Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Apex Poi Courses - Beginners and Intermediate

Login/Join to Participate

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
smileHi folks! smile

Here’s the details of the next Beginners and Intermediate Poi Spinning courses. Updates are also available at www.poispinning.com. Places are limited so book early to avoid disappointment! biggrin

ubbrollsmileThe next Beginners Poi Courses will run as follows:

June course: starts June 6th 2005
Mon (Camden Town) 7:30 - 9:30pm
(Unfortunately there is no Elephant and Castle course in June...)

July courses: start July 18th & 19th
Mon (Camden Town) 7:30 - 9:30pm
Tues (Elephant & Castle) 7:30 - 9:30pm

Exact venue details are provided once you have booked on the course. Price: £75(concs available). Here's whats on the course...

The Beginners course will teach you about thirty basic moves and how to put them all together so that you can flow from one to the other. Starting at the very beginning with how to hold your poi, we swiftly go on to moves such as reels, tuck turns, the weave, the backwards weave, the windmill, the butterfly and the fountain. (If you can do all of these moves already contact me regarding the Intermediate course). We will also explore basic concepts such as turns, follow time, linking moves together, and opposite directions, allowing you to begin to invent and explore your own moves and style. The course culminates in a show, so we will also work on choreography and presentation. Expect to work hard but have a good laugh with the others!

ubbrollsmileThe next Intermediate Poi courses will run as follows:

June course: starts June 8th 2005
Weds (Camden Town) 7:30 - 9:30pm

July course: starts July 20th 2005
Weds (Camden Town) 7:30 - 9:30pm

Price £75 (concs available). There are 12 places in total available on the course.

The Intermediate course focuses on how to invent new tricks and develop your own style, helping you make poi your own. Each lesson will explore a new concept, (for example alternating, take outs, mixing planes etc) using several tricks as examples, that will enable you to invent your own moves based on that concept. The course will also look at new tricks such as waist wraps, stops, push thrus and behind the back weave.

weavesmileyYour teachers will be Me (Michal Kahn) Monique Aislabe and Kevin Shaw.
Monique is an established performer, performing solo as the Ginger Ninja and as part of the international fire troupe Surface Tension. She has been teaching poi for several years, and until recently ran her own courses in Camden Town. She has been extremely popular with students on the Apex poi courses, and is known for her warm, patient and intuitive style of teaching.
Kevin has been juggling for over 14 years and began his poi career by teaching his teacher moves after the first 5 minutes! Since then he has been teaching and performing all over the world. In total Kevin has taught several thousand students, both informally and at juggling workshops, and is generally acknowledged to be both a cutting edge spinner and an excellent teacher.
I have been teaching poi for several years both to members of the public and to students at The Circus Space and Circomedia. I also run choreography courses for professional circus performers, and organise circus showcase cabarets. I have worked as a performer for several years performing at festivals, film premiers and corporate events, both solo and as part of Apex and Surface Tension. I have also written the first instruction book on poi spinning which is available in the shops now.

juggleTo reserve a place or if you have any queries, contact me at courses@poispinning.com or 07905 949 441.

Well, I look forward to hearing from you.

See you soon! wink

Michal Kahn

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
ooo forgot to mention that as always, the courses are 6 weeks long!

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
6 places left on the June courses - lots more left on the july courses at present!

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
5 places left on June beginners, 6 on June Intermediates. July courses still have plenty of places!

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
5 places left on each of the June courses, 10 on each of the July courses. Can't wait to spin in the sun!

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
4 places left on june beginners, 5 on june intermediates. Plenty left for July!

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
still a few places left....

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
three left on june beginners, three on june intermediates!

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
june beginners is now full, three places left on the intermediate course tho, and still lots on the july courses! xxx

michal@juggler.net

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
June courses allready started, and July courses starting to fill but still plenty of space! x

michal@juggler.net

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I can't recommend these courses highly enough, they taught me a hell of a lot when I did them a while back smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.