Forums > Social Chat > Should Children be allowed to spin socks?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Having followed the progress of a number of [Old link] controversies, I have been forced into reassessing some of my basic assumptions about life, intelligence, human development and common sense. Leading me to the non-burning question: should children be allowed to spin socks? (or 'sox', for those in the USA)

Based on two primary axioms: the known addictiveness of spinning ANYTHING, and the apparent lack of logical brain structures in anyone under (what's the latest...56? 21? 18??) here are my reasons why, NO, Children Should Not be Allowed to Spin Socks.

1. Danger of RSI from small repetitive movements especially in developing ligaments.

2.Addictiveness: inevitability of ending up on the hard stuff (garters, fishnet tights)

3. Fumes (particularly applies to teenage boys or the offspring of people who apparently spin burning rubber tyres up to 23 hours a day)

4. Children confusing socks with shoes: possibility of concussion. Particularly as they are drawn towards steel capped boots when trying to look hard (normally difficult when spinning socks...)

5 Addictiveness: child being unable to dress themselves for school unsupervised in case they start spinning and miss the bus

6. Repeated missing school leading to career and associated lifetime disaster

7 Children murdering each other for their socks (well, it's already happened with trainers....)

8 Children getting involved younger and younger, eventually robbing babies of their booties

9 Possibility of being sued by the parents of murdered children or robbed babies for breaching duty of care (or even duty of scare)

10 Lifelong confusion of appropriate placement of footwear: could end up going to the school prom wearing elbow length satin sox

11 Given the similarities of sock spinning and certain behaviours generally associated with psychotic illness (compulsive meaningless behaviours, vacant expressions, confusing psytrance with music), involvement of school psychiatric teams could lead to misdiagnosis and inappropriate therapies including electroshock treatment and psychotropic drugs

12 Developing a taste for electroshock treatment and psychotropic drugs leading to involvement in rave culture ubbloco including glowstringing and associated semantics

13 As no adult, let alone a child, is able to understand what is really happening in the middle of a hyperloop, close peering while trying to work it out could lead to a child's nose being pinched, squints or other facial injury. How are you going to explain to an 8 year old that they are scarred for life? ( ref to # 6 career, social disaster)

14 Underage sox leading to confusion of boundaries and promiscuity. A lifetime of having indiscriminate and compulsive sox with strangers at juggle jams, parties and festivals.

15 Having peaked too early leading to dangerous experimentation eg sock breathing

16 Eventually discovering HoP and then spending 100 times longer on the internet than they other wise would have. Varicose veins, deep vein thrombosis from sitting still too long. Could also happen while attempting 'London' style spinning (from standing in the one place too long)

I'm sure you can all think of plenty more.

My 14 year old daughter (who saw her brother start to spin eek fire at her age and subsequently develop into a world travelling professional; and who is therefore well acquainted with the *knoxious* lifestyle early exposure to the 'manipulative arts' can produce) thinks this is such a serious issue that we should pool our resources for an international campaign to eliminate children from having any contact with socks at all. She thinks that billions of kids getting blisters is worth it, so long as one child is protected from these dangers. If they object that the adults are able to wear socks she said to tell them it's for their own good. We're adults and can think straight.

They have to wait until they turn 18 (...21... 56?) when their brain structures switch on and it will all be OK

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
amen smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
ubblol nothing to add there

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I laughed out loud at number 16.
Even if I tried I could not preach such sarcasm without coming off mean. Well done.

biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
It's all the Americans fault.

bloody americans

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

greddyfirebratBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
i think if you let them practise as much as they want they will become the next genaration

fire is a living thing it can breath and it eats so respect the fire

flamazinejourneyman
91 posts

Posted:
Are you taking the piss out of another thread?

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

smirk

Do you bite your tongue often when its that far in your cheek???

Did Ben demand a private jetty at your place and arent they the best houseguests?? smile

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol

but number 10 is a serious issue.

i'm certainly confused.

cole. x

ubblol glowstringing and associated semantics ubblol

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
OMG number 5

my 4 year old can't get dressed or undressed with spinning every item of clothing
.... or pretty much anything else he gets his hands on ubblovehe makes me proud ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
umm

I thought this was going to be a complete piss take of the £allowed to spin fire" thread... or maybe it is, and im just dumb....

wink damn funny tho... i fear i may be guilty of a few things here, but im not admitting to any of it wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm starting to understand the difference betwen American sarcasm and international sacrasm.

*Yawn*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
actually, now that you mention it - what does "sox" have to do with the USA, except in conjunction with a couple baseball teams?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
what, that american sarcasm usually comes from you and is directed at other people whereas international sarcasm comes from other people and is usually directed at america?

tell me, which makes you laugh more nyc - your sarcasm or other people's...?

tongue

cole. x

p.s. for van ubblol i don't think the imaginary word 'sox' is used in any country of the world other than america - please correct me if i'm wrong...
EDITED_BY: coleman (1115738214)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Because everyone in the USA is stupid and they spell things wrong or else why would it be called "English"?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
cos the Scots are too modest? wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
and the irish are too ironic

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and the welsh already have welsh (the world's most perfect language).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Gabe's a silly lass.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Brilliant thread Gabe ubblol ubblol

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

what, that american sarcasm usually comes from you and is directed at other people whereas international sarcasm comes from other people and is usually directed at america?

