PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We were scheduled to headline a charity show in April to benefit the Girls Scouts of America Central New York Division. I was once a girl scout so I thought it'd be nice to give back and it's always nice to be a headliner.The schedule had been set, the performers are all geared up and final approval from the head Girl Scout honcho's came down with this little memo...."We can not condone the admission of the Pyromorph show, more importantly of Pele, into the docket for this years event. We feel that having been a girl scout herself and a young woman of obvious intelligence she should be aware of the negative impact such a presentation would have on the young girls of our organization. The docket will continue as it stands with the exception of the fire presentation."I have *NEVER* in my whole damn life been so f*&^ing insulted!!! A negative influence!!!!!!!! Hot damn! If I showed up looking like a biker from a low rider magazine and proceeded to give lessons on how to do a proper lap dance(no offense Jesse) for these little girls then I could see the issue but it's our Ren performance. And the fact they single me out was even worse!!!! I have insurance. Hell,I have the backing of the area fire department and of the venue we would be performing in. Yet these representatives of what is supposed to be a non-judgemental, progessively minded organization fear what they have never seen and can't understand so instead of attempting to expand their knowledge base, they stick their heads up their butts and hide in the warmth there. Unfortunately, the audience is the one I feel is paying the price for it (that sounds egotistical doesn't it? Sorry).I could just spit fire without the fuel I am so pissed. I am one of the most safety concientious performers I know. I have a strong sense of responsibility and yet I am being slapped upside the head for it!I think I need to go take this out on the poi....Pele"Things must first wear terrifying and monstrous masks in order to inscribe themselves on the hearts of humanity."-Nicci

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well thats fucked.If I were there, I'd give you a hug.Close mindedness is something we all get being fringe types...I hate it you hate it, some ppl live their lives by it. dont get too upset about it. Its their loss.Josh

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
what was their reasoning for singling you out? its pretty low of them to be so harsh without giving any reasons...then again, it doesnt sound that far off from what our whole country seems to be going toward these days...give us our white bread with peanut butter and jelly and make all our kids the same and Normal...and then wonder why the ones who are different get picked on etc etc. girl scouts, boy scouts, schools, everything.dont really know what to tell you. frownPere

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
That really sucks for all concerned (yes, mostly for the kids who miss out). And I'm curious also--is the administration just straight out freaked by fire or is there some part of your Ren character that is not inline with the girl scout code of conduct?Lynley

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i was too lasy to read your whole life story up there so ill just say what other people have saidThat really sucks for all concerned (yes, mostly for the kids who miss out). And I'm curious also--is the administration just straight out freaked by fire or is there some part of your Ren character that is not inline with the girl scout code of conduct?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The reason they gave is exactly what I quoted. Nothing to do with my character at all. In fact, I had the recommendation of previous producers and that is what got us the contract in the first place. By my contact in the faire it was described to me that they were afraid that the young girls would be entranced by me and what I do and try to emulate me. Fact of the matter is, the administration has never spoke to me, or any other Pyromorph member, seen our act or our characters. As far as I know they didn't even look at the portfolio. They saw the docket, my contact told them what we do and who we are and they based their judgements on that. They are the commision and rather than having a hands on approach to what goes on, they prefer paper passing and stamping.I scheduled a video and photo shoot for that day so I feel a bit better, though still insulted. Thanks for all who took the time.And Jeff, that was rude and completely not humorous.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
*oWcH*that hurts pele...Oh well, it's really their own disadvantage. The administrators are the ones taking away from the girls frown. What also sucks is that they gave you no prior notice frown. NEwho, how do people like that get positions that high NEwayz!???------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
WOW, one thing I cant stand is stupidity, whisch is what that is. I would have sent a letter to the head honcho,telling them that you are sorry that they chose not to feature you, and to please explain why it would have a negative impact. It's funny, because our local paper just ran an editorial urging the community to give to the "wonderful" girl scouts. I think that is a big blow to you personally, and another to all resposible, intelligien fire performers. Enjoy your photo shoot.-PSMps. Jeff- That really was rude. I know pele can be a little long winded, none of her words are wasted. She knows what she's talking about.[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 26 March 2001).]

