you really like you should buy it to encourage those people to make more good moves (or tunes) but 90% (IMO) of hollywood movies are utter shite and not worth the blank dvd they are recorded on.

m

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I have a personal grudge against the DVD international coding (codes 1 - 6). My parents sent DVDs for christmas, and no one here can watch them!!! mad

tried burning them with a computer into Europe's code, and hey, still don't work! frown

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
if you take it back to the shop where you bought the dvd player they will normally un-regionalise it for free. All they have to do is point a controller at it and type in a code.

Or watch on a computer, most of which shouldn't have regions,

Or rip it into an AVI and watch on computer (pm me over on my site for more info on freeware tools)

Or buy a dvd player from Richer Sounds for £30, they have a policy on un-regionalising all machines they sell cos they don't believe in it.

m

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
1) Never heard of that, might look into it...

2) the computer in my house here doesn't read DVDs (burning was done by the boyfriend, 250km south)

3) see 2)

4) Living in Germany...

But thanks for the thoughts! I'll ask around about the first suggestion, might be possible. hug

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Firewuffmember
26 posts

Posted:
So why are they soooo much more expensive to buy"

"probably only cost £0.50 to produce, cd's about £0.15 at a guess for mass produced stuff."

AS an AV professional who has produced several Professional and not so professional DVD's it all a matter of volume. if your talking about a run of 100,000 or more then the above costs are not too unreasonable. Most people producing Twirling stuff might only be selling a few thousand at best.

THIS IS JUST THE PRESS COST. not including the production costs, editing, promotion, printing, shipping, distrubition etc. To completely edit a 2hrs stage show (4 cameras) I recently charged a client $6000 and that was INCREDABLY cheep. The menus and authoring to a master DTL was that again and then some including the graphic design. The shoot was about $10,000.....I don't know what the audio cost as it was done by another company. Thats a lot of money just for a stage show which is a simple edit.

When comparing VHS with DVD production costs, in the above project I also produced a VHS Master. With no menus and associated design costs, DLT masters, Disk art ETC the Master was only about $1000 after editing compared to $7000+ depending on the complexity of the menus etc.

"They are ripping you off, then complaining about you downloading music and videos lol"

IT IS THEFT simple. everyone does it but it does'nt make it any better or right. complain and bitch about the price but it isn't somthing that you Can't live without. The law you mentioned is
specifically designed to stop organised pirates who are profiting on other peoples work. Personally I have no problem with casual copying, I might copy a movie or two but to make a living of other peoples risk and work is really shitty. I will not buy "profesionally" piriated software, DVD etc for this reason no matter how tempting it is to save a few bucks.

"Of course if you find a dvd that you really like you should buy it to encourage those people to make more good moves (or tunes) but 90% (IMO) of hollywood movies are utter shite and not worth the blank dvd they are recorded on."

Unfortunatly Agreed....

"The company of those that seek the truth is
always preferable to those who think they have
found it"

Terry Pratchet
Monsterous Regiment