Forums > Help! > glowstring questions

Login/Join to Participate

iammrpoopypantsSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
This could very well be the friendliest forum on the net. I've been to quite a few, on various topics, but never have I read such friendly responses to new posters. I could really get into a community like this. biggrin

I am so new, that I've never even tried to spin yet, since I don't want to form any bad habbits.

What I need to know first off, is if I start with regular glowsticks(dirt cheap here in Taiwan, and dead ones are the same wieght right?) and shoelaces;
**How do I hold the strings?
I watched a few of the lessons, but it is tough to see. At first I had assumed that you just grab it and make a fist, but that doesn't look like what she is doing. If anyone has;
**A zoomed in pick of your hand with string attached
it would help a lot, thanks.
The ones for sale on this and other web sites seem to have 2 loops, and I'm not sure;
**how do I tie loops into a shoestring(close up pic?)

Thanks all, I'm loving this place already, even looking forward to my first attempt to decapitate myself trying something fancy ubbloco

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
if i told you "lark's head knot" would that mean anything to you? sorry, i dont have pics, but if you know your knots that should help. one loop on each of your first two fingers.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

10 posts

Posted:
https://www.ehow.com/how_13480_make-larks-head.html

it does now lol. Gotta love google clap

thanks!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and well done for actually taking the initative to look for something instead of asking others what it is and expecting an answer. smile

THere are many who do that.

hug

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
Glowsticks are always the same weight if they are dead or not.

It really doesnt matter how you hold your strings. It's mostly prefrence *I usely wrap the string over my index finger once so I can easly transition between one and two handed moves*

Flat shoelaces are better for airwraps, Orbitals/Hyperloops and tangles.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
How do you guys tie them on, or does it matter? I just put the lace through the hole and tie some knots, then I bit off the hooks. There are some really nice ultra thin glowsticks getting around that seem easier to spin for some reason smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

10 posts

Posted:
thanks guys, I was getting a little too fixated on the technical I think.
I have an empty gym in my appt building(new, with no equipment) so I think I'll go down this weekend and just start trying things.
Originally when I asked someone back home how the girl we saw swinging got into it he told me she said "I just saw someone, and started in my backyard"
Then I came here, and found out about instructional videos, and all these forums. Kinda overwhelming. eek

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
raaaaaa

thats exactly what i did too smile

cept i got me a stick. no not a glo one. a big one smile

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"then I bit off the hooks."

Try using a lighter to melt them off.

Honestly, it works perfectly and you wont get plasticy gums.

:bite:

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: iammrpoopypants

I have an empty gym in my appt building(new, with no equipment)

that rocks!

i need to find somewhere like that to live...

"wanted: reasonably priced 1 bedroom flat in east london. must be close to a central line station and rent should include 24 hour access to an adjoining hall with 25ft ceilings."

and it has to allow pets too cos when i move in there i'll be getting me one of them cool flying pigs wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and for only £100 a week smile

10 posts

Posted:
lol, actually it is a 2 bedroom, for about 70 pound/week(I don't have that symbol)

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
note to self: move to taiwan

Viva UGLY STAFF

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I have regular poi double fingerloops attached to my strings. Maybe it's just me but I like the ability to move the loops up and down my fingers as I see fit. I find some patterns are better spun with the loops at the base of my fingers ( flowers, buzzsaw, spiral wraps et. al.) while some seem to work better with the loops closer to the tips of my fingers.

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
You can also do the method where you have a glowstick on each end and hold onto the sticks as handles. That'll let you do various switching moves.

Shawn