ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ok. Im going to be having a baby shower, but honestly have no idea of what to do at a baby shower... any ideas? biggrin

really your input would be fantastic!! biggrin biggrin hug hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
hug Congratulations hug2

sorry, but ive never been to one, and ive not yet had the privelage of throwing one (what with being 16 and all) but i hope you have oodles of niceness and loverlyness with it biggrin hug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hmm...i've never been to one either!! ubblol

but as far as i can tell...it involves the girls coming around & showering you in lots & lots of baby presents! and balloons & streamers & cake & stuff! umm

hmm...i could be wrong though... ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
It could be loads of women going ooo aaah feeling your belly and giving you little socks, or it could be being showered with babies, the former being msot probable smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
heh... there shall be no babys falling from the sky... I recently found out that the stork doesnt bring the baby... I was most horrified!!

gita can you please pm me your address? that would be most lovely! hug hug hug hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Congrats biggrin

Its like a cool party to have before the baby is born. Sorty girly smile Loads of girl friends come round and give you prezzies for your baby smile Booties and babay shampoo and hats etc etc

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
yep lotsa bubby stuff!

*hands a teeny leetle set of sock poi*

hee hee hug

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
We were talking about haveing one for a while ago .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
cake, tea and women's business

normally involves lots of sharing mother stories, of stories about birth, and showering the new baby with presents before they are born

people would often bring the new mum to be nappies, powder, baby wipes, all the things they have found in their experience helps when the baby is born

and then more tea and cake

at my sisters I painted her toenails... (and on the day she went into labour I was madly trying to remove the nail polish in between contractions ubblol )

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
why were you trying to remove the nail polish ade?? umm

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
my sis thought the doctor would think she was a 'woman of loose morals' rolleyes having painted toenails and being a single mum... ubblol

funny at the time - she was panicing more about the nail polish than the contractions ubblol

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
ubblol omg!! ubblol that's so funny! what colour did you paint her nails? a hot red? wink

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
A baby shower goes something like this:
Hello
Cake
talking
presants
cake
presants
talking
cake

repeat until there is no more presants and no more cake (except for the very last slice which no one will eat 'coz its rude and selfish)

Have fun! hug

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
ubblol @ the babies falling from the sky...hehehe...

awwwww *teeny leetle set of sock poi* how cute is that!

ummmm

perhaps *we* should be baby showering *you* miss chicken! *SUPRISE* .... ubblol

YUP... lots of prezzies and cake and stuff..yup yup... biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Valura's mum is organising the baby shower... but I think she wants some idea on what she can do... tongue wave

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
oh and I won't be there as it's a girlie thing-o... and Miss Pixie... answer your phone, silly duffa... rolleyes hug

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
For my friends baby shower her partner had arranged for a beautician to come along and pamper everyone (mostly the mum-to-be obviously) it was great.

there were lots and lots of presents for the mum and the baby, then everyone got very broody at the sight of lots of tiny clothes, then promised free baby sitting because they are all so excited about the baby (keep a note of this so you can call them up at a moments notice and remind them what they promised because you want to go out for the evening!)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And NO MEN (unless they're gay. ubblol )

Jews don't do baby showers. We consider them bad luck. Which is unfortunate, really because it sets you back a bit on having your supplies lined up for when the baby's born.

Having said that, don't expect any presents from me until after little Bub is born.

But yes, cake, ice cream, presents, wash, rinse, repeat...that's my understanding.

AND NO MEN (unless they're gay ubblol )

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I find it really bizarre that everyone seems to be saying "no men". The baby showers I've been to have had equal representation from both sexes. Since the couple is really good friends with many other couples, we opted to include the guys in the actual party. More fun was had that way in my opinion.

Yes, there was cake as well as other appetizer yummy goodness. Yes, there were prezzies of all sizes and shapes. Yes, there was drinking done by the guys as they mostly congregated outside, but they did enjoy it, and did participate in the prezzie giving.

Basically, you can play games at them if you feel like it, but most of my friends didn't want any part of that, so they just opted for regular chatting and being social.

