PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alright, so I returned 3 days ago from an overseas trip where the time difference was substantial (and a day ahead, I might add).

I am having an absolute wretched time adjusting back. My sleep schedule is massively screwed up and I am up at all hours, which leaves me feeling rather ragged when I need to be alert.

I think part of it is psychosomatic, I simply don't want to be back here, but I also know that there *is* an adjustment time when travelling.
How long has it taken any of you to adjust and what have you done to make it happen as soon as possible?

TA!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I find travelling east (about 1 day to adjust) is easier than travelling west (usually about 3) when it comes to jet lag.

but then when I moved to south africa way back when (which was more or less east), I had a hell of a time sleeping at the right hours for like 10 days. but I think that is because I went from long winter nights to short summer ones in that case.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Vanize, I found just the opposite.
I went west. I had no troubles adapting at all when I got there. Coming back east has been the issue, though I do find it interesting that you mention the seasons, as I visited short Autumn nights and have returned to longer Spring ones. Hmmmmmmmm

10 days huh? Owch. Someone mentioned to me a day of recovery for every hour difference, but that seemed extreme. Maybe not as much as I figured.

Thanks! hug

Pele

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I know someone who swears by walking barefoot on grass as soon as he can when he lands. Literally on airport verges, in carparks whatever. He doesn't claim to know why it works - just that it does.

I haven't ever got jet-lag except when I flew home from the states and I think that was more just exhaustion. Water, no caffine, alternating excercise/sleeping all seem to help. Also building in a few days either side of the trip where you have no real plans (I know that this is not always possible, if at all) which takes the pressure off 'trying' to re-adjust and allows your body to do it of it's own accord.

Sorry if this is a bit late!

Hope you're feeling better smile hug

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... interesting point.

I always thought flying west was worst because that was the direction it was always worst for me, but then westward is almost always the direction I go home at the END of the trip...

that could be it - just screwed up from the trip as well as the travel instead of just the travel. will have to think on that in the coming weeks since I am going to the states and back from here now.

-v-

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Flying west tends to be better, but it all depends upon the flight timing and how messed uup your day becomes.

I don't get jet lag so bad - only a couple of days at worst, but those days can be really bad! You have to enforce the correct sleep pattern. Ideally you set your watch to your destintion's time as you get to the airport and act like you're there in terms of sleep and meals (which are important).

But I think it's always going to be a little price to pay for the wonderful gift of travel. smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have a pda with global time tracking, so that was pretty easy actually.
I am doing well now.

I hadn't realize it until you just mentioned it, but meals are *very* important. Not that I ever eat on a regular basis anyway, but it did help.

Caffiene and I became close friends while I was adjusting. lol

Hmmm...lots to concider when I head out again.

And yes, it is such a *small* price to pay for something I love so much! hug

Pele

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i was very lucky, when i few back from oz, i flew from singapoor and followed the night al the way, and got in early morning, so it was like i had not changed times at all, i found that the most easiet way to deal with it, booking flight well

but i found that when i went out to oz, my time was screwed up, what i did was carried out my normal pattern, i tried to lseep at night for as long as i could, even just lying in bed with my eyes closed help me dirft in and out of sleep

and stayed alwake as long as i could in eth day, till about 2 or 3pm on the first couple of days from about a 7am start, and then had a little power knap for a wee while, and that helped?

Step (el-nombrie)

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I've never had any real problems with jet lag... My dad travels a LOT, and the way he survives (and I've never seen my dad suffer any from jet lag) is to 'tough it out' and when you get to your destination, just follow life to the normal times. Like when I flew to Germany, I left at 6am on the 3rd, and arrived at 8am on the third, which was the equivellant to 3am my time... I stayed awake the whole day, ate every meal at the time it should be for being in Germany, and went to bed at the normal time I would at home, but in the different time zone. At the end, I was up for 32 hours, with only 45 min. nap in a real bed.

I had no jet lag whatsoever, and was perfectly fine the next day after 9h of sleep.

No idea if it'll go that well when I get home! ubblol

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Pele - Caffeine = bad! spank

tongue

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I just completed the round trip in the opposite direction (west first then east over the ocean), and contrary to my previous statement, I find I am more knackered now than the first leg. so my conclusion is the return home after the vacation is worse. perhaps it is combined with a letdown from the vacation being over, no excitement from the start of the trip making things easier, and cumulative exhaustion from the entire vacation.

was up most of last night despite being really tired, though the first night home I slept fine. I feel like complete ass today.

-v-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

Pele - Caffeine = bad! spank

tongue

Sooo true. I had to ween myself off of caffeine after. It was such a strange series of events.

Vanize..that could be, though in the past I have always wanted to go home.
I am finally adjusted to the time though, so that is good. To the actuality of being here, well..... that's a horse of a different color.
hug

Pele

rowanleemember
99 posts

Posted:
Hi Pele,
just so you know for the future, there is a very effective homeopathic product called "no jet lag". ( dumb but memorable name...) Lots of people rave about it.

* I know some do not believe in homeopathic medicine, and I am not all that interested in that debate. For a few dollars you can try it find out for yourself! no harm done. ;-)*

And staying hydrated on long plane trips is crucial to prevention.
( drink lots of water, no coffee or alcohol ditch the salted snacks)

Aside from that I second what most others have said: eat well, sleep when it is dark,avoid caffeine, touch the earth/grass with your feet, and be gentle on yourself as you adjust...

That said, sometimes I do the exact opposite, and push myself like crazy before my return flight, partying,dancing, hanging with friends,-- dont sleep hardly at all for days before you fly out. Then you crash on the plane, sleep a solid day and night when you get home, and wake up just fine! ;-)

hug

wherever you go, there you are

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I remember reading years ago (think it was in new scientist) that sunlight on the back of your knees helps reset circadian rhythms (bodyclock).

At least it's a fun thing to try...

monkeys ate my brain