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
on a note similar to yours, pele. a friend and i decided that were we going to do strings (w/ glosticks) at a dance the other night. for the majority of the time things were going cool and we got to amaize a lot of poeople, but then i desided i was going to do sticks (bassicle poi just doing slightly varried motions / glowsticks in th hand). that was the biggest mistake of the evening, right as a started to do them in an open spot on the floor, i was attacked. kicked around and thrown about till i was violently grabed and pushed away from where i was standing by a couple of people. people can be so narrow minded and crude. its obvious that what we (pele and others) do in most cases is not to do anything to hurt anyone, just entertain and enjoy ourselves. but with last night it has become very obvious that some will go out of their way to hurt others. this one incident badly tainted an otherwise awsome evening------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
quote:
i was too lasy to read your whole life story up there so ill just say what other people have said
Shit, Jeff, that's a bit harsh, eh? If you said something like that to me I'd have to fly over there and crash you ! smileBeing a disreputable fellow myself (no, it's true), I can understand people wanting to protect whatever it is from me, but being singled out by name, I mean HELLO!Are these people deliberately looking for a confrontation or are they just dof/insensitive ?If only people would take the time to intellectualise how they would respond to a remark/criticism/judgement and then emotionalise the fact that, despite our mean exterior, we can all be surprisingly sensitive - just like them ...I won't be buying cookies for a while, thank you, because I find that Girl Scouts (based on this account) deny and denegrate certain aspects of feminity and freedom of expression, and promote unreasonable expectations and a grotesquely distorted outlook on modern life !We don't advocate a pathological lifestyle. We are environmentally conscious. We are not a cult that chooses to be seperate from normal morality ! We don't knock over gas stations to keep us in fuel ( Ooops ! grin )Grrrr! and Ptui! with you on this one, Pele ! I've been dealing with the 'HeadBlind' for a while now and sometimes they just have to have their good fortune thrust upon them ...Groove on !Bish"All your base are belong to us."[This message has been edited by Bish_the_Ding (edited 26 March 2001).]

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey emptyset~you said that things were going great and when you switched to liquid, they started mobbing you!??? doesn't make NE sense, please clarify------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
hey taiguy, i dont think emptyset was referring to liquid. liquid is a good bit different than the glowsticking that i believe he meant. anyways, my thoughts are this: when you do stuff like that for a little while, its cool and awesome and all, but some people think that doing too much of it might be overdoing it a little, and some might look at it as trying to show off your flashy skills in an egotistical sort of way. they kinda get the attitude of: ok, we saw what you can do, its cool, but now enough is enough, you do it too much. so, i always try to stay rather conservative when it comes to how much stuff i do at an event, even to the point of not doing things when they are requested by other people. whatever, just what i think. be cool everyone. later.-Hapes-Nova, liquid dancer (not to be confused with glowsticking)

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
*huge hugs for pele*[the rest of this space intentionally left blank for fear that i'll go off on a blazing rampage about this being just another example of all the things i hate about people these days. much anger!]...and now return you to your regularly scheduled sympathy hugs.

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
Sue them.It sounds like you put a lot of time and effort into that show, furthermore you could have booked another show that day but reserved it for them. I always make my clients sign a contract when they book a show so no matter what they have to pay me, even if we can't do the show. You can also put a release of liability in the contract which can help if something terrible happens. Getting at least half the money in advance is prudent too.

^_-

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
that really is just plain taking the piss out of you there. Although as I have just started fire i can still remember what it was like to be a on looker, i can see their point. about the girls taking it up, teaching them poi is a really good idea, as long as they dont own too much nice crockrey, but back to the point when i was young i loved playing with fire... and i went to see archaos.... amaising yes i wanted to have a go myself but god would i know how and second i was that shit scared!! of fire that i would not of dared to try.its the truth really just went a little over the top!!! all i can say is sorry to the kids who missed the wonder of poi, you, and everyone else.------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

Rhiannamember
12 posts

Posted:
I have always found Girl Guides (as they are called in NZ) not very adventurous. I now wish that Boy Scouts were taking girls like they are now, things would have been alot more fun and interesting. If the Girl Scouts had such a big problem they could have asked for the fire element to be taken out or perhaps got you to show other forms of poi-swinging etc that doesn't involve fire. I agree with everyone here that is just bloody narrow-mindedness!Heck, I have met a family of kids who all play with fire under the supervison of their parents, there is about 5 of the with thr youngest being about 5 years old.

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
sorry dude!!!we're all freaks.do you send me a mail when you come up to toronto?frankbentzin@hotmail.com

frank bentzin

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
sorry dude!!!we're all freaks.do you send me a mail when you come up to toronto?frankbentzin@hotmail.com

frank bentzin

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
i hear ya pele...i hate ppl who are narrow minded, especally when it comes to a fire performance, ive been knocked back from one show for...get this...the producer thought he knew more about fire them me(ive been manioulateing for 5 or 6 years) and was sure we would burn ourselves so he didnt insure the million doller stage for fire performers, so about 3 hours before the show was suposed to start he told me i wasnt performing anymore...it always hurts when you get knocked back by stupid ppl who dont know what there on about.i would hug you if i could.keep up the flame.adrian.------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...