Amber Flamesmember
58 posts

Posted:
You could have the baby shower after the baby is born then you get to have lots of champagne too! wink

And people can buy more appropriate pressies... And you can have a party without having to get a baby-sitter because its at your house and you can off-load the baby onto the many broody girlies you've invited and get plastered!

Axx

Usually me on fire (rather than flames being amber coloured)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Er was it after you were prgenant that you realised the stork didnt bring the baby? ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: gita

ubblol omg!! ubblol that's so funny! what colour did you paint her nails? a hot red? wink

uhuh ubblol ubblol

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
nice one ade...:D *starts thinking about what colour to paint chicken's toenails* wink

i like the hello talking presents cake talking etc. thing!! ubblol oh, and the bit about pampering the mum to be!! methinks chicken will be very spoilt! biggrin

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
Well, I know that if you want to do games you could do the one where they gues the number of toilet paper squares it takes to go around your tummy and play the guess the preggo's weight
I am about to have one of those things too
kiss kiss

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Since, once upon a time, I was a party planner, there are loads to do at a shower....
AND it is no longer customary to not have the men there. It is a very cool thing to have the men, especially the dad to be there, to share in the day because it is *his* baby after all too.

Other things to do other than chatting, eating and pressies.

Take a ring of yours and tie it on a string and hold it still over the belly. If it swings side to side it is a girl, if it swings up and down it is a boy. It is a gypsy thing that can be quite fun.

Taste test. Take the labels off the jars of baby food and have people taste them and see if they can guess what it is. (This is quite funny since most baby food tastes quite bad! lol)

If there are men there we put beer in baby bottles and had them race to drink it from the bottle. Seeing grown men try to chug from a rubber nipple is priceless!

A blessing quilt. Everyone is given a square of fabric a week or two before the shower. Each person then draws/writes something on it and they are sewn together into a baby blanket. It is one of the most precious things I think I have ever participated in and it such a keepsake. (In fact, I would love to do this for Valura anyway, if anyone is interested)

A piece of advice and a wish for the future, written on a card.
What I have done in the past is given each guest a card or piece of paper at the beginning of the shower (and it is forewarned on the invitation so people have time to think). Then they fill out the piece of advice to the parents and the wish for the child and sign it. These are read out loud and given with the gift so they can be put into a keepsake book.

I also recomend that unless you know if you are having a boy or girl that you ask for gift certificates for clothing, so you don't end up with tonnes of pastel green and yellow clothes (unless you would like that).

There are also silly games, like guess the measurement of the mum's belly. Everyone writes on a paper their estimate, then the belly is measured and the winner receives a small prize.
Clothes pin game...everyone is given a clothes pin and they have to bend over and going through their legs they have to see how high they can pin it up on their back.
Stuff like that. Some people really like this (and the eventual humiliation it causes their friends), some don't. If you do, I can send you a list of them.

I have also made a special label with the baby name and such on it and put it on a bottle of wine. I gave that with a little gift bag of baby bottles. One gift for now and one for the future (in this case, 21 years.) wink

The one big thing to remember is that it should not be stressful. This is a time for the couple to celebrate their blessing with everyone they love and should not come with alot of stress and drama. I have seen it happen and it is sad.

That all being said:

My piece of advice to you Valura and Arsn is patience and allowance. Have the patience to allow everything to happen naturally. You will hear horror stories and joyful stories from everyone, but keep in mind they do not have *YOUR* baby, which is a unique, special, blessed individual who will be different from every other child out there. Don't fret when s/he does not match the stories, because the joy in the experience is the uniqueness of it, and then you will have stories all your own to share.

My wish for the little one:

To appreciate everything in life. All too often people get lost in trying to reach their destination and their goals but remember the journey, the little stepping stones along the way, are what makes life brilliant. I wish for you to have the ability to stop and recognize all those moments, the ones that seem good and the ones that seem not-so-good, for the positive and wonderful things they are, so that you will never feel like life has passed you by.

My love to all three of you.
hug
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh pele!!Thank you so much... you just made me all teary. hug hug hug hug hug I will copy that onto a card for lil bub.

GAMES! yeah Im gunna do a search and see if I can find more! smile smile ubblol ubblol smile