No.

It's that my sarcasm usually pokes fun at a situation. The sarcasm directed at me is just a socially acceptable way of punching me in the face.

Of course, it's a rash generalization, but I think it's less socially acceptable in the UK and Australia to be direct in a response.

I tend to point fingers and identify problems specifically. (Either by quoting people directly or using their names.)

I think there are various reasons why 'passive agressive' behavior (like starting this thread) might be more socially acceptable in other societies.

I'm not actually judging (though I'm sure I'll get slammed for this.) I do think there are often situations where an "American" directness is inappropriate and a more "British" politeness is more effective.

This is a trend I've found in many different areas.

I found direct statements like "Mike, you're being a jerk by calling my sister ugly." more of a direct "American" style bluntness. Whereas when I'm in the UK, and looking at UK and Austrailian media, statmenents tend to be less direct like "It's rude to call someone's sister ugly."

The second one can easily be defended by saying "I wasn't saying YOU"...

It's a rash generalization. And I try not to prejudge. But I've found a general trend.

I don't think I've gone a week without someone using "American" in a negative way to describe me, so I figure I get one rash generalization a year for myself.

If people want to take a shot at me, I wish they'd just do it. Then, at least, I'd know who my friends were.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
It's just a boxing match NYC, buddies can box and sparr and still be buddies. It's all lovely depate. I have no enemies on HOP even though I argue alot. And I'm a direct American too, just west coast instead of you sissies in the East. Comeon NYC Quit your pouting and punch me in the face. wink

There new battle, bash on biggrin

Cody Canon

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I wasn't trying to start a fight. I was repsonding to Cole's accusations and reflecting on cultural differences in sarcasm and it's use. And perhaps my lack of exposure to it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"cole's accusations"??!!??? wtf?

what did i accuse you of now dude??? confused

if i ever want to 'take a shot' at you nyc, i will do it directly (not necessarily publicly but that is not the same thing).

to be honest, i doubt that will ever happen.

however, if i want to make light of a situation that has obviously caused tension (i.e. a discussion on this board that has attracted several posters with strong, opposing feelings), i would like to think that i am free to do that without having to worry that you will take it to heart and label it as a veiled personal attack on yourself.

the disagreement i have with you on the 'children spinning fire' thread is posted openly on that thread - i don't feel that disagreeing with you and presenting my opinions in a disussion will affect our friendship in any way if we keep it civilised.

but apparently making light of the disagreement suddenly means i am falsely accusing you of something and taking shots at you? confused

cole. x
EDITED_BY: coleman (1115741368)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Yes, but like a true american I only read what I wanted to read and started the fight to keep you from feeling alone. smile Unlike in europe where they start "Duels" by slapping each other arround with gloves... hey... maybee that's where sock spinng came from. Compared to a glove, a sock with a doorknob in it can do some major damage.

(ther back on topic, your welcome wink)

Cody Canon

nucleonnewbie
404 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cody

Compared to a glove, a sock with a doorknob in it can do some major damage.

(ther back on topic, your welcome wink)

you should wathout with dose kid, I think we can maybe better even fobid you to use those, put them away

so you think Im not a newbie? Ok I'll be the King of the newbies. Nucleon the king of all noobs

NadishomeLiving life to the full!
177 posts

Posted:
Seriously! I joined this site thinking everyone was open minded adn able to accept all as individuals no matter their age, sex, orientation, or background! And yet there are posts like this where people judge children as a whole! Being unable to do certain things!

Yer they're not legally responsible to do certain things and some are incapable of doing others! But lets not judge them! Lets allow them to at least try! If there is no life threating risk then wots a little pain? Surely its better to learn from your own mistake rather than being told!

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think it's a different kind of sarcasm though.

This 'international' sarcasm (which is really primarily UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ)... I'm not having a go at anyone here... but we have all been taught since we were children that you have to be able to take the p!ss out of yourself, before you take it out of anyone else.

You have to be able to laugh at yourself, and allow others to laugh at you... because we're all strange and we all have things to be laughed at - so why not?! Life shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Sarcasm is rarely meant in a cruel way (and if it is, you can usually tell by the tone of voice). And to take it as an insult when it is not meant as such is often seen as a sign of stupidity (at least, it is in this country).

This 'passive aggressive' thing is really a nonsensical term (in my opinion) - because more often than not, people are just playing.

I think, IN SOME CASES, NOT ALL, that people from the US have been brought up with a different sense of humour. And due to that different approach, can be very sensitive to the type of humour people from the UK/Ireland etc use.

Tis a pity.

It does require a bit of practice to become skilled at sarcasm... for proof... go sit in some Irish pub and listen to a couple of women talking biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

Cole, you were accusing me of directing my sarcasm at individials whereas others are not.

That is what I was referring to when I used the phrase "Cole's accusations".

You've never taken a shot at me and I'd be surprised if you did.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
*buddies can box and sparr and still be buddies*

Should that be bocks?

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

Page: