Forums > Help! > horizontal camera stand

Login/Join to Participate

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I hope this is a worthy cause for a new thread, i am doing an animation based on digital photographs of work laved flat on the floor or a table. It must be flat like this otherwise it will fall apart.

(GETS TO THE POINT) anyone know where to get hold of a camera stand that will hold the camera facing downwards, or a DIY alternative?

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
it's called a copy stand, most photographic studios have em, I'd be very suprised if you uni doesn't have some

You should be able to get the same effect with a decent tripod, but a copy stand is the way forward if you're talking about photographing for an animation/in a studio

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
yay thanx flid, so thats what they are called lol, yes it looks as if i can borrow on from uni, although it would be nice to own one.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
check out ebay, there's a couple on at the moment.

To be honest thou, unless you have space for a studio/equipment it'd be much better to get a decent tripod which you can use for both. It's not ideal, but I use my tripod as a copy stand these days.

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Its ok, I have aquired a tripod that happened to be lying on the side in our studio smile

Seem good enough, its a manfrotto confused

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cool, mine's from a spanish supermarket that I bought when I was about 14 tongue

The main advantage of a proper copy stand is that it has spotlights attached. You need to make sure you get the lighting right, which can be hard if you're photographing something that has a glossy surface or isn't 2d

The other thing to note, if you're photographing something 2d (ie paper) you need to make sure that your camera is in the centre and looking directly straight on. Otherwise it won't look quite right.

Don't rule out using a scanner either, may give much better results

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
most cameras typically use 1/4 20 thread, so it wouldn't be that hard to jury rig something up. Hell you could even just stick it to a table over your work, it makes things slighly more complicated though and like flid said a copy stand would be the way to go if you're going to do a lot of this.

Bogen/Manfrotto is a great brand btw, hold onto that if you can wink

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Thanx lurch, I dont think I have strong enough sellotape to strap it to a table eek, but seeing as I am using my digital camera, I can zoom in once, so I dont get a shot with tripod legs in it rolleyes

Just need to consider lighting now, i have a daylight bulb in my housemates lamp.....hmm

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by:

most cameras typically use 1/4 20 thread, so it wouldn't be that hard to jury rig something up. Hell you could even just stick it to a table over your work

I made an astrophotography mount for a digital camera onto my old telescope out of mdf a couple of years ago. It wasn't pretty, but it cost about 5% of the cost of the cheapest one on the market.